The Invisible Man Review & Comments

I’m loving seeing Moss carve herself (pun intended) a genre career.

Solid 8 from me, a taught, tense, decent thriller. Pity there were maybe five people in my showing at 7pm last night though.

Whenever I hear about a film to do with invisibility isn't it basically what blind people have to deal with every day?
They just attune their other senses to compensated as much they can.

Unless as well as being invisible the person is also utterly soundless and nonsmelling as well....

So is this related to Tom Cruise's The Mummy? As in they are both part of the Dark Universe? Because this is completely different in nature and would be, what, the forth time Universal have tried to resurrect their Universal Monsters franchises after The Wolfman, Dracula Untold and The Mummy?

So is this related to Tom Cruise's The Mummy? As in they are both part of the Dark Universe? Because this is completely different in nature and would be, what, the forth time Universal have tried to resurrect their Universal Monsters franchises after The Wolfman, Dracula Untold and The Mummy?
While an Invisible Man reboot was originally conceived that way, following several redevelopments, this film is not part of Universal's 'Dark Universe'.
Dark Universe will likely simply be a label Universal uses for its in-house monster movies. The idea of shared stories or crossovers is currently dead.

Thanks for the review. Makes a nice change that we’ve had a solid start to the year, the gentleman, dark waters, 1917, parasite and even bad boys for life.

not seen any of them yet, think I’ll wait for their 4k releases.

Not sure how I feel about the closing scenes. Given that the whole film really makes you increasingly
empathise with Moss' victim of domestic abuse, having her commit a cold blooded murder undoes that to an extent.

you have NOT hidden the spoiler have you?

you have NOT hidden the spoiler have you?
Really sorry about that. As I entered it, the bracketed spoiler didn't take for some reason. I did redo it within about 10 seconds, as it was imediately apparent (to my horror), but big apologies.

did rather nail the film for me - shame I couldn't not see the spoiler - definition of irony?

Not seen anything of this film till now, looks good though :)

Brilliant film, full of dark, shocking twists & turns, expertly handles the whole invisible man aspect.
Super tense throughout, Moss is amazing as always!
I had a great 2 hours at the cinema.
Easy strong 8/10 for me

Thanks for the review; this sounds good to me, have mentally added it to my watch list.

Mercifully there's been no knee-jerk reaction (yet) to the content of this review c.f. Birds Of Prey... :)

What seems a little curious to me with the various reviews I've read/skimmed (to avoid spoilers) is that the Verhoeven version ("Hollow Man", but essentially the same premise) doesn't seem to get a mention any more. I remember enjoying that when it was released but will admit I've not seen it since.

Thanks for the review; this sounds good to me, have mentally added it to my watch list.

Mercifully there's been no knee-jerk reaction (yet) to the content of this review c.f. Birds Of Prey... :)

What seems a little curious to me with the various reviews I've read/skimmed (to avoid spoilers) is that the Verhoeven version ("Hollow Man", but essentially the same premise) doesn't seem to get a mention any more. I remember enjoying that when it was released but will admit I've not seen it since.

Hollowman is a brilliant film but it seems to almost be like a hidden gem nowadays. I'm not sure why as it still holds up well today but is rarely mentioned.

...Pity there were maybe five people in my showing at 7pm last night though.
Only about the same in my showing yesterday....

Although this is a film I might wait to appear in other media, the premiss looks sound, and Elizabeth Moss apparently really sells this very well. If it doesn't do very well despite being a decent film with decent reviews then part of that maybe to do with some of the media spin (or "hot takes") on the film. So let's hope more people go to see it.

So let's hope more people go to see it.

It's already well into profit -

Brilliant film, full of dark, shocking twists & turns, expertly handles the whole invisible man aspect.
Super tense throughout, Moss is amazing as always!
I had a great 2 hours at the cinema.
Easy strong 8/10 for me
I’m raising my score to a 9/10, it was really amazing filmmaking, Leigh Wannel has hit it outta the park again, I thought upgrade was great but this takes it up a notch for me.

Watched this on opening night with the wife. We both thought it was excellent. Basically 2 hours of nail-biting tension. I did prefer Upgrade, but this is still a solid 9/10 from me.

We had quite a full screening as well which was nice. Maybe 100 people or so at a 9pm showing .

I love pretty much everything Whannell is associated with. If I see his name attached to a new film, I'm there in the queue for it. I loved the direction in parts, making you think the invisible man is there, somewhere, hiding in the corner. And those really subtle moments
where something moves ever so slightly and you're not sure if you just really saw it or not.

I loved loved LOVED the scene where she escapes from the hospital and they're trying to drag her back to her cell. Going to buy this when it's released on blu-ray and rewatch that bit again!

Thought this was extremely average and predtictable. Maybe I'm getting old but I could literally predict scene by scene, there was no twist to speak off as you could tell what would unfold a mile away.

Really no different to Hallow Man just a different scenario type film.

2.5/5

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom