The irrational and not-so-irrational annoyances thread

Those prone to insect bites... I can't recommend this highly enough.

I've carried one of these on my keyring for a good 5 or 6 years, even used it last night after being bitten by a horsefly. These little bastards are evil and probably the worst bitters ever.

Used immediately will reduce swelling and itching. Prior to owning it I would have had a sleep deprived night, waking hourly applying insect spray. And suffering for days after with little or no relief from chemical intervention.
We have a similar one. It does help.

Totally rational annoyance.

When your family treats you like free IT/tech support just because you own a computer.

If you can't operate a simple, non-smartphone then I'm not getting involved.
The phone should come with instructions on how to add contacts. fudgeing read them!

I work all week and look forward to doing as little as possible on my weekends off.
I'm not sitting down and inputting someone else's contacts into their phone for them.

Rant over.

Last edited:

When your family treats you like free IT/tech support just because you own a computer.

The phone should come with instructions on how to add contacts. fudgeing ready them!

I work all week and look forward to doing as little as possible on my weekends off.
I'm not sitting down and inputting someone else's contacts into their phone for them.

Rant over.
Surely they can import from sim or last phone? Who manually inputs?!

my lady's received her private pension statement and she's lost 3k since the start of this year...expect everyone's in the same boat, and will get worse?

Surely they can import from sim or last phone? Who manually inputs?!

No idea.
Family issues meant they couldn’t keep old phone and service provider won’t transfer numbers because old phone wasn’t bought them, even though contract is in their name.
I’m not getting involved with drama, but getting dragged in to sort out simple phone stuff that is easy to sort out alone.

Inputting manually isn’t hard at all.

My contacts all sync with Google - they just follow me from device to device without any of this importing malarkey

The phone should come with instructions on how to add contacts. fudgeing ready them!

Rant over.

Know this feeling. I’m well known within my family n friends of being able to rescue laptops / desktops that are “dead” or “all my data is gone!” Or “this is faulty!”

Never failed yet in resurrecting a laptop / desktop, but when you do it all day for work, I don’t really want to be doing it on my evenings as well.

my lady's received her private pension statement and she's lost 3k since the start of this year...expect everyone's in the same boat, and will get worse?

£3k? I lost well into 5 figures and i’ve still been putting in!

Me too. Although still 25 years off retirement!

I'm retiring when I'm 59 (9 years time)...we'll more than likely won't have a great deal of cash, but we would have worked long enough...

Glasses arm fell off on taking glasses off. Have looked at them after spending 30 mins trying to screw back the arm to the frame - the screw plate is bent. Sole other pair of glasses I have are 3 years old and my vision isn't brilliant in them. Oh joy.

Need to beg to my parents to go to the opticians tomorrow to get the glasses fixed. Its really annoying as they are less than a year old.

Glasses arm fell off on taking glasses off. Have looked at them after spending 30 mins trying to screw back the arm to the frame - the screw plate is bent. Sole other pair of glasses I have are 3 years old and my vision isn't brilliant in them. Oh joy.

Need to beg to my parents to go to the opticians tomorrow to get the glasses fixed. Its really annoying as they are less than a year old.

I remember back in the late 90s - I'd went to my usual pub (7pm ish, summer time, tanners arms..) and I'd ordered my first pint...the screw fell out of one of my arms - and for some reason the screw was at the bottom...i saw it fall out the corner of my eye, but as for finding it, no hope...ran home (some 3-4 miles), taped them up and back to the pub, most likely had to buy a new pint too...

Know this feeling. I’m well known within my family n friends of being able to rescue laptops / desktops that are “dead” or “all my data is gone!” Or “this is faulty!”

Never failed yet in resurrecting a laptop / desktop, but when you do it all day for work, I don’t really want to be doing it on my evenings as well.

Thing is, I'm not exactly a tech wizard.
I used to have a custom built PC years ago, which a friend help me build.
I have installed a new CPU onto a new motherboard and installed a new graphics card, and set up the PC to working order when said friend wasn't around to help.
That was back in 2003.

Since then I've moved over to Mac(as of 2008) and currently own a 2015 MacBook pro.

Yet somehow I'm the one called on whenever someone can't do something with their computer or phone.

Basically, I know how to set up and use what I own.
That doesn't make me an expert by any stretch of the imagination.

I'm retiring when I'm 59 (9 years time)...we'll more than likely won't have a great deal of cash, but we would have worked long enough...

On at least one of my pensions, the amount goes up by around 60% between retiring at 55 or if I push another 5 years to 60.

I'm not suggesting you don't know your own pension, but wondering if yours hikes up on hitting your 60th or not? Would hate you to lose out on (a lot) of money :)

Thing is, I'm not exactly a tech wizard.
I used to have a custom built PC years ago, which a friend help me build.
I have installed a new CPU onto a new motherboard and installed a new graphics card, and set up the PC to working order when said friend wasn't around to help.
That was back in 2003.

Since then I've moved over to Mac(as of 2008) and currently own a 2015 MacBook pro.

Yet somehow I'm the one called on whenever someone can't do something with their computer or phone.

Basically, I know how to set up and use what I own.
That doesn't make me an expert by any stretch of the imagination.

Similar here (I'm sure these tales resonate with lots of members of an AV forum). I work for a technology company and have spent many years working with a laptop as well as other tools. I've never worked in, nor claimed to be particularly proficient at I.T. but my family & friends have always just made the link that because I use a computer, I must know how to fix them.

Most of my family drive, but none of them could change an engine afaik...

Fortunately I have worked for enough technology firms that I can spout real terminology to watch the brains of people's brains melt when they try that.
:devil:

Similar here (I'm sure these tales resonate with lots of members of an AV forum). I work for a technology company and have spent many years working with a laptop as well as other tools. I've never worked in, nor claimed to be particularly proficient at I.T. but my family & friends have always just made the link that because I use a computer, I must know how to fix them.

Most of my family drive, but none of them could change an engine afaik...

Unfortunately I have an actual doctorate in computing so nowhere to hide really. Luckily most of my 'tutorials' seem to have worked, like 'how to find that file that was there a second so and is now gone' and so on, so the callouts are few and far between now.

BBB (Bullshit Baffles Brains) is your friend :)

Unfortunately I have an actual doctorate in computing so nowhere to hide really. Luckily most of my 'tutorials' seem to have worked, like 'how to find that file that was there a second so and is now gone' and so on, so the callouts are few and far between now.

:rotfl:
1596964704695.png

I'm not religious in the slightest, but was always raised to believe that Sunday is a 'day of rest'. So growing up, we were told that we shouldn't make much noise first thing in case neighbours are having a lie-in etc...

So being woken every weekend day by the Trunchbull bellowing at her kids is becoming tedious. I almost went out to have a chat this morning, but the wife doesn't like it when I confront people (no matter how politely).

I suppose I could ring the housing association on Monday, for all the good it'll do...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom