The irrational and not-so-irrational annoyances thread

I used to work for O2 during the mid 00s when their adverts was the bubbles, with dreadful music. Even phoning internal lines I had to endure the music.

I remember ringing a call centre which had decent hold music of 80s music. I was singing to Spandu Ballet’s Gold. I was connected to someone and must have got disconnected as heard me singing and thought “nah”

My mate who is still stuck in the 70s. Don't get me wrong, he's a great mate and I've known him for over 45 years but...

Normally he comes round every Friday night and he picks up the fish and chips en route to mine and we have a few beers and put the world to right. As he pays for the chips, I get us £10 of Euromillions tickets online between us. He doesn't do online lottery and he doesn't even do his premium bonds online so every time he wins he has to go to the bank and pay the cheques in :facepalm: During the main lockdown he left the paying in of his winning cheques too long and they expired.

But since March we obviously haven't had this get-together so he decides to pay me in bulk for his half of the lottery tickets in cash. I say that I don't need any more cash and ask if he could do a bank transfer. No he can't because he and his wife don't do that, in fact they don't even do any online banking. So it ends up with me accepting £100 in cash only to find it's in the old style £20 notes. I don't know when I'll spend them and when they'll be withdrawn. So for the next lot of payments he had to go to his bank and do the transfer at the counter into my account. What a carry on!

What is wrong with people who won't even consider online banking? It's not like they don't have the internet, they do and his wife does the occassional online purchase. If we have a big win on the lottery, I can see me having to write him a cheque for a stupid amount and then wait a few weeks for him to actually pay it in.

My mate who is still stuck in the 70s. Don't get me wrong, he's a great mate and I've known him for over 45 years but...

Normally he comes round every Friday night and he picks up the fish and chips en route to mine and we have a few beers and put the world to right. As he pays for the chips, I get us £10 of Euromillions tickets online between us. He doesn't do online lottery and he doesn't even do his premium bonds online so every time he wins he has to go to the bank and pay the cheques in :facepalm: During the main lockdown he left the paying in of his winning cheques too long and they expired.

But since March we obviously haven't had this get-together so he decides to pay me in bulk for his half of the lottery tickets in cash. I say that I don't need any more cash and ask if he could do a bank transfer. No he can't because he and his wife don't do that, in fact they don't even do any online banking. So it ends up with me accepting £100 in cash only to find it's in the old style £20 notes. I don't know when I'll spend them and when they'll be withdrawn. So for the next lot of payments he had to go to his bank and do the transfer at the counter into my account. What a carry on!

What is wrong with people who won't even consider online banking? It's not like they don't have the internet, they do and his wife does the occassional online purchase. If we have a big win on the lottery, I can see me having to write him a cheque for a stupid amount and then wait a few weeks for him to actually pay it in.

A test of the friendship if one of those EuroMillions won big.

Is it your ticket?
Is it his ticket?
Does it even matter, they are all in your name, tough?

Cheers,

Nigel

A test of the friendship if one of those EuroMillions won big.

Is it your ticket?
Is it his ticket?
Does it even matter, they are all in your name, tough?

Cheers,

Nigel

This one passed the test:

England cricket selectors, why do they keep picking Jason Roy, he’s a liability most of the time these days :(

Just brought the washing in due to it raining. On checking the BBC weather, it tells me my postcode has 0% chance of rain at this time.

Just brought the washing in due to it raining. On checking the BBC weather, it tells me my postcode has 0% chance of rain at this time.
Check to see if next door has his hose aimed over your fence again

Just been to a pub for a meal (first time since lockdown).

A lady at table next to us ordered a second glass of wine and took just two sips.

Another couple, ordered meals with an extra side of chips, hardly eaten any on both on main plate and side.

Annoys me when see people dine out but hardly eat anything. If you aren’t that hungry, order a lighter dish or go somewhere that caters for lighter dishes

Neighbours urinating on me from their upstairs windows continues to be an issue.
Get the Dark Sky app, which is mostly very accurate at predicting imminent rainfall. It's saved my washing many a time.

Unless you're on Android, as Apple bought them out and now deny Android users as they're integrating it into their own weather app.

A lady at table next to us ordered a second glass of wine and took just two sips.

Another couple, ordered meals with an extra side of chips, hardly eaten any on both on main plate and side.

Annoys me when see people dine out but hardly eat anything. If you aren’t that hungry, order a lighter dish or go somewhere that caters for lighter dishes
I've just taken the missus down the local for a bite to eat. We got there at 2pm, when the kitchen closes.

You'd think when pubs are trying to recover that they'd keep the kitchen open a bit longer.

It’s the people that still insist of paying bills at the post office. Especially on Monday mornings. Go any other time and either walk to a counter or queue is less than four people

Agreed. Also annoys me when you take a woman out for a meal and she doesn’t order any chips with hers but then proceeds to nick half of yours. I want to say ‘fudge off, these are mine, get your own!’ never been brave enough to say it yet ;)

Last edited:
Agreed. Also annoys me when you take a woman out for a meal and she doesn’t order any chips with hers but then proceeds to nick half of yours. I want to say ‘fudge off, these are mine, get your own!’ never been brave enough to say it yet ;)
I have but the few extra chips weren't worth the days of snidey comments that followed!

God, this post gave me flashbacks of my childhood;

'Why aren't you eating that [insert disgusting vegetable here*], there are kids starving in Africa y'know'

I was 6 when Live Aid ran in '85, I fudging knew all about Africa starving, but between Sting, Queen, Bob Geldof and my mum I couldn't for the life of me fathom how not eating a plate of food in my house in the U.K. would ever help a kid in Africa :confused:.

*A special shout out goes to Mushrooms, which are surely the fruits of the Devil :zonked:

God, this post gave me flashbacks of my childhood;

'Why aren't you eating that [insert disgusting vegetable here*], there are kids starving in Africa y'know'

I was 6 when Live Aid ran in '85, I fudging knew all about Africa starving, but between Sting, Queen, Bob Geldof and my mum I couldn't for the life of me fathom how not eating a plate of food in my house in the U.K. would ever help a kid in Africa :confused:.

*A special shout out goes to Mushrooms, which are surely the fruits of the Devil :zonked:

Just said to my girlfriend while she was cooking them, mushrooms smell like sweaty arse :rotfl:

The spanners across the road from us, who treat the turning bay like an extension of their drive. It's mainly visitors who are the worst. Just park smack bang in the middle rather than keep their cars to one side so people can still use it for it's purpose...to turn. Think I might start parking the car in the middle in front of their drive and see how they like it....

There's an old boy that lives in a 40mph zone on the school run. A couple of times I've seen him gesticulating by the side of the road and shouting at drivers to 'SLOW DOWN!'. He's done it to me twice now, both times I've been doing 40mph or just under.

I might stop next time he does it and shout back 'KNOCK IT OFF MELDREW!'

Oh to be old and have fudge all better with your time than to police drivers and kids having fun. Miserable so and so. I'd bet he's defo a card-carrying member of the 40mph club too...

And yes, I do see the irony in me whinging about him :laugh:

There's an old boy that lives in a 40mph zone on the school run. A couple of times I've seen him gesticulating by the side of the road and shouting at drivers to 'SLOW DOWN!'. He's done it to me twice now, both times I've been doing 40mph or just under.

I might stop next time he does it and shout back 'KNOCK IT OFF MELDREW!'

Oh to be old and have fudge all better with your time than to police drivers and kids having fun. Miserable so and so. I'd bet he's defo a card-carrying member of the 40mph club too...

And yes, I do see the irony in me whinging about him :laugh:
Oh I do love the older generation, they really are invinsible. I've had many arguments on the road with grumpy old men in a Honda Jazz's etc. If they were younger, they'd probably not make it home alive with what they say to us whipper snappers :laugh:

I am currently sat watching a tech support guy, team viewing on one of our laptops trying to resolve a huge issue with one of our world wide sites.
I've just seen him try the same solution (that we've already done) 9 times o_O
I've told everyone involved that one particular device is shot to bits, but we need this numpty to say it before we can order the 9K unit to replace it :(:(

I'm losing the will here :facepalm:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom