The irrational and not-so-irrational annoyances thread

went to the chippy before (amazing fish and chips!), but when they handed me my change i instantly realised the fiver felt quite rough (more the old type rather than the new type..), and just checked it now and it's one of the worst fakes I've seen...

just hope they accept again when I next pay a visit..

went to the chippy before (amazing fish and chips!), but when they handed me my change i instantly realised the fiver felt quite rough (more the old type rather than the new type..), and just checked it now and it's one of the worst fakes I've seen...

just hope they accept again when I next pay a visit..

I haven't used cash for so long I saw a 'new' £20 the other day and had no idea if it was real or not.

I haven't used cash for so long I saw a 'new' £20 the other day and had no idea if it was real or not.

it's rare i deal with cash these days, in fact rare i spend any money at all..!! but my lady goes shopping and i pay for for my weekly booze (18 quid) so i just normally pay cash...i took a walk to the cashpoint before the chippy and just paid cash there, and defo will be next time too..!

The only time I use cash these days is when I go to Badbury Rings because the car park ticket machine doesn't take cards.

it's rare i deal with cash these days, in fact rare i spend any money at all..!! but my lady goes shopping and i pay for for my weekly booze (18 quid) so i just normally pay cash...i took a walk to the cashpoint before the chippy and just paid cash there, and defo will be next time too..!
18 quid for booze that is a decent amount...as we dont go out dining right now we spend more I guess for home consumption. We dont use cash often...UK credit card is still worth it for most spending here in France for us anyway... even with the exchange rates which are at their lowest for obvious brexit reasonsand some banks closing down already...., expats accounts...barstewards the lot of them........we have mobile fish and chips here but choose to cook our own,,,beer batter for the fish...yummie...

Only time I use cash is when I'm at the strip club*

*Never been and my girlfriend said I'm not allowed :(
Why is that:laugh:
Gerrybuilt many years ago went to a works do which the venue was a strip club and I was really surprised how embrassed he was...like the females pick you out and make comments that just cause laughs to all the others...but not the plant.....two sides.....

Why is that:laugh:
Gerrybuilt many years ago went to a works do which the venue was a strip club and I was really surprised how embrassed he was...like the females pick you out and make comments that just cause laughs to all the others...but not the plant.....two sides.....

Well she said I could afterwards but I got 'The look' :eek:

18 quid for booze that is a decent amount...as we dont go out dining right now we spend more I guess for home consumption. We dont use cash often...UK credit card is still worth it for most spending here in France for us anyway... even with the exchange rates which are at their lowest for obvious brexit reasonsand some banks closing down already...., expats accounts...barstewards the lot of them........we have mobile fish and chips here but choose to cook our own,,,beer batter for the fish...yummie...

yeah, i only drink of a fri and sat night...if we don't go out (or even if we do!) then I'll sink a bottle of port and a bottle of lidl rum.. :) but don't drink during the week, waste of time..

do i have a healthy relationship with drink? who knows, i drink to get drunk of a weekend and chill out.. :)

yeah, i only drink of a fri and sat night...if we don't go out (or even if we do!) then I'll sink a bottle of port and a bottle of lidl rum.. :) but don't drink during the week, waste of time..

do i have a healthy relationship with drink? who knows, i drink to get drunk of a weekend and chill out.. :)
Just need to lisen to Dr Di more my friend...ok in moderation/controlled to some degree but the future of too much can be short or painful to some only of course....why weekends..obviously a wind down from work or.....

Just need to lisen to Dr Di more my friend...ok in moderation/controlled to some degree but the future of too much can be short or painful to some only of course....why weekends..obviously a wind down from work or.....

yeah, have a stressful job and can't be drinking of a school night...used to have the odd glass of wine during the week, but it got to the stage where a glass would last most of the night so decided it was a complete waste of time...tho, there are the odd night where I'd fancy a beer but seldom act on it...

friday - hard exercise and little food (drunk fast) couple glasses of port, one of poncha (imported from maderia) and lemonade, then one or two glasses of rum and lemonade..

saturday the same - but normally have a big meal whether it be home or a B&B / hotel....

yeah, have a stressful job and can't be drinking of a school night...used to have the odd glass of wine during the week, but it got to the stage where a glass would last most of the night so decided it was a complete waste of time...tho, there are the odd night where I'd fancy a beer but seldom act on it...

friday - hard exercise and little food (drunk fast) couple glasses of port, one of poncha (imported from maderia) and lemonade, then one or two glasses of rum and lemonade..

saturday the same - but normally have a big meal whether it be home or a B&B / hotel....
Yeah understand completely....I can go back to when my first who is older than you and now dis- owned sadly would take him to playschool at 3 years old and got so stressed about picking him up would take some alco just to calm the feelings...so do know about stress and how to live with it...eventually

Last edited:
Watching a YouTube video on my iPad and pressing fast forward on my Virgin remote control and wondering why nothing happens :facepalm: Time to stop drinking and go to bed I think:D

Spent ages yesterday putting the new thermostat time back one hour, only to get up this morning in cold and realising it did it automatically.

The BBC news reports about free school dinners present a very interesting image of what a school dinner looks like. This is the photo they are using.

F8409E42-0941-4775-8FEC-2A472435DCC3.jpeg

Interested to hear your experiences of what school dinners today.

In my experience over the last 20 years, the schools that my children went to and the schools that my wife has worked at, the traditional school canteen is long gone. Instead they have been replaced by cafes with only enough tables and seats to serve a small proportion of the students at a time. Back in the 70s and 80s our parents bought dinner tickets that could be exchanged for a school dinner. And all joking aside, that meant you had very limited choice but you got a balanced nutritious meal. Now the kids get money on an electronic account to spend in the cafe. Generally, they can spend it on what they want, there is decent food on offer but that is not usually what the kids go for - they will usually spend their dinner money on chips, crisps, bottles of soft drink and cake. The cafes are often outsourced to the likes of Sodexo who really don’t care what the kids are buying. The schools try by getting sweets, chocolate, fizzy pop removed but there are still plenty of unhealthy combinations left.

When students get free school dinners what they actually get is money put on their electronic account to spend in the cafe.

I’m not against the idea of school meals but this idea that it is the only way disadvantaged kids get a nutritious meal needs to be fact-checked. The BBC needs to visit some schools and see what kids are actually buying for their nutritious school meals.

If the likes of Jamie Oliver and the Government really want to tackle child obesity and health then I think they need to go back to old style school meals. The problem that most schools have is that they have done away with old style large canteens and used the space to build other facilities.

BTW I am not suggesting that there aren’t decent meals available in cafe just that it is common for the students not to opt for them. Also I am in no way suggesting that kids today are bad and we in the 70s and 80s were great. It is a question of choice. We queued up, handed over our dinner ticket and hot a meal. There was minimal choice, mostly everyone had the same thing. There was water on the tables and someone on the table was given the job of pouring out water for the others on the table. That didn‘t make us superior, we ate nutritious meals because we had no choice, if we could have chosen chips, crisps, a bottle of blackcurrant drink and a muffin instead we probably would have.

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited:
I would hardly describe the school dinners as "balanced and nutritious", at least the ones I had between 1969 and 1976. A school of around 600 students, roughly 50-50 day-boys and boarders, dinner hall seating for around 400.
Obviously no choice on the menu, which generally consisted of over-boiled soggy vegetables and a rarely identifiable meat. Desserts were almost too sweet to be edible, but, of course, we loved them. Each course wheeled to the tables on large trollies from which a member of the kitchen staff dispensed a large aluminium tray containing all ten portions per table, to be divided up (totally fairly 😂) by the Upper Sixth table prefect. First years were only barely tolerated at table, but they could be invaluable runners when the call of "Extras" was heard from the kitchen (first come first serve). We also had two or three break time tuck shops, almost totally consisting of sweets, chocolate, crisps and fizzy drinks - although occasionally, Custard Creams and small cartons of milk were available for the early few. Healthy times, indeed.
My eldest daughter went to the same school between 2004 and 2011. She started bringing back tales of unfeasible, unheard of things. Choice, healthy options, individual portions whose size didn't depend on how hungry the Seniors were. The dinner Hall could still seat about 350, but food was now brought from the kitchen and put on display, where, get this, you could actually chpose what you wanted to eat. Now, much as I love my daughter, I would much prefer that she were forced to eat a plateful of unhealthy stodge than this pandering to Snowflakes. Seven years of fat and sugar did me no harm, so she deserves no better.
Bring back school meals, the birch, the leather strap. Far too bloody spoiled and soft these kids today.

Only time I use cash is when I'm at the strip club*

*Never been and my girlfriend said I'm not allowed :(
Awww, be a good boy.
You're not missing out.

I've been twice, we knew the owner, it was as expected, shit, however it was a last drink pit stop before home.
The paying for titillation has always struck me as fake, a bit embarrassing.

However current girlfriend did suggest early on in the relationship if I was so inclined we could go together....👌

The BBC news reports about free school dinners present a very interesting image of what a school dinner looks like. This is the photo they are using.

View attachment 1388009

Interested to hear your experiences of what school dinners today.

In my experience over the last 20 years, the schools that my children went to and the schools that my wife has worked at, the traditional school canteen is long gone. Instead they have been replaced by cafes with only enough tables and seats to serve a small proportion of the students at a time. Back in the 70s and 80s our parents bought dinner tickets that could be exchanged for a school dinner. And all joking aside, that meant you had very limited choice but you got a balanced nutritious meal. Now the kids get money on an electronic account to spend in the cafe. Generally, they can spend it on what they want, there is decent food on offer but that is not usually what the kids go for - they will usually spend their dinner money on chips, crisps, bottles of soft drink and cake. The cafes are often outsourced to the likes of Sodexo who really don’t care what the kids are buying. The schools try by getting sweets, chocolate, fizzy pop removed but there are still plenty of unhealthy combinations left.

When students get free school dinners what they actually get is money put on their electronic account to spend in the cafe.

I’m not against the idea of school meals but this idea that it is the only way disadvantaged kids get a nutritious meal needs to be fact-checked. The BBC needs to visit some schools and see what kids are actually buying for their nutritious school meals.

If the likes of Jamie Oliver and the Government really want to tackle child obesity and health then I think they need to go back to old style school meals. The problem that most schools have is that they have done away with old style large canteens and used the space to build other facilities.

BTW I am not suggesting that there aren’t decent meals available in cafe just that it is common for the students not to opt for them. Also I am in no way suggesting that kids today are bad and we in the 70s and 80s were great. It is a question of choice. We queued up, handed over our dinner ticket and hot a meal. There was minimal choice, mostly everyone had the same thing. There was water on the tables and someone on the table was given the job of pouring out water for the others on the table. That didn‘t make us superior, we ate nutritious meals because we had no choice, if we could have chosen chips, crisps, a bottle of blackcurrant drink and a muffin instead we probably would have.

Cheers,

Nigel

In our county the infant and junior schools run on the set menu system - you choose 'meat, vegie or fish' at registration and then get the corresponding dish of the day, plus some choice about fruit and cake. The senior schools run on the pay as you go canteen system.

I quite enjoyed school dinners, Manchester tart was a favourite... A highlight was undoing the lids/caps on the salt and pepper pots on the teachers table, then watching a victim empty the contents onto their dinners.😂

I think my girls still have tables in a hall style with 2 sittings for each different yr group. School dinners during this period should be free, the government are interfering in economic life and should do their up most to provide the basics for children.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom