The Learning ... Equipment thread!

Congrats mate :thumbsup:

brand-dark.svg
About our ads
You may also like

... But you do understand that pics are a requirement ;)
Will do when I get a moment, just hiding it from the wife, till I can sneak it into my set up.
I think I remember reading one was better for amp models, the other was better for effects. Can’t remember which was which though.

Touch screen is very cool though.
HR better amps
Helix effects, supposely.

If she's like my missus, you could justify the cost by the money saved on her hair and nail appointments during lockdown.
brand-dark.svg
About our ads
You may also like

I've said I've borrowed it off a friend who's not using anymore. I don't think the nails and hair trick still wouldn't work, she hardly spends on stuff like that. She's a saver, I'm the opposite. :laugh:

I've still not had time to play with it yet, just updated it to the latest version. The touch screen is amazing tho, really really easy.
Hopefully tonight I'll get some sound out of it.
20200807_065853.jpg

HR better amps
Helix effects, supposely.

I doubt I'd be able to tell the difference to be honest :)

Both great products, as you'd expect at their respective price points. As I've said before, way more than my ability will ever be able to justify.

My tutor did refer to me as intermediate the other lesson though, so I must be improving. Although, I still very much consider myself to be a little past the beginner stage :laugh:

I expect you'll be wanting to offload your Waza Airs cheap to recoup some of your outlay....:D

I do seem to recall, not that long ago that you were saying you were done with loads of gear, the Waza were all you needed.

Just shows, GAS never really goes away, it just fades or a while :laugh:

Having said that, the Waxas aside, which I've still got on order at Amazon and still haven't decided whether I'll actually get them or not, it's been ages since I've wanted anything, I'm getting worried :)

I've still not had time to play with it yet, just updated it to the latest version. The touch screen is amazing tho, really really easy.
Hopefully tonight I'll get some sound out of it.View attachment 1346226

I shall be looking forward to your thoughts on how it compares to the Helix sound-wise. I imagine the touch screen will make it easier to use.

Had you had a chance to try it beforehand or did you buy it based on youtube, reviews etc?

I shall be looking forward to your thoughts on how it compares to the Helix sound-wise. I imagine the touch screen will make it easier to use.

Had you had a chance to try it beforehand or did you buy it based on youtube, reviews etc?

The full-fat Headrush would be more of a competitor to the Helix? This smaller looking model, does it just lose connectivity or features as well?

Didn't realise they'd brought out another version.

Similar idea to the HX Stomp or FX, I suppose?

Didn't realise they'd brought out another version.

Similar idea to the HX Stomp or FX, I suppose?

The original Headrush that came out, sure it was Helix size?

Yeah, I thought it was, thought it had an expression pedal too.

Edit: Yet, there's two now, the big Helix size one with the expression pedal and a smaller one they call the gigboard,

The Headrush as the same effects and sims as the bigger brother, similar thing from Helix to Helix LT.
I've still not set it up yet, but for a start, updating the fw was a lot simplier than the Line 6, ( might be easier now? ).

My Wazzas aren't going anywhere, love them for late night playing.
I've just wanted something where I can store all my presets in one place, and get a good patch easily, being able to see the pedals and the touch screen and drag stuff about, should achieve this for me, and not forgetting the 20 min looper.

Still love the Katana, but I've been gassing for the HR in the back of my mind for along time.

And the forums are very friendly and very helpful too just like the Line 6 ones.

BUT there as been a lot of problems with people getting what they call ROD ,rainbow of death, where you turn the unit on and it lights up then does nothing else.
There's no fix but to send it back, motherboard goosed!

Last edited:
Firmware updates on the Helix are pretty easy now, you just use the Line 6 Updater, couple of clicks and it does everything for you. A lot less involved than it was.

Think yourself lucky you never had to update a Variax, when I first got mine you needed to plug it into some sort of breakout box type thing, now that was a nightmare 😂

My Helix is permanently plugged into my computer, so I do everything via Helix Edit, couldn’t be easier to drag and drop stuff or and and removes amps and effects. Pretty much like having a big screen, but not a touch screen and not attached.

I’ve not really tried changing anything but maybe single effects or amps on the Helix itself I imagine building anything remotely involved on the unit itself would be a right pain and would most likely put me off doing it.

I'm still trying to get a USB to 1/4" jack so I can update the firmware on my Champ clone. ;) :D I remember doing my old Line 6 Flextone III amp was a right old palaver though.

This all reminds me that I ought to take another look at the Moor PreAmp Live box I bought last year: I could get a decent enough sound out of it eventually, but it still seemed too clunky to use live (ironic given it's name). I thought I'd use it more for recording, but I'm finding that I tend to either use the basic amp sims built into my Tascam or I use my Vox MV50AC to get something about where I want it...then I'll go down to the studio (when they reopen) and re-record the guitar parts through my various amps cranked up for the grittier stuff.

I’ve not really tried changing anything but maybe single effects or amps on the Helix itself I imagine building anything remotely involved on the unit itself would be a right pain and would most likely put me off doing it.

It's not actually that bad once you get used to the interface. I could probably build a patch faster on the unit if it was on my desk as it's less faffy than using a mouse thanks to the touch controls. Sure a touch screen would work better still.

...but bending over all the time to tweak is a royal pain. It does have a way of controlling with your foot which was very clever but I've forgotten as I mainly as I use the HelixEdit too.

The AmpliFi still scores high with regards to it's interface. A tablet screen at the fingertips is exactly what these need.

Wow this thing is soooooo easy to navigate, started to get a decent patch already. Doesn't seem to be to much in the way of Option Paralysis at all,
Sounds fab atm through the Katana, but can't crank anything when the wife is next to me.
Need to give it a good test when she's out.
20200807_210723.jpg
20200807_220223.jpg

Looks a well thought out interface. I like the way they have two scenes for lead and rhythm and a simple up and down Patch For next song. Bare bones but functional.

Tried out the foot control feature on the Helix and it is really clever. Just hold down the mode button and it goes into edit mode. You can then select the effect and flip what setting the expression pedal controls.

I can actually see this being a good reason to get the full fat Helix as it makes good use of the scribble strips. I remember fine tuning patches In rehearsals was a royal pain compared to using real pedals but this is kind of better as you can do it without bending over or stopping playing.

Looks a well thought out interface. I like the way they have two scenes for lead and rhythm and a simple up and down Patch For next song. Bare bones but functional.
You can have 4 choices of what it displays on the foot switches.
Had a go with the looper last night, superb, 20 min loop and can save them.
Still finding my way about yet tho.

Don’t think I’ve used my Dutton X2 for anywhere near 20 minutes, total, let alone 20 minute loops :rotfl:

Don’t think I’ve used my Dutton X2 for anywhere near 20 minutes, total, let alone 20 minute loops :rotfl:
Think I've only done one loop since getting my ditto and probably used it a hand full of times.
I really should practice looping more, really is a good exercise for finding all the chord tones etc.

Most of my loops are 1 bar or 2 bars so 30 seconds is probably enough :laugh:

Think I read that the looper is really good on the full fat Headrush and the best featured and thought out of all the multi-effects. How many loops can you save?

The Helix doesn't have a save function which was one of my grumbles as its little better than the HD500 which on a £1000+ unit is pitiful. They did admit that they ran out of time and this was a feature they dropped so it may (or may not) make it into a future release.

Last edited:
I did some routing today to make space for an Eric Clapton mid boost PCB in my Esquire. The PCB was an easy fit, but the wiring under the control plate was very tight (the 9V battery is a tight fit across the bottom of the cavity). Took a few attempts to route the wiring to get it all in, but managed in the end.

Marking out.jpg

Just before I put the pickguard back on:

Restrung.jpg

Now the tone control acts as the mid boost control (makes it more like a humbucker). Pull switch on the tone control taps the pickup for a brighter 6K winding, or down for the full 10K warmer/higher output tone.
The 3 way switch now does 'cocked wah' at the 'front', a fixed tone control setting in the middle to take a little of the top end, then 'bridge' position bypasses the tone for a brighter tone.

I can get loads of different sounds out of it by juggling the combination of switches and mid boost settings. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom