The Learning ... Equipment thread!

Line 6 Variax owners:

Andrew JTV 59 Cherry Sunburst (June 2013, Andertons)
Mac JTV69 (June 2013, Andertons via middle of the road!)
Big Tone JTV 59 Cherry Sunburst (June 2013, Andertons)
Christian JTV 89 Black ( July 2013, Thomanns)
Goooner JTV 59 Cherry Sunburst (August 2013, Thomanns)
Hugh JTV89 Blood Red (August 2013, Thomanns)
leedm33 JTV59 Black (Nov 2013, Andertons)

Line 6 Amps and Effects:

Jon - DT25, 25watt amp (November 2013, Key Music, Belgium)
Jon - HD500X Multi-effects (November 2013, Key Music, Belgium)

Last edited:
You could add other Line 6 equipment to that list too!

DT25 & POD HD500X (November 2013, Key Music, Belgium)

Particularly since at least a couple of the other guys have said that they intend to complement their Fairy Axes with other parts of the Dream Rig.

You could add other Line 6 equipment to that list too!

DT25 & POD HD500X (November 2013, Key Music, Belgium)

Particularly since at least a couple of the other guys have said that they intend to complement their Fairy Axes with other parts of the Dream Rig.

Updated:hiya:

A few pictures of my new baby Vintage LV100AFD Paradise

P1040085.jpg

P1040083.jpg
P1040082.jpg
P1040081.jpg
P1040080.jpg
P1040079.jpg
P1040078.jpg
P1040077.jpg
P1040076.jpg
P1040075.jpg
P1040074.jpg
P1040073.jpg
P1040072.jpg

It was the only corner of the house that doesn't look like something off the set of "The Young Ones" :eek:

That tiny mark on the back of the headstock is just some adhesive residue from a quality control label I peeled off. Will get the white spirits out later.

Well, I'd done really well and not bought anything for months, but it wasn't going to last was it. Ever since I dusted off my old Marshall Valvstate, I never used the HT-5 and wanted another Marshall for "that" sound. The Blackstars are great, but just don't have that Marshall crunch/distortion that is pretty much the sound of my youth.
Anyhoo, I'm sure we all know where this is going and Nik bought an SL-5. It was inevitable............ but no! In a slight twist, after trying both, I ended up getting this............

11645525393_9ff4f851d3_z.jpg

The SL-5 is a great amp and will certainly get a bigger variety of sounds (pretty much any era Marshall), but this just nails that cranked JCM800 sound at bedroom levels!! Yes, the SL-5 will nail that Slash tone and it gets close to a JCM800, but not quite. This is the first amp I've had where I got that sound in my head straight away. I ummed and ahhed for a while and changed my mind a few times, but when I saw PMT had the JCM-1C for £399 it was a no brainer.

It's probably new gear euphoria, but (because of the above) it is the best amp I've heard, or maybe a very close second to the AFD. The thing with JCM800's is that they have to be cranked to get that sound, but this does it at sensible levels. Even at £399 it's probably expensive for what it is, but it's TOTALLY worth it for me.

p.s. It's good to be back. ;)

Wow congrats Nik welcome to the 50th club. I'm totally with you on this, I loved the JCM1 and it just has "that" sound.

The SL5 is a better all round amp, but the JCM was something else and as soon as I plugged in I instantly had the tone I had been searching for. The only negative is like the SL5 no return loop, but in 0.1w mode they can plug into the return of a bigger amp, so should work with the HT5 if you want reverb. It also works with amplitube if you use cab modelling for recording.

My JTM1 was around 400 s/h so that's a great price, I would have bought a JCM1 if they were that price but I don't regret the JTM as it takes pedals really well.

Thanks all. PMT still have a few Christian! ;)
I used the Tubescreamer clone on the iStomp pedal with it and oh dear lord. That's 80's metal right there. :clap: I could chug away on power chords and palm muted ones all day with this, not to mention the Dsus2 chord without the top E. Plus it squeals like a pig!

It's more than a one trick pony though and I'm surprised how (relatively) versatile the sounds are, even the cleans. The boost button turns into a Silver Jubilee, which is great for getting close to Slash, but I prefer the straight JCM800 sound.

There are plenty of people with the full size versions of the 1 watts and they swear they are the real deal especially when you stick it through a larger power amp via the return. Stick a Boss SD1 or a RAT via your istomp and you should have all 80s metal covered.

Spent up at the mo as I bought a Xbox One which has been taking up my time, but a JCM1 head or a SL5 is still high on my list. May buy a second hand DSL or a blues junior in the next couple of months as I want something I can do band practice with.

Speaking of which the 50 quid tube amp I saw at Dawsons is apparently a rebadged chinese clone of the Epiphone Junior which is based on the blues junior. I did a bit of digging and Gear4music have the same amp rebadged under the Belcat name which they now remarket as the subzero brand. There is a full blues junior clone for only 239, which is very tempting:
SubZero Tube-20R 20W Guitar Amp at Gear4Music.com

I have been remiss and not posted my latest gear so -

my new Bass

i4p4.jpg

g8mf.jpg

Dot and Bass
mlx5.jpg

very nice indeed. You buying this has made me dust off my old jazz bass!!

Such thin necks huh?

Might as well add my gear

First up EVH Wolfgang, fantastic guitar, fantastic player drop D tuna beautiful guitar.
Bought from Guitarguitar in Newcastle Oct 2012 £900

image.jpg

Next up my pride and joy EVH striped series in classic Eddie colour. Being a huge Eddie fan this was a no brainer:) great player made by fender drop d tuna and tuned to Eb

image.jpg

Next up Mexican fender telecaster traded In my PRS against it came out on top plus some cash :)
Again for a Mexican fender it's a great player, great sounding guitar

image.jpg

Last but not least Epiphone les Paul in heritage cherry sunburst, lovely guitar nice player it's my first LP
And might not be my last :) £200 from private sale

image.jpg

Pedals. Irigstomp and MRX phase 90 phaser EVH colours :)

Amp. Fender mustang iiiv2 very very good amp traded my blackstar ht5 dual cab against this solid state amp best decision I made as I didn't get on with the blackstar

Bri

Now you just need to start playing in the SOTW again...! ;)

Problem is I have zero interest in playing as my xbox randomly freezes from 5-30 mins
And only on this game which is really frustrating. Might give it a go tomorrow if it freezes then I'll smash the bastard thing and throw out the window

Mine had been freezing a lot less since the last patch, but it did it tonight and corrupted my save for good measure.

Hmm. Mine did freeze once tonight. Maybe it's best if you hold fire until the next patch, TJ - I wouldn't want you to do anything rash!

New to this Rocksmith thing !! Here's some old pics of my gear from the thread over in the Musicians Forums (post 92):
Get your instruments out for the lads! | Page 4 | AVForums

I got myself a Pedal Train for the pedals, but rarely use hem these days! I'd like a new guitar, either a Gibson LP or the Variacs look interesting!

Can't go wrong with a Variax, especially for Rocksmith :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom