The Learning ... Equipment thread!

New to this Rocksmith thing !! Here's some old pics of my gear from the thread over in the Musicians Forums (post 92):
Get your instruments out for the lads! | Page 4 | AVForums

I got myself a Pedal Train for the pedals, but rarely use hem these days! I'd like a new guitar, either a Gibson LP or the Variacs look interesting!

Welcome! That is a serious amp! How do you use that at home or is it just for gigging? Had missed that thread in the Musicians Forum. Will try and add my stuff there later.

That thread hasn't been updated for over three years! I think this thread is a lot more relevant now. Donnacha, if you have any new gear, we'd love to see it here! :)

That thread hasn't been updated for over three years! I think this thread is a lot more relevant now. Donnacha, if you have any new gear, we'd love to see it here! :)

Probably worth resurrecting it. It is clear that there are other like minded souls out there who aren't necessarily into Rocksmith and may not find this thread. Would be good to see all the kit people have and I expect the musicians forum will be the one they find.

I could be wrong though.

Last edited:
Didn't someone, may have been Andrew? Start an equipment thread in the Musicians Forum a while back? Might have been entitled the RS learning gear thread, or something.

Besides, isn't the musicians forum mostly where, you know proper musicians hang out? :laugh:

No disrespect, a few of us aside, most of us are only playing at it, or maybe beginner - low intermediate, so may find it a bit intimidating there?

This place is nice and friendly and you don't feel embarrassed about asking what could be viewed as stupid questions.

Maybe we could take over the musicians forum and lighten it up a bit :D

Last edited:
Welcome! That is a serious amp! How do you use that at home or is it just for gigging? Had missed that thread in the Musicians Forum. Will try and add my stuff there later.
Thanks, yes it a serious amp...weighs a ton. It is a beautiful machine but very prohibitive to use at home as its just too loud. When I gig or rehearse with it I love it !! It has 6 separate channels ranging from lovely and clean through to rip your face off !! One of the reasons I got Rocksmith was to have something that was easy to use for my guitar. It mat sound sad but I'm just as happy to leave the game on the menu while I jam away on whatever tone I've set up - so in a way I treat it like a very quick and easy amp to set up and practice with !! I also love the session mode. I'll get the hang of learning the songs and playing the game proper at some stage, but to be honest I originally bought it with the idea of being a quick and easy "amp" to use for home playing !!!

Hmm, new gear, I don't think I have to be honest. I needed to replace the humbucker on the Satriani JS100, as it had corroded the wiring in it due to years of stage sweat (yeah...rock n roll)!! So I put a Seymour Duncan JB in there and its brought it back to life !! Might change the neck pick up at some stage. I also needed to fix the pedal board for the Amp as that had broken, so glad to have that back. I just don't gig and play enough these days to warrant buying new gear. To be honest the stuff I play these days (classic rock / blues) doesn't need too many pedals and I'm happy just switching between channels on the amp, no effects !

Pedals I have are: Crybaby wah, MXR 90 Phaser, Boss GE-9 Graphic Equalizer, Boss OD1 Overdrive, Boss OC1 Octave, Coloursound tremelo, DOD Delay, Zoom Delay.....I think that's it.

Oh...I did buy a Snark recently for onstage tuning. Great little device, would have loved one of those years ago when I gigged an awful lot more and used to annoy the hell out of my bandmates tuning up between songs!

Wishlist - new guitar (always wanted a Les Paul) and need a new CryBaby...but will need to justify that they will get used.

Besides, isn't the musicians forum mostly where, you know proper musicians hang out? :laugh:

No disrespect, a few of us aside, most of us are only playing at it, or maybe beginner - low intermediate, so may find it a bit intimidating there?

This place is nice and friendly and you don't feel embarrassed about asking what could be viewed as stupid questions.

Maybe we could take over the musicians forum and lighten it up a bit :D

Not sure if Andrew did start something?

Agree with you on all that you say, but whatever your ability (and I put mine firmly in the novice/low camp) if we play an instrument (or try at least) that puts us in the "musician" camp, albeit the novice musician camp. So believe we are all entitled to show our faces over there.

There might be some that view Rocksmith as nothing more than a game but whatever helps an individual learning and get into an instrument is a great thing and should not be sniffed at.

We all like our gear and my logic is that I like to see what everyone has. If the musician section gives a wide reach then I am game. I'll show my face over there and let you know how I get on... :p

Edited to change poor wording!

Last edited:

Agree with you on all that you say, but whatever your ability (and I put mine firmly in the novice/low camp) if we play an instrument (or try at least) that puts us in the "musician" camp, albeit the novice musician camp. So believe we are all entitled to show our faces over there.

There might be some snobbery around the Rocksmith issue
but whatever helps an individual learning and get into an instrument is a great thing and should not be sniffed at.

We all like our gear and my logic is that I like to see what everyone has. If the musician section gives a wide reach then I am game. I'll show my face over there and let you know how I get on... :p
No snobbery on my part, if you play then good on you. I haven't experienced any snobbery over there at all..nor should there be any.

You guys are all probably better than me anyway :D, I just don't practice or push myself enough these days !

I did, I started this thread! Jon had the Brian May thread in musician area. Think we have occasionally posted there but it never takes off like here. GAS seems to be sadly quite average over there!

No snobbery on my part, if you play then good on you. I haven't experienced any snobbery over there at all..nor should there be any.

You guys are all probably better than me anyway :D, I just don't practice or push myself enough these days !

Sorry badly phrased. Certainly wasn't implying snobbery on your part! ( or in general for that matter) . Rocksmith has been dismissed by some as a viable learning tool, but snobbery perhaps a bit strong.

I think that was the concern Goooner was raising that some might be nervous to head over to the musicians forum because of the Rocksmith perception or the beginner status of some of us!

We are beginner (or better word inexperienced) in that we haven't played in a group or live. But I think most of us are quite sufficient that with a bit of practice alongside others we would be quite capable. Christian and Scott are taking those steps and good luck to them. Just a shame we don't live near each other so the rest of us could jam. Be a bit guitarist heavy though! Jon admits to being able to sing and Chewyx and Barbara have e-drums. And we have 8 bassists now.

Welcome aboard Donnacha, we may lack the experience but I'm sure we more than make up for that with enthuisasm. :D

If you want others to encourage you to pick up the guitar you have come to the right place. Most of us can't get enough of guitar and before you know it I'm sure GAS will kick in.

Nice looking looking gear, loved the JMP bet that went down well with the neigbours. Most of the discussion goes on in the Playing for real thread to keep this for people's gear prob better to move over there or this thread will end up with 4000 posts too :)

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that they were a snobby lot down there, I'm sure they're a nice bunch.

It's not like we're all playing the GH/RB 5 button Fisher Price guitars :)

It's just the experience I've had in other forums, mainly from RS1 when it first came out, where it was very much looked down on and you weren't a proper guitarist unless you taught yourself by replaying a section of a record a million times and working out how to play it yourself.

Maybe because it's so quiet in the musicians forum? You can often go a week with no new posts, although there's been a little flurry of activity with a couple of people wanting to start learning. Here we can often go no more than 30 minutes between posts!

It's not like we're all playing the GH/RB 5 button Fisher Price guitars :)

errr... i still do :blush:
But i'm sure you didnt mean that in a snobbish fashion ;)

(but yeah that's rare, i 99.99% drum)

errr... i still do :blush:
But i'm sure you didnt mean that in a snobbish fashion ;)

(but yeah that's rare, i 99.99% drum)

Maybe a tiny bit :rotfl:

I definitely turned into a guitar snob as soon as I tried Pro Guitar in RB3, couldn't help myself :)

Used to love playing the five button stuff, right from whatever the first GH was on Xbox, 2 was it? Right through every GH and RB title, but once I'd tried pro guitar, even with the plastic Mustang, I just found I didn't enjoy it anymore.

Still loved the drums, especially when I got the Beatles drum kit with the cymbals, but just didn't have time for guitar and drums, so one had to go.

updated, please let me know any corrections:

Line 6 Variax owners:
Andrew JTV 59 Cherry Sunburst (June 2013, Andertons)
Mac JTV69 (June 2013, Andertons via middle of the road!)
Big Tone JTV 59 Cherry Sunburst (June 2013, Andertons)
Christian JTV 89 Black ( July 2013, Thomanns)
Goooner JTV 59 Cherry Sunburst (August 2013, Thomanns)
Hugh JTV89 Blood Red (August 2013, Thomanns)
leedm33 JTV59 Black (Nov 2013, Andertons)

Line 6 Amps and Effects:
Jon - DT25, 25watt amp (November 2013, Key Music, Belgium)
Jon - HD500X Multi-effects (November 2013, Key Music, Belgium)
Bilbo - DT25, 25watt amp (December 2013, GAK)
Bilbo - HD500X Multi-effects (December 2013, GAK)
Goooner - HD500X Multi-effects (January 2014, local shop)

Relating to equipment, here's a very interesting video - a tour of the Gibson USA factory, by Premier Guitar. They've done some other tours too, which you'll find linked to this one.

Line 6 Variax owners:

Line 6 Amps and Effects:

Don't forget that I'm also a variax owner. Although not a particularly proud one, lol. I have an older lefty 500.

Line 6 Variax owners:
Bilbo MK1 500, Lefty (December 2013)

Line 6 Amps and Effects:

Eight Variax's, Three 500X's and Two DT25s. Who be the first to try an Amplifi?

...although there's been a little flurry of activity with a couple of people wanting to start learning.
Hi :hiya:
My gear:
2013 LP 60's Tribute
2012 Stratacoustic
1976 Precision Bass
2014 Line 6 AMPLIFi 75

Stuff I previously owned
1976 Unbranded Bass
1976 Antoria LP Bass
1976 Laney 100w valve amp
1976 Elgen 4x12 Cabinet
1977 Hiwatt Custom 100w valve amp
1977 Sure Unidyne B Mic
2014 VOX AD50 VT (2x12)

All tackle, no talent. But I aim to change that. ;)
2014-01-28 18.41.42.jpg

Amplifi 75..jpg

Last edited:
Nice gear there HyperFish, I like the Gibson tempted to get one of those myself.

I had a Vox AD100VT, great sounding amp although I found the distortion a bit on the Bassy side. Some amazing cleans tho.

Need to update my equipment but waiting a week or so first ;)

However, my new arrival.

Honey, I Shrunk the Guitar Amp

Attachments

• 1391152130794.jpg
    1391152130794.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 144
Need to update my equipment but waiting a week or so first ;)

However, my new arrival.

Honey, I Shrunk the Guitar Amp

Makes the amp look even smaller! Incredible size that Terror, but so loud when I heard it for a baby!

Line 6 Variax owners:
Mac 40 JTV69 (June 2013, Andertons via middle of the road!)
Bilbo MK1 500, Lefty (December 2013)

Line 6 Amps and Effects:

Eight Variax's, Three 500X's and Two DT25s. Who be the first to try an Amplifi? Mac, Andrew & Tone!

Mac 40 - AMPLIFi 75 (February 2014, GAK)
Andrew - AMPLIFi 75 (February 2014, PMT)
Big Tone - AMPLIFi 75 (February 2014, Dawsons)

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom