The Learning ... Equipment thread!

72?? What do you do with them? :rotfl:

I bought a pack of 10 picks a couple of years ago and I'm still using the first one I took out of the packet.:laugh:

Yeah I would have bought a Pack of 12 but it’s one of those cases where it works out cheaper the more you get. Maybe 72 was a bit excessive. :D

I do tend to go through a lot as I hate blunt picks, just chuck them now.

Got my LP Junior out the other day, as I haven't played for about a month and not much before that for a while. It's frightening how much slips away in such a short time as my fingers felt like sausages and the 10s that previously felt like 9s were more like 12s (if you follow).

The lack of open mics and opportunities to play with others has made me lose interest a bit, plus I had a bit of a diversion doing some upgrades and calibrations on my cinema set up. Now it's too warm to sit indoors watching my cinema system, so I guess it's time to start looking at (re) learning last term's songs as they have promised to let us play our 'end of term' gig later this year once we are able to go to the venue again.

Bought myself a new toy the other day which arrived yesterday.
Only had a quick mess around with it, just to make sure it all works fine.
Looking forward to fiddling with it a bit more over the weekend.
FA43E45D-7D46-473E-BBF4-2C4C640FF07F.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi all - not posted for a few weeks. Hope everyone’s doing alright?

Asking for a friend,...anyone know what a Pearl Les Paul (Japanese copy about 30-40years old) is worth? I thought that they were rare but highly thought of?

I was wondering if it was the drum company. There's a short article on the MLP site here:
Interestingly it has the Gibson open book headstock. That would make it a lawsuit guitar which can make it collectable. The horn shape, switch and control placements differ slightly from a Gibson. An interesting guitar.
Some good detail in the pics in this eBay add. Has the 70s neck volute which was typically Gibson in that era.

Some collectors pay good money for Gibson and Fender lawsuit guitars. Might get just lucky on value.

I've been watching quite a few YT vids on the newish Fender GTX100 amp, the Tone app looks very slick, I like the idea of tweaking with an app no wires.

But then again is this going to be any different than my Amplifi 75?

Never have tried the Fender cleans yet.

I've been watching quite a few YT vids on the newish Fender GTX100 amp, the Tone app looks very slick, I like the idea of tweaking with an app no wires.

But then again is this going to be any different than my Amplifi 75?

Never have tried the Fender cleans yet.

Fender ‘cleans’ come from their valve amps or hybrids like Super Champ x2 :)
Loved the sound of a Hotrod deluxe but then felt the weight!

Last edited:
Bored with the Wazas? I thought they were so you didn't need an amp :D

Still no sign of Amazon getting any. I looked on Andertons the other day and they're now saying next expected delivery is 31st August!

Still no sign of Amazon getting any. I looked on Andertons the other day and they're now saying next expected delivery is 31st August!
Yes, Coda reckon September.

No not at all, but they do get pretty hot on your ears after a hour of use.
I turned the Kat on the other day, and some of patches sounded dreadful compared to the Wazzas.
I'll have to re do them when the house is free! It's a drag tho, having to plug the phone into, guess what patch is where etc.

The previous gen Fender GTX got quite a kicking but the new ones sound like they have fixed the issues and created a worthy successor to the Mustang. Lot of love on TGP now.

Interesting channel here telling the histories behind the gear were love.

Don't know what's happened to me lately, but I've really started to like relic guitars.
Fraser Guitars: Vintage Inspired, Modern Relic I've noticed on the Start forums on FB this guy gets loads of top recommendations.
Then realised he's only based about 2 mile from me.
I'd be all over the Pink one if had some spare cash.

It happens a lot I think, once you have had a few shiny guitars you realise guitars are for playing and people do tend to bang on about vintage guitars been the best. So buying a custom shop relic feels the ”safest” way to get something that feels close.

The problem is that its a lot of money to spend on something niche that you probably won’t to be able to sell as easily as a American made Fender or Gibson.

I love the idea of a roadworn strat or tele so you don’t have to worry about keeping the guitar pristine, but the heavy relics tend to go over the top.

My RG has gotten a couple of unintended dings during lockdown. These are the kind you see sellers documenting with blurry photos on eBay and Reverb.

So I’m not quite sure at what point damage turns into relicing. The only other product I can think of like this is brand new faded and ripped jeans. Why isn’t there a market for new rusty scratched cars, or tatty underwear?

Don’t see the appeal of reliced guitars. Not artificial ones anyway.

Not for me. I do agree with guitars being for playing, I take no more care playing my LP than I do my cheap strat copy, of it gets some wear and tear along the way, so be it.

Yeah a lot are, the guy I bought a ditto pedal from around7 years ago was a guitar teach and let me play on his brand new custom shop roadworn strat and that converted me.

Looked and felt like a 30 year old guitar that had been looked after but well played, no fret wear of course. Sure he paid about 1700 quid which I thought was a lot back then but they go for 3000+ now, bonkers.

The Esquire project I put together last year ended up with an aged body (a bit like me :D). I've always looked after my guitars, so my Les Paul still looks pretty much like new (poly finished Epiphone), but I've found the Esquire is a bit of a breath of fresh air because I don't tend to worry about it getting knocked when I used to take it to open mics.

I'm still messing about sanding the neck down because it looked too new and shiney, but also because it was a bit sticky, so I fancied trying an almost bare wood finish for a change that will probably end up looking a bit aged fairly quickly.

Had my SG out the last few days to try to build up my fingers again and really enjoyed playing it...almost forget how good it feels and that one is like new, so I guess I'm happy either way.

I'm still messing about sanding the neck down because it looked too new and shiney, but also because it was a bit sticky, so I fancied trying an almost bare wood finish for a change that will probably end up looking a bit aged fairly quickly.
I dulled the gloss into matt on three of mine. Much better feel and no sticking. Barely noticeable and took next to nothing off, and so could buff back to a shine if I wanted to sell.

Some of the Fraser guitars are beautiful, yes they aren't Fender, and reselling will take a big hit.
But your getting a hand built guitar master build at a knock down price.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1594318213400.jpg
    FB_IMG_1594318213400.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 29
  • FB_IMG_1594318190905.jpg
    FB_IMG_1594318190905.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 32
  • FB_IMG_1594317961861.jpg
    FB_IMG_1594317961861.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 31
  • FB_IMG_1594317668592.jpg
    FB_IMG_1594317668592.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 31
  • FB_IMG_1594317504422.jpg
    FB_IMG_1594317504422.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 31
  • FB_IMG_1594317610435.jpg
    FB_IMG_1594317610435.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 25

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom