The learning to play for real thread *Part 3*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qactuar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another thread that has exceeded 1000 posts, but some recent posts from previous thread ...

As Andrew said, that's perfectly normal when you start. There are chords I play now that I used to swear were impossible once :laugh:

I know exactly where she's coming from though, without Rockband, I think I'd have lasted about a week! It really just comes down to practice, then you'll be surprised just how your fingers will reach.

Rockband/Rocksmith make practice so much fun, you just end up playing for hours and hours without realising just how much practice you've one and you're playing proper music whilst you practice, not just repeating chords over and over or playing really basic stuff like Three Blind Mice.

Agree with all the above. I ended up playing until my fingers hurt for the first few months. I'm sure playing Rocksmith will be the same.

Love the RB squire and it was easily worth twice as much money, but to be able to play on a real guitar seemed science fiction only 5 years ago, never mind with a console. Just wish it had been available when I bought my first guitar in my late teens. Not sure the Commodore Amiga was up to the job back then, even with a second floppy drive :D

My Commodore 64 with cassette loading and Atari ST certainly wasn't:D

Thanks!
tsf.

:)

Finally completed the last bits on my daughters guitar. She didn't like the original girly pink so painted it blue and upgraded the nut/bridge to bone with a decent height action.

Still sounds like a cheap guitar but she likes it and spent an hour playing then polishing it last night so result :thumbsup:

Haven't shown her the electric, saving that for when she starts her lessons and Rocksmith comes out. :D

Attachments

• photo-1.jpg
    photo-1.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 95
Finally completed the last bits on my daughters guitar. She didn't like the original girly pink so painted it blue and upgraded the nut/bridge to bone with a decent height action.

Still sounds like a cheap guitar but she likes it and spent an hour playing then polishing it last night so result :thumbsup:

Haven't shown her the electric, saving that for when she starts her lessons and Rocksmith comes out. :D

Nice. maybe blue but still a girly cutout:D

Christian 71 said:

Looks good. Are you our resident luthier now then? :D

LOL! I wish :rotfl:

Maybe moved on from bodger to having a bit of knowledge. Changed about 12+ sets of strings in the last years so the basics don't worry me any more.

My Frankencaster is ready for lacquer and I have all the bits ready so when its finished and I'm playing Rocksmith with it I'll be well chuffed. :D

Nice. Think Dan bought similar Blackstar amp to use with a pedalboard rather than have inbuilt modelling. Less us know how those valves sound compared to transisters.

Was really tempted myself when I saw these, real tube amp I gather. Also like e look of the micro terror by Orange which is a bit more basic.

What's it like?

Dan bought the 5 watt which will be much louder, the 1 watts are more bedroom friendly. :)

Last edited:
Going to give it a bit of a workout today, first thoughts are it really sounds so much nicer than my fender mustang, which I guess isn't really a surprise. At 1 watt it isn't ridiculously loud but can still crank out some volume and still sounds very sweet at high volume.

I hear that there is a warmth that is very hard to get on a non-tube. I spend a lot of time with headphones on so it's hard to justify a tube amp although the new super champs looks the best of both worlds. Tube amp with mustang modelling built in. I gather Blackstar are planning to bring out a similar one, in the next couple of months.

Just playing the mustang now practicing for my lesson, it really does clean up so well. Seem to spend more and more of my time on the F Green/Orange settings. These Santana pickups just sound so amazing on clean.

Last week my tutor had be playing the James Bond theme as a bit of a break, really good fun and fairly easy

I get to plug into a Fender tube amp, no idea what model, but it looks quite old, when I go for my lessons, you can certainly here the difference.

A tube amp if some description is definitely on my wish list for some point in the future, but I'm perfectly happy with the versatility of the Mustang 1..... For now at least :)

Always wanted to learn the Janes Bond theme myself, there's so many different lessons on YouTube and tabs for it, it's a hell of a job finding a good one.

Was really tempted myself when I saw these, real tube amp I gather. Also like e look of the micro terror by Orange which is a bit more basic.

What's it like?

Dan bought the 5 watt which will be much louder, the 1 watts are more bedroom friendly. :)

If I remember correctly, a 10 watt amplifier is twice as loud as a 1 watt one, so not a massive amount of difference between 5 and 1 watt. Similarly a 50 watt amp is only 50% louder than a 10 watt one.

It doesn't work that way with tube amps from all the stuff I've read. Think it has something to do with the pre amp and power amp multiplying the power. So a 1 watt amp is equiv to a 10 watt solid state, a 5 watt is equiv to a 50 watt (etc).

I gather the Vox AC15s are more than loud enough to gig unlike mustang 1 but on the surface the mustang would look louder as it is 20 watt.

It's all a bit hard to understand not having experience with the amps, think I need a day at the music shops when it's quiet. Although my playing would probably empty the shops pretty quickly :D

Last edited:
Christian 71 said:
I hear that there is a warmth that is very hard to get on a non-tube. I spend a lot of time with headphones on so it's hard to justify a tube amp although the new super champs looks the best of both worlds. Tube amp with mustang modelling built in. I gather Blackstar are planning to bring out a similar one, in the next couple of months.

Just playing the mustang now practicing for my lesson, it really does clean up so well. Seem to spend more and more of my time on the F Green/Orange settings. These Santana pickups just sound so amazing on clean.

Last week my tutor had be playing the James Bond theme as a bit of a break, really good fun and fairly easy

This amp has an emulator for recording/headphones which makes it just as good through headphones or into a computer, haven't tried it yet but it's on my to do list

I've just found a rather neat video review of the bass I bought. £170 new, so I really did get myself a bargain. :)

Nice, always good when you feel like you have got a good deal.

Wasn't sure are you planning on playing Rocksmith with guitar and bass or just bass?

I think I've asked this before but I can't find which thread that was in....

I want to restring my RB3 Squire in preparation for use with Rocksmith but I want to maintain its compatibility with RB3.

Anyone recommend something easy on the fingers?

Most of us are using Super Slinkys (Ernie Ball), although at the moment I have some cheap 8's on (2-3 quid ebay). The 8's are easier on the fingers (ie Extra Slinky), but I'll be going back to 9s as the damper streches the strings more resulting in higher action. I actually think 10s would be best on the RB strat but due to the flimsy neck Fender advise against this.

Would seriously recommend buying a cheap S/H guitar off ebay, the RB controller isn't up to string bends. I'm sure you will get by for a few weeks, but for 30 quid you should be able to get something that plays/feels much better. I love the RB strat to bits, but I would never play it out of game now (yeach!) :)

Useful tip if you need your calouses need to build up again is superglue on the tips of the fingers. Heard it a few places and was discussing with my tutor and he agreed it works really well...providing you are careful applying it of course :D

Nice, always good when you feel like you have got a good deal.

Wasn't sure are you planning on playing Rocksmith with guitar and bass or just bass?

Bass is my area of interest. I much prefer it to guitar in RB3 (legacy, I don't have the pro controller). My wife has a Gear4Music guitar gathering dust, so I might try that in Rocksmith at some point. But for now, bass.

Last edited:
I think I've asked this before but I can't find which thread that was in....

I want to restring my RB3 Squire in preparation for use with Rocksmith but I want to maintain its compatibility with RB3.

Anyone recommend something easy on the fingers?

Fender advise against changing from 9s so SS's are the safest bet. Put some on last week. Best to take all strings off at once and give a good clean with wet wipes up against the frets and all over the plastic fretboard. Also get the old G string and scrape the sensors back to gleaming silver.

First go after cleaning, I got my highest Beauty and the Harlot score! It really does help the guitar having new strings and more importantly a sensor clean.

As Christian says, you wont be able to do bends with the Squire as the sensor fret notches prevent it. My less-than-£20 ebay Gear4Music Strat (about£80 new) would be much better outside of RB. It's a fantastic invention and the best £200 I've ever spent, but as a real guitar .......

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom