The learning to play for real thread *Part 4*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guns_LotsOfGuns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Continues on from here

http://www.avforums.com/forums/xbox-360-music-games/1678620-learning-play-real-thread-part-3-a.html

Last few posts

After playing with my new amp for a few days I am seriously considering selling the mustang II, I just can't see me ever using it again after using the tube amp.

The sound is so much nicer you can control so much just by moving the volume control on the guitar, crank the amp up to full with about 50% gain and have the guitar volume very low and it's really clean and crisp, then up the guitar volume some and it just pops into a whole different sound.

Works really nice on the les Paul with the volume on the neck pick up low and cranked on the bridge just switch between them and it's like i am using a pedal from clean to dirty.

I put the volume up quite high today and even though it's 1 watt it's really quite loud when cranked.

If you had sold it 6 months ago I'd have said 2-300, but it's really hard to say now with Rocksmith coming out. May be collectors or people interested in the Midi.

If its in A1 condition I'd be really surprised if you get less than 100 and may even break the 200. Just make sure to say you will post it insured and add 15 quid for postage (also collection). Include at least 3 pictures and change the strings with a set of the original fenders 009s.

The US ones are still going for 200 plus so fingers crossed.

You're only saying that because you have a good chance of winning :laugh:

:)

[URL="http://www.avforums.com/forums/members/559103.html" said:
Christian 71[/URL]]
The obvious one is the Blackstar HT1 which gets slightly better reviews and is a similar price. It's the one I was considering before I bought the Marshall JTM1. Well worth hunting a Blackstar ID15, it's a tube modelling amp like the Marshall JMD1 but much cheaper.

Think the Laney Cub, Vox Nighttrain and Epiphone Junior Hotrod are other valve amps worth checking out. The 0.1 settings on the some of valve amps are well worth considering if its for home use. Seems to be a general consensus that the best tube sound has a valve in both the pre-amp and power-amp, the orange micro being an exception.

Definately try a few for comparison before you buy, although that's how I ended up with the Marshall which was well out of my budget.

Think you said you had a GDEC junior already, but if not obviously try the modelling amps like the GDEC/Mustang/THR/Spider. They all get good reviews but excell at different things.
Ta, will look into them.
No, not me with the g-dec. I've got a VYPR 15, which is ok but does sound more artificial the more I listen to it.

Spent an hour and a half going through Zoom G2Nu guitar effects manual after picking up on ebay a few weeks back. Presets, parameters, zones, edits, taps, delays ... Mmmmm.

Is it just me or has the technology got so involved for the sake of it? I bought the little Orange amp as the Vypyr started to get on my nerves with so many settings. Turn up one of two gains, alter tone and enjoy.

Now this Zoom does have some nice sounds and I should have stopped reading after about page 5 of how to set a preset!

Thinking again that a nice Valve amp with some gain, maybe reverb, and a couple of footswitches is so much more rock n roll.

One thing I'm not understanding at all is the Looper. Know Bri's been using one so maybe he or someone else can help?

Record a passage and play over it or add another piece on top, sounds fine.

But to use you have to set between 40-250 BMP or use tap. What has that got to do with it? There is no metronome.

Then set the recording time. Fine I'll have enough to play a 12 bar blues chord sequence. Oh no, need to set the number of Quarter notes!!!! Eh?

And then max of 5 seconds!!!! Just enough for one chord then, and as just about to swith from G to C it starts playing the max 5 seconds over and over:laugh:

So is this to practice over a massive 5 second piece?

Think I'll play some Rocksmith later, this is doing my head in:rotfl:

Thinking again that a nice Valve amp with some gain, maybe reverb, and a couple of footswitches is so much more rock n roll.

Go on, would make a good present from Santa, or how about that new Blackstar ID15 it looks really nice. :devil:

Must admit looper pedals are something that I've left for another day. Seen some guys do amazing things with them, was watching this the other day:

I gather Jamup has a pretty good looper with a simple overdubbing feature, which probably works better than the zoom. Think I'll stick to readymade backing tracks or use Garageband until I get better :D

Maybe it's only my looper, which is a bolt-on to the pedal's main use, that is limited to 4 or 5 seconds.

AndrewH13 said:
Spent an hour and a half going through Zoom G2Nu guitar effects manual after picking up on ebay a few weeks back. Presets, parameters, zones, edits, taps, delays ... Mmmmm.

Is it just me or has the technology got so involved for the sake of it? I bought the little Orange amp as the Vypyr started to get on my nerves with so many settings. Turn up one of two gains, alter tone and enjoy.

Now this Zoom does have some nice sounds and I should have stopped reading after about page 5 of how to set a preset!

That's one of the reasons I ditched the Vypyr for the Mustang, too much fiddling about, even if you found some settings on the website, you still had to fiddle about changing all the settings yourself, which is probably great if you actually understand what they're all for, which I didn't. Much prefer the simplicity of the Mustang, download a preset and away you go.

Was in London this afternoon, stumbled across Denmark Street, I obviously knew of it, but hadn't a clue where it was until today :)

Only window shopping, but some beautiful (and expensive!) guitars there, would love to go back when I've got some money and buy something. Can't see how anyone can go there and not find something to suit them :laugh:

What and you came back with nothing new!

I'm guessing you had your wife with you :D

:rotfl:

Absolutely correct :D

Although to be fair, it was her that spotted it :)

We were walking down Tottenham Court Road and I saw a gorgeous Sunburst LP Studio in the window of a shop and just as we were continuing on, she said "look there's another guitar shop down there" and there was, and another and another.... It was only a little side street, I would have expected it to be bigger.

Definitely the place to go with money to spend and without the wife :D

I really, really want a Sunburts LP Studio now :laugh:

Total Guitar has a review of one next month, out 24th Dec, although you will get yours early under subscription?

Yep, usually comes at least three or four days early, I'll look forward to reading that then

One of you distract Nick and I'll slip in the back door and greb a few guitars. Nick has enough sunbursts now to open a special shop on Denmark road. :D

Gooner this one has your name on it and would look great under the Christmas tree
Gibson Les Paul Studio 60s Tribute Electric Guitar - Satin Sunburst Darkback | Dawsons Music

Non of that horrible Grenola fingerboard, real rosewood and Mahogany.

EDIT: Oops meant to pick the hunbucker pickups:
http://www.dawsons.co.uk/gibson-les-paul-60s-tribute-2013-electric-guitar-vintage-sunburst

Last edited:
Sold! The LP Studio 60s Tribute with min-Etune it is then, would come in really handy for switching to all sorts of exotic tunings now I'm learning slide :D

Now I just need £900 or so to pay for one :laugh:

This actually sounds better than the Peavey auto-tuning model. I don't like the fact on that, that your strings can be way out of tune, but electronically the guitar self corrects even down to intonation at each fret. Good for work in a studio though I guess.

Last edited:
I agree. Something not quite right about an auto tuning guitar - although would come in very handy at times!

Guitar wise, I have been getting this strange urge recently towards a BC Rich Mockingbird...seen some with beautiful finishes. So what are the thoughts on that guitar. Seems to be a love or hate style.

Some lovely looking guitars I think.

Last edited:
Guitar wise, I have been getting this strange urge recently towards a BC Rich Mockingbird...seen some with beautiful finishes. So what are the thoughts on that guitar. Seems to be a love or hate style.

Beware that the novel shape might be impossible to play sitting down. I found this with my Vintage Wraith Bass I bought off ebay in the summer. The produding parts dug my ribs as they are designed for playing standing. The bright side was it's now on my wall and been replaced by TWO other basses for playing:laugh:

Have read that Flying V's have a similar problem, and slide down if you try playing without standing. LP's and Strats fit comfortable either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom