The Learning to Play - REAL song of the month!

EdB999

Prominent Member
Reaction score
As an aside to all the Guitar, amp and gear acquisitions I thought I’d suggest something a little different – some actually playing and learning! :eek:

By no means intended to be a competition, rather the idea is to try to and get a group of us working through the same song so we can lend some encouragement, ask questions, motivate each other and just generally get us playing, recording and sharing to YouTube/soundcloud. Who knows I may actually committed a few songs to memory along the way :thumbsup:

As a starting point I’d suggest songs selected from Justin guitar beginners song book- The thought being that most of these offer beginner friendly version as well as a more advanced version and have good quality YouTube instruction to go along with it. The song selection should also appeal to most.

Note- You won’t necessarily need a copy of the song book as the videos walk you through the song. There’s also a couple versions with slightly differing song lists – I’m sure we can help each other out for those missing relevant pages.

For those that are a little more advanced don’t feel limited to a Justin Guitar strum along version, feel free to contribute with other versions or even your own interpretations. Likewise I know there’s a few here starting out with bass/other instruments and some playing with multi-track recorders, so let’s hear what you can create! :)

This months song (October 2014):

Otis Reading - Sitting on the dock of the bay

Discussion for this months song starts at post #150 (page 5 in web browser)

Last edited:
Soundcloud group - http://soundcloud.com/groups/avforums-learning-to-play-group

Current participants n order of first submission (let me know if I’ve missed anyone or want to be added for a pick:) )-
Goooner (http://soundcloud.com/seanblack)
Mac40 (http://soundcloud.com/mark-chapman-43)
Tylerjosh (tyjay99 - YouTube)
AndrewH13 (http://soundcloud.com/andrewh13)
Nik73 (http://soundcloud.com/nik73-2)
KungFuPro (http://soundcloud.com/badchopsuey)
Christian71 (http://soundcloud.com/that-christian-bloke)
GloopyJon (http://soundcloud.com/jonathan-oakey)
Hyperfish (hyperphish's profile - Hear the world’s sounds
EdB999 (edb999's profile - Hear the world’s sounds)

Past months songs:

Wonderwall - September 2014

Last edited:
Yup easy peasy, got it in five minutes...at least until the strumming pattern then it went down hill quickly. Looks like I may have some work cut out after all ;)

Yeah, nice easy chords, but the strumming pattern gets me every time :)

Can someone make songbook pages available, be good to start right at the beginning?

If someone want's to check, I think I've uploaded the V Guitar Wonderwall lesson to the shared drive, if I've done it right.

Does anyone know if the strumming notes that Justin says in the video he was going to put on the site are there and if so where they are?

Is that Google drive or Dropbox?

google drive.

I'll upload some more V Guitar stuff now I know it works.

google drive.

I'll upload some more V Guitar stuff now I know it works.

Thanks, just got to PC, is it Ed's actual shared folder that we can all upload to if given permission to access?

Yep. I think that's why it didn't work the first time I tried it a while ago, since Ed gave me permissions, I can now upload stuff to it as well as see the stuff already on there.

Thanks, just got to PC, is it Ed's actual shared folder that we can all upload to if given permission to access?
I tried and failed to upload a while back.

I'll sort something out with Ed when I get home next week.

Assuming I want to watch Justin / YouTube video on PC and plug guitar in and play, what do I need?
I tried with RS2014 cable and software, but even though it 'windows', you can't get sound from both program and a Video source.

Assuming I want to watch Justin / YouTube video on PC and plug guitar in and play, what do I need?
I tried with RS2014 cable and software, but even though it 'windows', you can't get sound from both program and a Video source.
I couldn't get it to work other than loading in audio as another track :(

Been working on strumming for wonderwall so far I'm work off this-

Em7 - D_D_D_DUD
G- UD_D_DUD
Dsus4- UD_D_D
A7sus4- U_U_UDUDU

Yep crappy isn't it, that's why I gave up on the PC apps. Your best bet is to plug the PC line out into your Amplifi and use the effects on the Amplifi.

Better still why not get that Taylor acoustic out, Wonderwall sounds best on acoustic. Saying that I'm happily strumming away with my Slash LP on clean plugged into my Marshall o_O

Yep crappy isn't it, that's why I gave up on the PC apps. Your best bet is to plug the PC line out into your Amplifi and use the effects on the Amplifi.

Better still why not get that Taylor acoustic out, Wonderwall sounds best on acoustic. Saying that I'm happily strumming away with my Slash LP on clean plugged into my Marshall o_O

Without effects, can you plug into PC and play? Problem is setting ausio to Windows for YouTube playback and then trying to get guitar also using RS USB playing at same time. Reminds me while we both gave up PCs for playing through!

Amplifi is in music room (RS and guitar duties), PC in office. Guess I need larger iPad or use acoustic. Played Taylor a lot other night while watching TV.

Was going to try Wonderwall today but struck down with heaviest cold I've had in 10 years plus a 100 temperature. Me out for a few days, couldn't even face picking up guitar. Bed ...

Hope you get better, know what it's like wanting to play but feeling ill every time you pick up the guitar. :(

Yep that's the problem Asio only allows one app to control the sound card at a time, archaic isn't it.

Bummer, get well soon!
Thanks. Luckily two days after getting home from holiday. Got a few songs I want to start on though after hearing music away.

You reckon you go back to lessons? I'm still undecided.
I reckon learning to solo in BUABS and Blackbird feels almost like a lesson.

What we really need is being able to jam with others and learning from each other. What a shame we not all in same town.

You reckon you go back to lessons? I'm still undecided.
I reckon learning to solo in BUABS and Blackbird feels almost like a lesson.

What we really need is being able to jam with others and learning from each other. What a shame we not all in same town.
I've only just decided to take a break so I don't know! I totally agree that learning these songs is a real lesson in itself. I'm very glad that I did take some lessons because he did teach me some very fundamental things that I was doing wrong, but I think I can carry on the good work on my own for a while now.

I suspect that I might well have some more lessons again in the future. It depends partly on how long Rocksmith manages to keep me interested and learning. At the moment, I think there's still a lot of mileage in it for me.

You could've picked an easier one to start, Ed! The strumming pattern is driving me nuts, trying to get my head around it :laugh:

Was going to try Wonderwall today but struck down with heaviest cold I've had in 10 years plus a 100 temperature. Me out for a few days, couldn't even face picking up guitar. Bed ...

You mean you don't sleep with your guitar? ;)

Hope you get better soon mate, you take care of yourself :)

That would be nice, I'm picking up stuff a bit faster than mum and haven't seen my sister for a while now.

Have found a guy that does 45 minute lessons for a tenner though, so might take a couple and see what he's like.

I'm currrently learning Happy Birthday for my daughter birthday on the 4th of October, I'm just going from this:
Capture.JPG

Really simple for you lot I expect, I have a month so hopefully learn it by then and find a good tone on the JMD to use with it, maybe try to spice it up a little.

I love the idea of this song of the month, it's a bit too much for me at the moment as I need to do things in my own time which is quite a slow process, but I'll certainly give it a go with the songs I fancy playing and wonderwall is a great song.

I'm still struggling with chords and especially changing between them at the moment, but playing out single notes on different strings I'm progressing reasonably well. Been learning 4 months on the 15th of this month and still going strong and keeping it fresh :clap: I must say, bass is very different from guitar, having a go at Another one Bites the Dust on that, getting there but still needs a lot of work.

tris

That's very cheap, most charge 20/25 for an hour. No harm in trying. I had three different tutors last year and every one added something. Most useful in the early stages to put you on the right path, see any elementary mistakes, and make playing easier.

PS, 4th October also Barbara's birthday. Wasn't a good day for us last year, let's hope its fun this year. Post your song and I'll play it to her!! Or buy her a new Rickenbacker bass :). Actually she's using my full size Peavey now for SOTW, when we had some dropped songs, the short-scale Jaguar really struggles with recognition at the lower frets.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom