The learning to play - Soundcloud clips

AndrewH13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A thread for the many console gamers who have taken to Learning Guitar/Bass/Drums for Real after playing RB3 or Rocksmith. Or have returned to playing inspired by these Xbox, PS or PC/Mac music games.

I'll start it off with this Fleetwood Mac/Garry Moore clip based on a JustinGuitar lesson. Downloaded his backing track and added guitar.

https://soundcloud.com/andrewh13/63-need-your-love-so-bad

Better call you Keef! Quality on that one is good for iRig into iPhone I assume?

No that was on the backtrack.

Got to get back to working on that one before I forget it, actually managed to play that from memory, which is unusual for me :)

Nice work lads!!

I am planning on getting something recorded over the weekend. If I can ever be happy with my timing!

Ok, be gentle with me....

I recorded this today at 6am. I am learning this solo from Jamplay called The Jekyll and Hyde blues.

It goes from soft to hard playing, not really my style but it has been interesting to learn how to use the volume control mid solo to change the feel.

It is very very far from perfect, at times I seem to ON the beat for a blues solo, and others I just sound out of time. Plus I haven't learned the final chorus yet, so the last bit is me just noodling to finish the song.

But I wanted to record something so here goes…

https://soundcloud.com/scottlwl/jekyll-and-hyde-blues

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds very good Scott. I also learnt on the Garry Moore clip that you need some very soft notes, not something I've though about before, in fact a hammer on had to be just about hearable.
Nice backing track as well, you signed up for Jamplay?

Goooner, is that a teaching site you have missed and not reviewed!

I used it for a while, there's a link for a free trial on justinguitar. It was pretty decent, but I just didn't use it enough so I cancelled.

Thanks Andrew!

I was signed up. Cancelled it last month but still have access.

It is pretty good, with some great courses.

But there is a lot of it based around shredding, which is never going to happen form my old man fingers!!

Love the flat picking bluegrass though.

Amusingly it seems my Jamplay sub has now finished… i guess i will never learn the end of that solo now…. :)

Sounds great Scott! :thumbsup:

Really nice flow to your playing there, love the trills and suble use of the trem.

Sounds great Scott, very nice expressive phrases lord I need a strat even more now damn you :)
Just after Iv dropped enough on the xboxone lol

Thanks matey!! The stratocaster is brilliant no doubts. Also pretty pleased with the AMP designer in LOGIC Pro X

Some cool sounds to be had

They all sound good guys. How do you record them? Im a way off yet but id like to be able to one day record guitar/bass/drums to a track

Easiest way is with a smartphone. If you want to multitrack, it gets a bit more complicated.

I use Logic Pro X and a Alesis iO2 interface.

Makes life very easy to record over a backing track.

To record guitar along to a backing track is simple, and surprisingly passable, just using an iPhone's inbuilt mic and free iRig Recorder app.

To add further instruments recorded separately I tried lots of different methods. Direct i-interface from about £30 upwards lets you connect direct to I-device and add effects and garageband software. PC/Laptop connection using Cubase/Reaper gives great versatility but is not for the feint-hearted and I got fed up with hum, battery life and gave up.

For ease of use and great sound I bought an 8-track recorder. I could then load a backing track or actual band song in stereo I wanted to play over which goes on tracks one and two. While playing tracks 1 and 2, I would record guitar on track 3, bass on track 4, and my wife would then add Yamaha drums on track 5. Further guitar on tracks 6 and 7 covering up mistakes on earlier track! Got daughter to sing occasionally on track 8 if I was lucky. Also guitar sounds/amps/effects are inbuilt.

Your e-drums would go directly into the Line input. My Zoom R8 allows direct guitar and bass interface, powered or non-powered mics and drums via Line. It also has two quality mics inbuilt and I now record from my Blackstar rather than direct input.

Then I play back pressing Master Record (and turn off backing track) and use mechanical sliders on the 8 tracks in real time to raise or lower the sound. The mistake say on track 3 would be lowered and track 6 or 7 would blend over it. The mastered recording can then have a choice of hall acoustic added and it saves to an SD card ready for inputting to PC and converting to mp3.

Chewyx, here's an old recording I uploaded before you joined using drums, bass and guitar. Plus daughter tied to a chair singing, all recorded separately over about a month. Had to have a bass lesson just to know how to play a few bass notes, pre-RS! Wish we were good enough to all play together, it would be tighter then. I felt like Mike Oldfield in the end adding bits here and there on top, it is quite addictive.

48 48 Hey Joe-v4 by AndrewH13 on SoundCloud - Hear the world’s sounds

I ordered a decent quality MIDI to USB cable which I'll pick up from the post office in the morning. I hope that will allow me to record directly from my amp - I bought it partly for that, and partly because I think that's what I need to update the firmware in the amp (there's supposed to be an upgrade that increases the number of amp models available).

Failing that, I've also got an XLR to USB adapter in my Amazon basket which I might buy in order to connect my microphone to my laptop. And failing that, I might just have to buy another microphone!

I'll try to get there some time soon and post some noises from my 2/3 dream rig....

Had some spare time to have bit of fun on the new schecter. To be honest, I lost patience trying for the perfect take so you've got it bum notes and all. Don't know what it is about the record button but as soon as i hit it the walls start closing in and I get a bit all fingers and thumbs. Especially if it has started off ok, Im like "don't mess up, don't mess up"

Anyway here goes!

The loner by Hammer man on SoundCloud - Hear the world’s sounds

Had some spare time to have bit of fun on the new schecter. To be honest, I lost patience trying for the perfect take so you've got it bum notes and all. Don't know what it is about the record button but as soon as i hit it the walls start closing in and I get a bit all fingers and thumbs. Especially if it has started off ok, Im like "don't mess up, don't mess up"

Anyway here goes!

The loner by Hammer man on SoundCloud - Hear the world’s sounds
Sounds pretty good to me :smashin:

As my tutor keeps telling me, don't worry about bum notes, play with conviction and if you make a mistake most people will just think you meant it anyway :)

Anyone remember what the app/website was that allowed you to split out different parts of the band?

Remember someone posting a while back and forgotten what the site was. I'm looking for a track but want just the acoustic part.

[EDIT] Oops sorry wrong thread.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom