The Lion King Review & Comments

Good review. Pretty much what most of us were expecting. Will be watching with my family tomorrow at my local Lakeside 4.99 all the time Vue Cinema.

Why on earth are Disney remaking their best loved animated classics and turning them into CGI meh-fests?
A stupid question really as I know the answer - money.

I wasn’t expecting anything else to be honest. 3pm today the family is watching it at the Vue Merthyr Tydfil. Can’t wait.

Why is it that every time Disney remakes one of their films the critics are always whining about this has been done before and nothing new on the horizon ?!
YES it has been done before in animation and to a whole different generation than today's generations who haven't seen the animation or don't know the story......
These remakes should be seen as movies standing on their own feet without having to be compared to the old animation releases of the 90's.
Sure Disney is making these for money but that goes for every studio and every company for that matter...that's business, but stop comparing them to the old versions.

I saw this at my local cinema in laser projection 3D and Dolby Atmos and i enjoyed it a lot......it's beautifully made and the emotion is still present.
This 2019 version is for the new generation and i think they will enjoy this as much as i did !

8 out of 10 from me.

Why on earth are Disney remaking their best loved animated classics and turning them into CGI meh-fests?

Because Disney wants to become like Apple Inc.

Sat here now with the family now, just about to start, I will be back after.

10yr old son and 7yr old daughter are bored

Good review. Pretty much what most of us were expecting. Will be watching with my family tomorrow at my local Lakeside 4.99 all the time Vue Cinema.
Our local vue is tha same price £4.99 every film. Then the added value of meerkat 2 for 1 codes on Tuesday and Wednesday, bargain!

....These remakes should be seen as movies standing on their own feet without having to be compared to the old animation releases of the 90's.....

Unfortunately I would have to disagree with you here. Don't get me wrong the artists have done a fabulous job and they should be congratulated for that! But for me the film was missing something - I can't quite put my finger on it...soul, heart maybe - I just didn't connect as well to the more realistic characters as much.

I would have to agree with the reviewer in this case!

Indeed, for casual cinemagoers this is precisely the sort of thing that might lure them away from Eastenders and Love Island for one evening...

Why Audiences Are Only Going to Disney Movies

So despite mediocre reviews, The Lion King has had 2nd biggest opening of the year (behind only Endgame) and expected to cross the $300m barrier this weekend...

Box Office: 'The Lion King' Crosses $100 Million Overseas, 'Toy Story 4' Passes 'Inside Out, 'Aladdin' Tops 'Alice'

Which continues Disney’s complete dominance of the box office :smoke:

For the sake of cinema, Disney needs to be broken up | Guy Lodge

The scene with Simba and Nala falling in love, featuring the classic Elton John/Tim Rice song “Can You Feel The Love Tonight”, is set in BROAD DAYLIGHT.

Dead-eyed CGI animals, doing karaoke of a superior film, purely to re-up merchandise sales.

Yup just like any other studio out there , to earn a wad :smashin:. And of course to add even more content for Disney + when it launches , even more wads :D.

I haven't seen it yet, & I really want to like this Movie, as personally I thought they did a fantastic job with the remake of Jungle Book, but I completely understand the comments people have said about very Lifelike Lions etc. not being able to put across the emotions in this Story

I haven't seen it yet, & I really want to like this Movie, as personally I thought they did a fantastic job with the remake of Jungle Book, but I completely understand the comments people have said about very Lifelike Lions etc. not being able to put across the emotions in this Story

FWIW that also was my biggest doubt going in, but pleasingly I thought the animals were able to get their emotions and intentions across perfectly well, despite the limitations of the medium. Its pretty much the same as how they handled The Jungle Book, albeit without a 'Mowgli' character this time.

A pointless remake with no soul.

FWIW that also was my biggest doubt going in, but pleasingly I thought the animals were able to get their emotions and intentions across perfectly well, despite the limitations of the medium. Its pretty much the same as how they handled The Jungle Book, albeit without a 'Mowgli' character this time.
Thanks - that gives me at least some hope. Mowgli, of course, was a great "humanising" factor in The Jungle Book, as you pointed out.

The sound of the barrel being scraped at Disney for any cash grab they can get remaking old classics with warmth and charm for pointless soul less remakes that are more Tech Demo than film is audible all over the world

Frozen and Moana are the only Disney films I can think of in recent times that had any sort new creative input and thought

Its high time they started making their live action movies into animated ones just to balance things out!

A fantastically well written review, thank you. I agree with everything but the score as think it deserves higher for such an amazing achievement and it is enjoyable in its own right.

We saw on Waterloo Imax last night (after and interesting trip round the Kubrick exhibition at the Design Museum) packed theatre and everyone enjoyed!

Your comment about the use of the amazing graphics technology made me think about Disney perhaps remaking some of their “true life adventures” in cgi?

Anyone else out there old enough to remember those?

Your comment about the use of the amazing graphics technology made me think about Disney perhaps remaking some of their “true life adventures” in cgi?

Anyone else out there old enough to remember those?
Is that the wildlife ones they use to do about animals and make up untales which I think one gave rise to the myth about lemmings.

On my way to see it at bfi. I'm really apprehensive.

Is that the wildlife ones they use to do about animals and make up untales which I think one gave rise to the myth about lemmings.
Whilst I don’t recall the lemmings episode I think you may be correct. Remember loving the true life adventures as a child and being very impressed by Two Brothers which did the same thing of inventing a story around the footage of the (real) tigers.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom