The Magnificent Seven Ultra HD Blu-ray Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
I dont think hes tried to make a masterpiece, just a good bit of bang bang pew pew for the masses, like the vast majority of his other movies.

He is directing the remake of Scarface as well.

Excellent review Cas, but one little note about the bonus disc: it's basically the retailer-exclusive extras from the US version available at Target included as standard on our version, Sony did the exact same thing with our release of Ghostbusters 2016.

yeah, it looked well enough but I think 6 for the movie was being overly generous, thought it was super dull and lacked depth and excitement, wont be buying the DVD for my collection.

yeah, it looked well enough but I think 6 for the movie was being overly generous, thought it was super dull and lacked depth and excitement, wont be buying the DVD for my collection.

DVD? Catch up grandad!
:rotfl:

I liked it, 7/10 for me.

I enjoyed it but it is all the key actors playing themselves. It felt more of a mashup of film characters rather than a bunch of cowboys.

Loved it, 8 for me. I prefer the original but this was great

I think the 6 for the film itself is about right, it just didn't gell whether it was the cast or direction it felt awfully flat. On the plus side even without the benefit of having an Atmos disc it certainly was a terrific sound track. The wife gave it an 8, but there again anything with Denzel in will score highly with her.

Of the more modern Westerns of this ilk then Open Range is still the clear leader.

I'd rate the movie more of a 7 or 7.5, I found it really entertaining... and far from soulless.

Last edited:
I've watched it twice and I kinda enjoyed it, first time I was distracted by the lightweight blacks in the UHD presentation (seems to be a universal comment) but second time around I enjoyed the movie for what it was, a surprisingly violent little actioner that's chock full of clichés but is still a fun couple of hours.

I liked this movie, solid 8/10. Not as good as Tombstone but it's still an enjoyable flick and one which I can enjoy repeat viewings. The steelbook is rather nice too, interesting reading the differences between the standard and 4k blu ray versions.

Bought the DVD, glad I did not pay extra for BD
The worst excuse for skimping on a purchase I have heard for a good while.The movie was entertaining enough to spend the extra money and get the best quality format you have at home.

Loved it, 8 for me. I prefer the original but this was great
I agree with this too. The original was such a classic, a masterpiece in this genre, a remake was never going to beat the original. As all movies I watch, I watched it with an open mind. I put aside all comparrisons with the original & just watched it and enjoyed it. It was far from a modern day classic, but it was also entertaining enough in it's own right. I also avoid any and all hype surrounding any movie I watch. I give everything I watch a fair crack of the whip. So as I have said, 'I enjoyed it'.

DVD? Catch up grandad!
:rotfl:

I liked it, 7/10 for me.

This is not going into my Philips CDI collection anytime soon! Might stick on Black Rain again though.

Enjoyable but forgettable.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom