The Official AVForums Modified Car thread...Let's have a few more!

This is mine , was a stock 540i sport when I started , apart from being stripped out.

Ignore the M5 label , i get it a lot , its no M5 its quicker to 60.

I do passenger rides at a lot of car shows . Its good fun

The track above is particularly slippy and slow , but we attend snetterton and thats nice and quick , drifting at 80mph on the lock stops is FUN.

Have had various modified cars over the years, got a fettled Lotus Elise S1 at the moment and a Mk2 Octavia VRS diesel with DPF removed and mapped by Shark.

Have had 315bhp supercharged Honda Lotus Elise, an Elise with a VAT 1.8t 20v and various modified Saabs and Volvos, not to mention an E36 M3 Evo and various hot Fords inc 2x Focus ST3's.

Attached from an Alps trip in the late summer, did Stelvio, Rombo, Grimsel, Furka etc.

Attachments

• P1000524s.jpg
    P1000524s.jpg
    477.8 KB · Views: 394
Oh, another pic, Stelvio from memory.

I guess I should mention mods as this thread is about modding, so here goes:

VVC K series engine (was standard K in Spring!), timed Nuemann exhaust cam, close ratio box, 4-2-1 manifold, Janspeed backbox, K&N 57i, Willans four point harnesses, Pagid RS14's with braided hoses, new Nitron NTR40's (awesome), Victory alloys, HAnkook RS2 tyres (good in dry only!), motorsport adjustable anti roll bar, nylatron wishbone bushes, Pro Alloy ally radiator and removable Momo steering wheel. It's about 165bhp which is a nice amount of power for a S1.

Attachments

• P1000608s.jpg
    P1000608s.jpg
    633.7 KB · Views: 356
Here is my astra that I've just sold.

Running a C20LET engine, 330BHP at 1bar.

The mods list is far too long to write down, built properly and never had an issue with reliability for the 10k miles I put on it in a year, just replaced a clutch and that was it.

Genuinely gutted I sold it, it would eat most cars on the road, especially 414bhp M3's lol

We all have to grow up at some point, so I'm now in the BMW club and can't see past them now.

Last day of owning her.
by Derek Mackinnon, on Flickr

Gone

Interior

C20 LET

My car

Astra

And finally the new car. BMW 325I Msport with 30k miles. Love it.

That Astra is nuts! I've always quite liked the "council estate" aggression of old Vauxhall GSIs, I've always yearned after a Carlton GSI 3000 myself, a good alternative to an old school beemer, but try finding one.

In the interest of contributing something to this thread, here was my old 350Z, I really miss it :(

P1030253_zps62a8d9ab.jpg

In the interest of contributing something to this thread, here was my old 350Z, I really miss it :(

P1030253_zps62a8d9ab.jpg

Nice zed you had, why did you change and what did you get to replace it with?
I've got a Coupe same colour but never been tempted to sell it!

Nice zed you had, why did you change and what did you get to replace it with?
I've got a Coupe same colour but never been tempted to sell it!

The Z replaced a hideously unreliable Clio 172. It was costing too much in road tax £490 and the tyres on the 19" wheels that it had were £200 each, and the 20 MPG on super was a bit painful too. Ironically, I think if I had an older Coupe with the cheaper tax and standard 18s I may well have kept it, would have been cheaper to buy also.

I then got a Ford Puma (to save money), which was good fun to drive, but FWD again which I'm not a fan of and as a bloke in their mid 30s, I felt a bit daft driving it.

I've replaced that with my mates E46 328 which gives me a sort of similar driving experience as the Z but for a fraction of the price and running costs. Its been a good car, comfy, reliable, fun to drive and fairly quick.

IMG_20131015_082717_zps3ed2d773.jpg

The 19" tyres on mine (FK452s) are relatively cheap if you shop around, but generally I find maintaining my zed quite affordable and cheap. I do get the lower tax bracket being pre 06 though and go to a great 350Z / GT-R independent (Kaizer Motors). Nice you have kept to a good drivers car!

I have an MR2 from the day I got my driving license. It's over 5 years already.
I was using it as a daily about 3-4 years, but now it's dedicated mostly for track use.
Here are some pics from older to newer.

The modlist:
Engine (3S-GTE rev1):

· Wiseco forged pistons;
· ARC intercooler;
· ARP head studs;
· Apexi air filter;
· Custom straight exhaust;
· De-cat downpipe;
· NGK BKR7E spark plugs;
· Cometic gaskets set;
· AEM alternator pulley;
· 3S-GE cams;
· JUN lightweight flywheel;
· Helix stage 2 ceramic clutch;
· Manual boost controller;
· HKS S-AFR fuel management;
Suspension/Brakes:

· Koni yellow schocks (hopefully will have some cash to rebuild Ohlins for next season) with weitec lowering springs;
· Rev2+ brake kit;
· Earl's / Tom's Braided brake hoses;
· Adjustable caster front lower arms;
· GAB lower brace;

Exterior/Interior:

· Rev3 JDM rear lights + quad light mod;
· Painted in custom Pink/Red with black top parts;
· Tinted JDM windows;
· TRD gear knob;
· Blitz boost gauge;

The day I bought it.
z878.jpg

After couple of years
qgyv.jpg

bhj3.jpg

The engine was swaped from 3sge to 3sgte
loib.jpg

A bit more later. After an autocross event
s91r.jpg

The spoiler was custom fitted last year for better rear traction. If you think this is different car because of licence plate - no, it's the same :) But because of JDM bumper I had to re-register the car.
gwgt.jpg

Last years time attack event
z05e.jpg

3az3.jpg

Last year my engine blow, so now it's rebuilt and here is the photo taken yesterday
8pbc.jpg

Also, now we are working on a body, because after some winters and because the car was damaged some time ago, it's now badly rusted...
q3t1.jpg

If you would like to follow all my car's news, join my page at facebook ;)
"MR2 Gang" racing team | Facebook

Also you will find lots of videos in there.

Here is the video from the last time attac event:

Last edited:
elan progress July 2013 013.JPG
my elan project
elan home from painting 007.JPG

it's a Spyder Zetec conversion....lots to do still!

Here's my mk2 golf that I bought pretty much standard as a daily driver and errr..... got a bit carried away:

5789103653_dce1973bae_b.jpg

DELICIOUS.

I'm getting my Polo 6R lowered on wednesday with the Eibach Sports Pro Kit at VW and a new set of 17's on him. . .but he'll still not look anywhere near as sexy as that.

Here is the video from the last time attac event:

The pics are dead now but watched the vid and it looks great fun.

Ive been thinking about getting a track car. How much does it cost to take on the track?

The pics are dead now but watched the vid and it looks great fun.

Ive been thinking about getting a track car. How much does it cost to take on the track?

Of course it's fun :)
Well, the price depends on a track I think. But for example in our track it cost about 20gbp per hour.

Here is the latest pic of mine. It now has a full rollcage, fully rebuilt engine, restored body etc.
NX6nvvS.jpg

I11Hk2w.jpg

Damn I need to get a house with a double garage.

Holy thread resurrection, Batman...
(only just got round to reading the motoring section).

My slightly modified toy from a few years ago. Not road legal, and only of any use for the 1/4 mile, but that was the whole idea.

4241_98707453880_6832382_n_zpsaed4d57f.jpg

I raced for a couple of years in the Fuel Altered class; a class for short wheelbase, high horsepower cars running on methanol and nitromethane. The Lotsabeera car ran originally with a 425.59ci big block Chevy, running on 95% nitromethane. The best run with that combination being a 6.711 @ 209.32mph

4241_98707468880_6430237_n_zps6e261af2.jpg

The view from the office. Controls were simple - gas pedal where you expect it, clutch pedal on the left of the gearbox (seen here wrapped in its ballistic blanket). Fuel lever (on/off) to the left of the rollcage, hand brake lever to the right, and the two chute levers to the far right of the cage. The transmission was a 2 speed Lenco, plumbed into an airshifter.

IMAG0024_zpsfe7d00fb.jpg

After the Chevy motor kicked out 6 rods, a plan was hatched to swap my previous race car for a new engine. The result was a 496ci Stage 6 Keith Black Hemi. It made more power than the Chevy, with less of a spiky torque curve. Unfortunately that too met its end prematurely - by this point I was running out of funds so had to shelve everything. The numbers were promising though on the last run, prior to it kicking out a few rods and launching the supercharger off the manifold.

60ft: 1.1800
330ft: 2.9622
660ft: 4.3252/183.39mph
990ft: 5.5024/198.79mph
1320ft: 6.6935/173.72mph

The rods let go between the 660ft and 990ft timers, so it was slowing down from that point onwards. The predicted ET would have been around a 6.30-6.40 at around 225mph, which wasn't shabby for a 2nd gear launch :)

35400_401467228324_5192106_n_zps4d73e71f.jpg

Onboard video from the last run with the car

I'm putting together a new race car slowly for a debut towards the end of 2015, so might post some updates when there's some actual photos of progress :thumbsup:

Gotta love a Topolino.

Racking my brain now trying to think of my favourite from the '70s, also green.

Ping!

qG6cVtb.jpg

Reg Hazelton's Pro Comp "Thunderbird".

Last edited:
Wow! I love these little cars. Is that a new shell?

How is the project coming along?

Slowly - I'm slow and my garage is too cold to work in at the moment.
Body is now back on chassis for last time (hopefully) - wiring is almost done, except for dash and fuel pump.
I'm sorting out the cooling system next, - some pics of where I'm up to below:
Elan wiring 003.JPG
May 2014 106.JPG
May 2014 127.JPG
May 2014 135.JPG

Stunning car. I'd love an Élan or a S2 or JPS Esprit.

Wow no posts in here in over a year! Just got my new wheel/suspension setup completed on my Mini Cooper S :) probably not to many peoples tastes on here, but here we are anyway...

(16x8 3SDM wheels on Vredestein Ultrac Satin 205/45 tyres, AP coilovers, Silver Project top mounts and rear control arms (2 sets) 2.5° camber on front and 4.0° camber on rear)

7cc9be40-51c2-4cea-9208-51e67fd173ae_zpshiq2ntwr.jpg

a5481461-ae38-46dc-9808-c4b360f83c01_zps3qy3q4b1.jpg

bfb01482-2895-4332-a7c8-67f1e26a0f81_zpscqco7ril.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom