The Queen's Gambit (Netflix) TV Show Review & Comments

Cheers for the review - I'll check it out later mate.
And thanks for not revealing the endgame.

*that's enough chess references for one post - Ed*

loving the review ,sounds like something ill enjoy.

Two episodes in and I’m loving it. Beautifully made, great script, great players, beautifully directed and intensely gripping. While a lot of the heavy lifting has been done by the book, the adaption pulls equally hard and creates something that’s miles and miles ahead of most Netflix fare. Strongly recommend also.

Thanks for the review Kumari :smashin:

This wouldn't have been on my radar at all!

I always liked the film called Innocent Moves which is a slightly more family friendly take on a young person displaying astonishing chess brilliance. I'm only one episode in but it was very enjoyable and I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes.

Out of all the new Netflix stuff, it's easy to miss or even dismiss things.

Thanks @Kumari Tilakawardane for highlighting this. Definitely going to jump up the ever increasing watch list

I was really wondering about this...thanks for the review, will definitely be giving this a watch.

Enjoyed this.relies a bit too much on her ppinty face and wide eues at times.
The young girl is great. ATJ is also convincing. Shame there wasnt more Mr S. New mom is tragically fun. Less tragic is her sisterr, in every sense, whp felt missed for a while.
Some of the camera shots are maddening off the board or players during games or, abruptly cut.
The story works overall - even if she lost ppints for earwigin' a cheay and not reacting in shame to her lovely senior gent.
Lpts of story and just and 7 parts is plenty.
Oh and the kid from Love, actually...spookilly the same.
8 for me.

Two episodes in and I’m loving it. Beautifully made, great script, great players, beautifully directed and intensely gripping. While a lot of the heavy lifting has been done by the book, the adaption pulls equally hard and creates something that’s miles and miles ahead of most Netflix fare. Strongly recommend also.
Have now finished it in two sittings. It has a strong book underpinning it, the script is never less than perfect, the players melting effortlessly into their roles and being a limited series it spends no time wasting time.

From a directorial standpoint this is absolutely revelatory for a TV drama. The frequent cuts from dark rooms to bright vistas and back give each episode a sense of life, like it’s breathing. Beautiful use of colour, too.

The sets and mis en scene are flawless in terms of putting you in a time and a place. You need to take a moment to admire each of the sets because there is just so much detail to enjoy.

There are moments of high adrenaline, including a couple of extremely memorable montage sequences. One featuring Mason Williams’ Classical Gas particularly sticks in mind, not least because of how well chosen that particular piece of music is, but also the way the director deploys his temporal ellipses — throwing high impact imagery onto the screen one after the next to form a comic panel effect. That whole sequence just left me shaking my head and thinking my GOD this is so good.

There is lots of stuff like this in The Queen’s Gambit. It packs so much into just seven episodes, not least a couple of earned, but unexpected emotional gutpunch moments that had me sobbing like a child.

This might be the best thing I have seen in 2020. It certainly has the fewest flaws. Cannot recommend highly enough. 10/10.

For me this was wonderful , really enjoyed it. I felt the opening was stronger than the end game but the story is engaging and accompanied with great visuals , music ques(now checking OST) and acting especially Anya Taylor-joy. Whilst on a Chess technical level it was all "Speed Chess" i can see why it was represented this way for the series. On a personal level i learnt to play chess from my Grandad when i was around 6 or 7.....took me till i was 14 to beat him and that was a momentous moment for me. My first book winning chess openings by Fred Reinfeld. I did play in some clubs and leagues did one tournament in Plymouth (i'm certainly no prodigy :)) but wouldn't say i par take to much these days but you never loose the moves. This really resonated for me..... Great.

Two episodes in and it's very well scripted, written and acted.
Will update once completed.

Barbarians and La Revolution are worth a watch also... :)

One of best mini series I've watched in a good while. The lead is perfect for the roll. Stunning eyes too.

On a personal level i learnt to play chess from my Grandad when i was around 6 or 7.....took me till i was 14 to beat him and that was a momentous moment for me. My first book winning chess openings by Fred Reinfeld.

My uncle taught me about same age and was gobsmacked when about a year later I beat him in 5 moves. Will never forget his face :)

I also joined chess club & read a few books but soon realised I wasn't prepared to put work in to get that good & up against "autistic" types with amazing minds I could never compete against.

As a former high school chess champion I loved every min of this. Brought back memories in a sport I love. Amazing series, very detailed, Lot of research as gone into this.
Beth role highlights that if you have the talent anything is possible, the upbringing is irreverent.

10/10 a little gem.

Bravo Bravo.

On a personal level i learnt to play chess from my Grandad when i was around 6 or 7.....took me till i was 14 to beat him and that was a momentous moment for me. My first book winning chess openings by Fred Reinfeld.
As a former high school chess champion I loved every min of this. Brought back memories in a sport I love. Amazing series, very detailed, Lot of research as gone into this.
Beth role highlights that if you have the talent anything is possible, the upbringing is irreverent.

10/10 a little gem.

Bravo Bravo.
A sport ? I'd never class it as a sport*. Paid gaming, yes. Agree with your 10/10.

* I know some institutions do but I never will. Unless its speed chess and you move that fast you get a sweat on :D Then again they class Snooker as a Sport too and that's also a game to me. Maybe they redefined what Sport means.

Last edited:
A sport ? I'd never class it as a sport*
You could say it's a mental sport :) . I agree though don't think I ever classed it as a sport.

Thinking of watching this, potentially with the wife. Is it suitable family viewing? What is the guidance rating as she doesnt watch sex/violent tv programs?

Thinking of watching this, potentially with the wife. Is it suitable family viewing? What is the guidance rating as she doesnt watch sex/violent tv programs?
No nudity or violence. Wife loved it too. Both think one of best dramas we have watched.

Some sex scenes but nothing revealed and of course drug/drink use. Excellent 60s female fashion for Harmon too.

Anya Taylor-Joy is award material for me in this one.

I even enjoyed The New Mutants due to the brilliance of ATJ, so I'm not surprised to find I am loving this.

I watched 4 episodes last night. Some of the best TV that I have watched in a long time. Beautiful cinematography, strong script, well acted. I would put it on a miniseries par with something like Shawshank where the script and acting carry what is a wonderful production. 10/10. ATJ is fantastic

Mild sex scenes - no nudity, not gratuitous at all and very short. No violence. No gratuitous profanity although occasional swearing. Mild Drug references. Overall suitable to watch with most family members except for the very young. I would describe it as relatively wholesome without being puritanical.

I'll be checking this out aswell.
But shouldn't this review have been posted in the TV forum seeing as it's a series not a film?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom