The Star Wars movies ranked

Having spent the week watching Episodes 3-9, I'm changing my rankings. I've already ranked the films in this thread as follows:
1. Star Wars
2. Empire Strikes Back
3. Rogue One
4. The Last Jedi
5. The Force Awakens
6. Return of the Jedi
7. Attack of the Clones
8. Revenge of the Sith
9. The Phantom Menace

The new ranking is based on how much I enjoyed what I watched recently rather than from memory if you get where I'm coming from:

1. Empire Strikes Back
2. Rogue One
3. The Force Awakens
4. The Last Jedi
5. Star Wars
6 The Rise of Skywalker
7. Return of the Jedi
8. Attack of the Clones
9. Revenge of the Sith
10.The Phantom Menace

The reason Star Wars and TROFJ have dropped in my ranking is due to the Special Edition fiddling and tweaking. I'm not sure if it's because I watched them on 4K discs but many of the cgi effects added look so much more inept and I'd forgotten the plot changes which have destroyed what was almost a perfect story arc.

1. Star Wars (1977, or 4K77 version)
2. Empire Strikes Back (1980, or 4K80 version when out)
3. Return of the Jedi (1983, or 4K83 version)
4. Rogue One
5. Solo

Don't like any of the special editions, as for the rest of the movies they can be deleted from history for all i care. As i just cant watch them anymore, gave them a chance but was majorly underwhelmed past the point of disappointment to seriously disliking them.

My rankings tend to vary from week to week but I guess this is accurate for now.

1) The Last Jedi
2) The Empire Strikes Back
3) Rogue One
4) A New Hope
5) Return of the Jedi
6) The Force Awakens
7) The Rise of Skywalker
8) Solo
9) The Phantom Menace
10) Revenge of the Sith
11) Attack of the Clones

TFA would probably be higher than ROTJ if I felt more satisfied with TROS.

My current rankings:

Empire
Star Wars
Return of the Jedi
Revenge of the Sith
Rogue One
The Last Jedi
The Phantom Menace
Solo
Force Awakens
Attack of the Clones
Rise of Skywalker

Think I'll have an update too:
  1. Rogue One
  2. The Empire Strikes Back
  3. Return of the Jedi
  4. Revenge of the Sith
  5. A New Hope
  6. The Last Jedi
  7. Attack of the Clones
  8. The Force Awakens
  9. The Phantom Menace
  10. Rise of Skywalker
  11. Solo

JJ's two films are entertaining in places, but they are just absolute rubbish. Unimaginative, lazy, stupid, and made up without any real thought by people with no understanding of the franchise. Repeat viewings confirm it beyond all doubt. The first two prequels are at least good at world-building, they are just so poorly directed and acted it's painful. The only reason I place Force Awakens above Phantom Menace is because its so deftly directed in comparison to the turgid prequel. Solo I just find boring and pointless.

The original trilogy deserves pride of place but I've probably seen them all too many times. Revenge of the Sith is hands down the best story, another director could have made it the ultimate star wars film. The Last Jedi is a frustrating failure of a story, but at least they tried to do something original. And the action scenes are terrific to look at. Rogue One is still king, pipping Empire just because it's so thrilling and I really love the characters and the stakes. None of our heroes are overpowered.

The Mandalorian and Clone Wars have both produced episodes that would rank higher than the sequel trilogy.

Think I'll have an update too:
  1. Rogue One
  3. Return of the Jedi
  4. Revenge of the Sith
  5. A New Hope
  6. The Last Jedi
  7. Attack of the Clones
  8. The Force Awakens
  9. The Phantom Menace
  10. Rise of Skywalker
  11. Solo

JJ's two films are entertaining in places, but they are just absolute rubbish. Unimaginative, lazy, stupid, and made up without any real thought by people with no understanding of the franchise. Repeat viewings confirm it beyond all doubt. The first two prequels are at least good at world-building, they are just so poorly directed and acted it's painful. The only reason I place Force Awakens above Phantom Menace is because its so deftly directed in comparison to the turgid prequel. Solo I just find boring and pointless.

The original trilogy deserves pride of place but I've probably seen them all too many times. Revenge of the Sith is hands down the best story, another director could have made it the ultimate star wars film. The Last Jedi is a frustrating failure of a story, but at least they tried to do something original. And the action scenes are terrific to look at. Rogue One is still king, pipping Empire just because it's so thrilling and I really love the characters and the stakes. None of our heroes are overpowered.

The Mandalorian and Clone Wars have both produced episodes that would rank higher than the sequel trilogy.

I think I nearly got ran off the forum when I first said Rogue One takes the title from Empire :laugh:

My original list -

1. Rogue One
3. A New Hope
4. Return of the Jedi
5. Solo
6. Rise of Skywalker
7. The Last Jedi
8. Revenge of the Sith
9. The Force Awakens
10. Attack of the Clones
11. The Phantom Menace.

After a ponder....

1. Rogue One
2. Empire
3. A New Hope
4. Return of the Jedi
5. Revenge of the Sith (Pantomime Palpatine elevates this film immensely)
6. The Last Jedi
7. Solo
8. Rise of Skywalker
9. Attack of the Clones
10. The Force Awakens
11. Phantom Menace (will never move)

Only just realised how poor that means I think of the latest trilogy. That's disappointing. Very disappointing. For what is the greatest saga of them all.

The Empire Strikes Back (untouchable)
Rogue One (Brilliantly made with a sharp director)
A New Hope (watched this in the cinema back in 77. Experience lives with me even today)
Revenge of the Sith (missed a trick here, Dooku and Grevious could have had a bigger roles but the creation of the greatest villain ever was about to be witnessed)
Return Of The Jedi (conclusion to amazing saga and prefect end)
Force Awakens (Very good return but the magic is missing)
Attack Of the Clones (didn't quite work, felt like a cheap blade runner)
Phantom Menace (10 minutes of Darth Maul and I'm licking my lips)

I really hope JJ Abrams keeps away from Star Wars now..done enough damage. Let's not even talk about TLJ or the terrible TROS...

I agree with many and I understand. Those of us that grew up with the originals will say it's the best ever Sci fi saga whilst the new snowflakes say Abrams is a God... 😂 😂 😂

Question is if Gareth Edwards can get Star Wars so spot on why didn't JJ?
Many argue that Rogue One is not a true Star Wars film either which I find an insult.. Sorry.

1- The Empire Strikes Back
2- Star Wars
3- Return of the Jedi
4- Rogue One
5- Revenge of the Sith
6- The Force Awakens
7- The Last Jedi
8- Attack of the Clones
9- The Phantom Menace
10- The Rise of Skywalker

ESB
RO
(Admittedly these two keep switching places!)
ROTJ
ANH
ROTS
TFA
TPM
TLJ
SOLO
AOTC
TROS

I think the saddest thing about tros is that's what exists as the end of a 9 movie saga. It's such a poorly made film. I see nothing redeemable about it. Terrible plot, script, villain, some actors who are by this point beyond caring, pacing. It's all terrible. If it wasn't a Star Wars film it would have tanked massively.

Empire
Rogue One
Star Wars
Revenge of the Sith
Return of the Jedi
The Last Jedi
Solo
The Phantom Menace
Force Awakens
Rise of Skywalker
Attack of the Clones

Star Wars
Empire
Return of the Jedi
Rogue One
Revenge of the Sith
Attack of the Clones
Force Awakens
The Phantom Menace
Solo
Star Wars Christmas Special
The Last Jedi

Rise of Skywalker

A New Hope (watched this in the cinema back in 77. Experience lives with me even today)
If you watched it in 1977, you watched Star Wars;)

Is there a thread for which SW movie gets the most undeserved bad rap?
I think that could be an exciting hotbed of "opinons"
Other than the original trilogy and Rogue One, the rest are fair game

Is there a thread for which SW movie gets the most undeserved bad rap?
I think that could be an exciting hotbed of "opinons"

Exciting hotbed of opinions, or opening the door and inviting the apocalypse in?

I'm not sure.... :D

I love to have a bit of a troll...
The overlords don't like me doing it though.

Nah, what you should have said was something like this -

"The Last Jedi is easily the best second film of the three Star Wars trilogies."

Discuss.

Garrett would have been reaching for the emergency mod button, reserved only for when the forum is in real danger of apocalyptic implosion.

1. Return of the Jedi
2. Empire Strikes Back
3. Star Wars
4. Rogue One
5. The Last Jedi
6. The Force Awakens
7. Revenge of the Sith
8. The Rise of Skywalker
9. The Phantom Menace
10. Attack of the Clones
11. Solo

If you watched it in 1977, you watched Star Wars;)

I wonder how many people who say they watched it in 77 actually did, considering it was on a very limited release for one week at the end of the year in the U.K. For most folk, myself included, it wouldn’t have been until 78 before we watched it in cinemas.

1. Return of the Jedi
2. Empire Strikes Back
3. Star Wars
4. Rogue One
5. The Last Jedi
6. The Force Awakens
7. Revenge of the Sith
8. The Rise of Skywalker
9. The Phantom Menace
10. Attack of the Clones
11. Solo
This order is wild and I love it.
You have my respect and admiration.

I wonder how many people who say they watched it in 77 actually did, considering it was on a very limited release for one week at the end of the year in the U.K. For most folk, myself included, it wouldn’t have been until 78 before we watched it in cinemas.
I'm sure he meant he watched it on release, which would have meant 1978 for most of us although I seem to recall what when Empire came out they did a Star Wars double bill. I was 6 in 1978 so its possible I didn't watch it until Empire came out in 1981.

1 = A New Hope/Empire Strikes Back & Rogue One
4. The Last Jedi

Not really a fan of any of the others.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom