The Thing (1982) Collector's Edition 4K UHD

Arrow did a brand new 4K restoration of the image I think and when this was compared to the previous Universal disc, it blew it out of the water in terms of detail, colour, etc. In the video below I believe (and someone correct me please!) the Universal blu is the same as the HD-DVD, NOT the Shout Factory one which did their own restoration as well:

But it’s not nailed on that Arrow will make their restored master available for Universal to use for the 4K - so we could have more resolution and HDR applied to a less robust master......

I think this is also what happened with Wafterworld - but I haven’t seen any comparisons. It might be that the difference isn’t that great but as Jim said, we’ll not know until reviews are out. Would seem a total waste of all that work that Arrow out in if their master wasn’t used.......

First time I've seen that. The colours are wildly different. Detail often seems better on the 2016 BR. :confused:
Apart from a couple of shots I prefer the 2016 the colours seem better than most of the 2017 which look tinted and almost looks like what you see going from a HD TV channel to a SD TV channel, or gone into Photoshop and corrected it right for 2016 and than chose the next couple up and over corrected.

Apart from a couple of shots I prefer the 2016 the colours seem better than most of the 2017 which look tinted and almost looks like what you see going from a HD TV channel to a SD TV channel, or gone into Photoshop and corrected it right for 2016 and than chose the next couple up and over corrected.
Do you remember at the time the Arrow disc was released all the brouhaha over the two transfers - the SF one is miles better, no the Arrow one is better, but the SF one looked like I remember it at the cinema 35 years ago, no the Arrow one looked like the print that I saw a few years ago in a run down fleapit in Soho.......

Different colours applied, and in the case of The Thing both allegedly approved by Dean Cundey!!!! So if he can't remember what it was supposed to look like then how the hell do we?????

Anyway, with all these different transfers flying around, its gonna be interesting to see which is used by Universal. Personally, I prefer the cool blues of the Arrow one, gives it a much more cold and stark look that matches the film so I'm rooting for that one to be used.....but that's just me!

Do you remember at the time the Arrow disc was released all the brouhaha over the two transfers - the SF one is miles better, no the Arrow one is better, but the SF one looked like I remember it at the cinema 35 years ago, no the Arrow one looked like the print that I saw a few years ago in a run down fleapit in Soho.......

Different colours applied, and in the case of The Thing both allegedly approved by Dean Cundey!!!! So if he can't remember what it was supposed to look like then how the hell do we?????

Anyway, with all these different transfers flying around, its gonna be interesting to see which is used by Universal. Personally, I prefer the cool blues of the Arrow one, gives it a much more cold and stark look that matches the film so I'm rooting for that one to be used.....but that's just me!
the 2016 looks more or less the best in all the shots for me the 2017 way too warm for me e.g. at 2.26 the fire scene OK there suppose to be warm :rolleyes: but just looks they ramped up the colour too much and lost contrast in the process.

i have just seen this on the web and thought i'd bring it here,

i have just seen this on the web and thought i'd bring it here,

thats the release most are talking about above? not the new 4K release coming from Universal

It still baffles a few now that he approved that SF transfer (artificial sharpening, wrong colour timing) but hey at least he eventually got it right in approving (along with Carpenter) the Arrow restoration which used a 4K scan from the original negative (vs SF 2K IP scan). People can still prefer the SF transfer if they wish of course but for the closest to accuracy...

On a side note, SF re-released The Thing at the end of 2018 using that Arrow Transfer, says it all really.

If not based on the Arrow scan and with Arrow finally going 4K with Pitch Black, could we then see another 4K release down the line by Arrow? I assume Arrow only has rights to the Blu-ray release and ultimately Universal would not want a competing release, certainly not anytime soon.

Yay. Another one I can tick off my lengthy UHD disc wish list. :)

@RedDevil85

chuck-norris-thumbs-up.jpg

I knew you'd drop an announcement for this at some stage. ;)

I'm well up for this. I just hope they get it right.

I’ve probably bought it about 4 times as well. I’ve had it on VHS, DVD and twice on Blu Ray, the latest being the Arrow Steelbook in 2017.

You don't want to know how many times I have bought this movie.

Will buy 4k when out
have had this multiple times only have last 3 now......Dawn of the Dead, Halloween & Enter the Dragon also title bought multiple times....
Version of the Thing over the years
VHS (Rental) may of had Beta as well
VHS (Sell-through)
Laserdisc Standard Edition
Laserdisc - Universal Signature Edition Box Set
DVD (region 1)
HD DVD import
Blu Ray (Region 2)
Blu Ray (Swedish with prequel - was very cheap)
Blu Ray (Shout Factory Region A)
Blu Ray (Arrow 2 editions special edition + steelbook)

Yes we do :D
I've actually lost count.
My rarest copy is the original VHS with the original soundtrack on (no Stevie Wonder).

Another copy of The Thing that will be added to my collection. Love this film and own many other copies. Curious how the 4K is going to look. The blu ray that I own looks awesome and I can't wait to see a 4K.

Is this actually happening? because it's strange that no official announcement has been made about this release.

"My rarest copy is the original VHS with the original soundtrack on (no Stevie Wonder)."
Racquel Darrian

Stevie Wonder's Superstition was on the original theatrical print of the Thing and was replaced by The Four Tops for video release as Universal didn't obtain the rights for home video.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom