The Thing (1982) Collector's Edition 4K UHD

RedDevil85

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Links...

Collector's Edition: Amazon.co.uk - HMV - The Entertainment Store - WB Shop UK - Zavvi

Standard Edition: Amazon.co.uk - HMV - Base.com - Deff.com - The Entertainment Store - Zavvi

Release date: 20/09/2021

TT_4K_CE.png

TT_4K_CE (contents).jpg

Standard Edition:
TT_4K (standard).png

Steelbook threads: The Thing (1982) (Zavvi Exclusive) (4K UHD/Blu-ray Steelbook)

The Thing (1982) (Amazon UK Exclusive) (4K UHD/Blu-ray Steelbook)

Last edited:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Finally. This one’s gonna be good :clap::clap:

Day one purchase.

This is a fave horror flick for me!

Here's another who will be keeping his blu-ray steelbook to pair up with a 4k steel hopefully. :clap:

Brilliant news, this is going to be awesome. :D

One word ... wow ! :thumbsup:

Brilliant, brilliant news. My most anticipated 4k release :)

Glad I held of buying the 4k Blu-ray restoration that reviewed so highly on AVForums a while back.

Will pick this up day 1.

only had this on dvd and its a classic of a movie, it would look amazing on 4k and i do think its going to pricey when it comes out, i will buy becasue i know its a bloody good movie worthy of the cash,

About flippin' time! Easy purchase for me and hopefully a new steelbook option.

But is this going to use the Arrow restoration or the same master as the previous Universal discs? My money is that it wont use the Arrow one........

I didn't see the 4K release of Waterworld but did anyone see that and the Arrow regular 1080p release and see how they stacked up against each other? Given all the plaudits in the world that the Arrow restoration of this got, I'd be really disappointed if this 4K release didn't use it.......... :(

Gotta be day one! Ill keep my steelbook though.

Same & my Arrow Limited Edition too
The film is too good to not own a million times ;)

Neil

But is this going to use the Arrow restoration or the same master as the previous Universal discs? My money is that it wont use the Arrow one........

I didn't see the 4K release of Waterworld but did anyone see that and the Arrow regular 1080p release and see how they stacked up against each other? Given all the plaudits in the world that the Arrow restoration of this got, I'd be really disappointed if this 4K release didn't use it.......... :(
Probably best to wait for reviews but I'm keeping the Arrow whatever happens.

I'm happy with the original 1951 version of the film, TVM. The HD re-mastered version isn't bad, but there are a couple of in-picture glitches that catch you out. Don't get me wrong, the re-make is enjoyable, especially the bit where the guy gets his arms bitten off (they hired a guy who actually did have his lower arms missing for the part, I seem to recall reading somewhere) but by and large I prefer the originals. The Departed is a case in point. The original HK Chinese version Infernal Affairs is far better, IMO. There are in my book, some notable exceptions though. I did think that the re-make of Judge Dredd was far better than the original, and the Robocop re-boot wasn't too shabby either.

I am currently doing a Original v Remake series on my podcast and this week we actually did the Thing and we threw in the 2011 prequal as well. First time I had seen all 3 of these and really enjoyed them all. The 82 JC one comes out on top but I was surprised how much I enjoyed the 51 and 2011 versions too.

I'm happy with the original 1951 version of the film, TVM. The HD re-mastered version isn't bad, but there are a couple of in-picture glitches that catch you out. Don't get me wrong, the re-make is enjoyable, especially the bit where the guy gets his arms bitten off (they hired a guy who actually did have his lower arms missing for the part, I seem to recall reading somewhere) but by and large I prefer the originals. The Departed is a case in point. The original HK Chinese version Infernal Affairs is far better, IMO. There are in my book, some notable exceptions though. I did think that the re-make of Judge Dredd was far better than the original, and the Robocop re-boot wasn't too shabby either.
The Robocop reboot was pretty bad unless you are comparing it to Robocop 3... :D

Ugh. Robocop 3 was an utter disaster. The new Robocop didn't seem too bad to me, but there you go, each to their own.

What’s Arrow do that’s so special? Are they similar to ‘Criterion’ releases which I recall were highly regarded in the Bluray days?

What’s Arrow do that’s so special? Are they similar to ‘Criterion’ releases which I recall were highly regarded in the Bluray days?
Arrow did a brand new 4K restoration of the image I think and when this was compared to the previous Universal disc, it blew it out of the water in terms of detail, colour, etc. In the video below I believe (and someone correct me please!) the Universal blu is the same as the HD-DVD, NOT the Shout Factory one which did their own restoration as well:

But it’s not nailed on that Arrow will make their restored master available for Universal to use for the 4K - so we could have more resolution and HDR applied to a less robust master......

I think this is also what happened with Waterworld - but I haven’t seen any comparisons. It might be that the difference isn’t that great but as Jim said, we’ll not know until reviews are out. Would seem a total waste of all that work that Arrow put in if their master wasn’t used.......

Last edited:
First time I've seen that. The colours are wildly different. Detail often seems better on the 2016 BR. :confused:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom