The Turning (Feb. 22, 2019) directed by Floria Sigismondi

raigraphixs

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
The Turning is a haunted house thriller inspired by the Henry James novella and follows a nanny who oversees two distributed orphans who are harboring dark secrets at an estate in Maine.

Mackenzie Davis, Finn Wolfhard, Joely Richardson and newcomer Brooklyn Prince starring.

The Conjuring
‘s Chad & Carey Hayes wrote with Jade Bartlett.

892dc7a299c1106d4323e7af8a15a801.jpg

Last edited:
2/5
it’s hard not to wonder if the studios accidentally hacked too much out of the final cut. The result is all style and very little substance, with one of the most baffling endings in recent memory.

A average story with cliche horror elements done many times before. But cinematography was good, felt like a 70s horror.

Stick to The Innocents (1961) which i've not seen for decades, so plan to revisit soon.

The scares were mostly reduced to jump scares, but those ghost hands were fun :eek:

Finn Wolfhard was an interesting character as dickish Miles

As for the controversial ending (different to the test screenings), some of the theories are interesting
That Jessel/Kate are the same, and Jessel is in a mental hospital and is fantasying to be Kate and going back to the house to get both children out. At the end Kate sees her face.

Yeah the plot/character structure could had been delivered clearer, and not left to audiences to make up or themselves :D

Lucky for us the great Mike Flanagan has adapted the Bly Manor story for Haunting of Hill House season 2, and he knows creepy!

I liked Davis in this. so not a complete washout 6/10

The Turning (2020) Directed by Floria Sigismondi

This got hell of a slating but have to say this pretty much worked for me, yes its jammed packed with obvious jump scares of the usual shadows and mirrors kind but it also features something else which doesn't turn up in a lot of films of this kind---> decent bloody performances, yep everyone of these players worked for me including Brooklyn Prince who proves that The Florida Project wasn't just a one off, Mackenzie Davis and Barbara Marten are also really good value along with Finn Wolfhard who does well with his Ramsay like Kevin character, the film and setting also looked pretty great and carried a great atmosphere even its much talked about ending is something I can live with and kind of appreciate. 7/10

VFW (2019) Directed by Joe Begos

Bunch of old has-beens (Lang, Sadler, Kelly and even old Norm from Cheers) battle it out in another of those godawful Carpenter type 80s throwback things, think Green Room with Grandad's, nothing works its looks like s*** and its truly bloody terrible.1/10

I was more generous than you on VFW, i gave it a 5/10

Is this on Netflix or any of the streaming sites? Seen a few of you suddenly watching it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom