THE ULTIMATE OPPO MEDIA DEVICE !

Hi All, quick question for owners of this device about how they are storing Dolby Vision rips for playback.

At the moment I am using DVDFab to make main title rips of my 4k Dolby Vision discs. These play great, no problems at all.

For anything which is not Dolby Vision, I generally rip the main title to MKV, and then use Plex to manage the library. Then main device for playback is an Nvidia Shield TV.

So for most general watching I use the Shield, except when I want to specifically watch one of the DV titles, in which case I use the M9702.

I obviously want the DV titles also visible in the Plex library for playback on other devices, but unfortunately Plex does not recognise ISO, or Folder Rips. So at the moment, i am having to make two copies, one main title rip with DV, and one MKV, to play in each scenario. With the size of 4k Movies, this is seriously depleting my available storage!

My question is this: Is there a file format which will play correctly on both devices so i can only save one rip, ie ShieldTV will play it with the HDR10 layer, and the M9702 will play in Dolby Vision?

I had thought that M2TS rips maintaining the dual layer DV should work, but the M9702 doesn't seem to play these in DV, only HDR10. Has anyone else got these to work?

Hi all, i have been reading this post for long time. I am spanish and i have bought one M9702 in the spanish buy group. For the people that are interested (and live in Europe or South America), this is the process (really simple):

1. Join AVPasion forum here

2. Open the post for the buy group here

3. Make a new post saying that you are interested on it. If you want to say it in spanish, that is: "Hola a todos. Estoy interesado en apuntarme a la próxima compra conjunta del M9702".

4. Then, send by private message to "Tocinillo" (here) with this information (nick, name, address, email, phone), like this (replace the dummy info for your real data):

Nick: myNewNickinAvPasion
Name: Jonh Smith
Adress: Rue de l'Arbre Sec Nº23, 75001 Paris (France)
Email: [email protected]
Phone: +33 150 68 99 65

It's necesary to check first if your address is a "Remote area". For this, open this link and fill this info:

De (left side of the screen)
Ciudad: HONG KONG

Para (right side of the screen)
Poblacion: Paris (replace for your city)
Código Postal: 75001 (replace for your postal code)

Click on "Buscar" button and check at the botom part of the screen. If you see something that says "Remote", you will need to change your adress.

5. Wait until the shared buy is ended (reading the group post every day) and Tocinillo say that you can pay the item.

6. To pay is very simple, it will be with PAYPAL, and not the option for "friends and family" (that have no return), it will be with the comercial option. I paid 300 US $, but this could change.

7. After all the people in the group have paid, you will have your "Chinoppo" (spanish name for this device) like in 4-7 days.

Have a nice day!

Hiya, anyone in London with one? I want to see the upscaling in person with some of my rips if you don't mind me coming over I'll really appreciate it.

Hi All, quick question for owners of this device about how they are storing Dolby Vision rips for playback.

At the moment I am using DVDFab to make main title rips of my 4k Dolby Vision discs. These play great, no problems at all.

For anything which is not Dolby Vision, I generally rip the main title to MKV, and then use Plex to manage the library. Then main device for playback is an Nvidia Shield TV.

So for most general watching I use the Shield, except when I want to specifically watch one of the DV titles, in which case I use the M9702.

I obviously want the DV titles also visible in the Plex library for playback on other devices, but unfortunately Plex does not recognise ISO, or Folder Rips. So at the moment, i am having to make two copies, one main title rip with DV, and one MKV, to play in each scenario. With the size of 4k Movies, this is seriously depleting my available storage!

My question is this: Is there a file format which will play correctly on both devices so i can only save one rip, ie ShieldTV will play it with the HDR10 layer, and the M9702 will play in Dolby Vision?

I had thought that M2TS rips maintaining the dual layer DV should work, but the M9702 doesn't seem to play these in DV, only HDR10. Has anyone else got these to work?

Why are you still using the Nvidia Shield, Id use only the M9702 for everything.
I get it, Plex, but Plex limits you.

Dolby Vision only works in BDMV and ISO, and, I think, mp4. There's a method to get DV i to the mp4 and some UHDTVs work with it.

Im sure someone else here will chime in with more info.

Check this out, but audio is limited to DD+/EAC3.

Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux. - www.makemkv.com

Hi all, i have been reading this post for long time. I am spanish and i have bought one M9702 in the spanish buy group. For the people that are interested (and live in Europe or South America), this is the process (really simple):

1. Join AVPasion forum here

2. Open the post for the buy group here

3. Make a new post saying that you are interested on it. If you want to say it in spanish, that is: "Hola a todos. Estoy interesado en apuntarme a la próxima compra conjunta del M9702".

4. Then, send by private message to "Tocinillo" (here) with this information (nick, name, address, email, phone), like this (replace the dummy info for your real data):

Nick: myNewNickinAvPasion
Name: Jonh Smith
Adress: Rue de l'Arbre Sec Nº23, 75001 Paris (France)
Email: [email protected]
Phone: +33 150 68 99 65

It's necesary to check first if your address is a "Remote area". For this, open this link and fill this info:

De (left side of the screen)
Ciudad: HONG KONG

Para (right side of the screen)
Poblacion: Paris (replace for your city)
Código Postal: 75001 (replace for your postal code)

Click on "Buscar" button and check at the botom part of the screen. If you see something that says "Remote", you will need to change your adress.

5. Wait until the shared buy is ended (reading the group post every day) and Tocinillo say that you can pay the item.

6. To pay is very simple, it will be with PAYPAL, and not the option for "friends and family" (that have no return), it will be with the comercial option. I paid 300 US $, but this could change.

7. After all the people in the group have paid, you will have your "Chinoppo" (spanish name for this device) like in 4-7 days.

Have a nice day!

Hi,

Nice contribution to this thread.

Why are you still using the Nvidia Shield, Id use only the M9702 for everything.

Dolby Vision only works in BDMV and ISO, and, I think, mp4. There's a method to get DV i to the mp4 and some UHDTVs work with it.

Hi - I use the Shield TV because its much more user friendly as a main device for media playback over local network and all of the additional apps etc that you get with android TV. The only advantage of the M9702 to me is for playback of Dolby Vision titles that can't currently be played with any other device and that is all I bought it for.

I have seen the discussions regarding the Dolby vision MP4s, which is fine as long as you don't mind losing the lossless audio formats. hopefully someone will figure a way round this sooner or later!

Guess I'll just stick with the ISOs for now!

Check this out, but audio is limited to DD+/EAC3.

Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux. - www.makemkv.com

Hey, thanks for the link, I had already had a look through that discussion. I am not really prepared to lose the lossless audio, so as I said above I'll just hang on til someone finds a way round this limitation for now! I thought that you could playback dual layer DV M2TS files on the M9702, but maybe I am wrong there...it doesn't seem to work for me!

One other question for the folks on here. In the picture settings on the M9702, you can effectively force the player to output Dolby Vision, even for HDR10 titles.

I am presuming all this does is repack the HDR10 static metadata in Dolby vision format and send this to the TV? So although the TV sees a DV signal its really just HDR10 rebadged as DV, and this shouldn't result in any real enhancement to the picture on the TV?

no, it is not just renamed. By means of an algorithm becomes from the static HDR or SDR a dynamic HDR in DolbyVision (12bit 4: 2: 2) calculated. So there is an option for the LG Oled also for static HDR content to make it from Dynamic HDR, this is called here "Dynamic Tonmapping"

Attachments

• 20190613_143337.jpg
    20190613_143337.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 132
no, it is not just renamed. By means of an algorithm becomes from the static HDR or SDR a dynamic HDR in DolbyVision (12bit 4: 2: 2) calculated. So there is an option for the LG Oled also for static HDR content to make it from Dynamic HDR, this is called here "Dynamic Tonmapping"

Ok, interesting...so using this "forced DV" setting on the m9702 do you actually notice any tangible improvements in the picture?

I mean - yes
my player is set to DolbyVision and now all files are played in DV and in my opinion that is a clear added value

I do the same thing, although for different reasons. DV or Full Disc BD content is played locally on the M9702. Anything remuxed is via Plex but connected to Google G-Suite through Plexdrive which allows for unlimited cloud storage for streaming. Hence getting rid of the storage limitation of local!

Hi,

Could anyone that owns M9702 inform me its dimensions, please ? (width, height including feet and depth)
Thanks

Last edited:
I have a M9792 v2, its slightly different
in size to the V3, the avp forum review has the v2 dimensions. Slightly bigger than my 2014 Mac mini.

Thanks man,
I didn’t know V2 and V3 are different in size. Actually I would like to know the dimensions of V3.

If anyone here has signed up for the groupbuy at AVP - the groupbuy has closed and payments need to be sent now, instructions are in the first post on the groupbuy thread:) The quicker everyone pays the quicker we all get our units! :)

If anyone here has signed up for the groupbuy at AVP - the groupbuy has closed and payments need to be sent now, instructions are in the first post on the groupbuy thread:) The quicker everyone pays the quicker we all get our units! :)

That’s right.
Nice to remember that.

Can someone please confirm if the aspect ratio of 21:9 introduced in an Oppo firmware update a while back exists on this player?
Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom