The Umbrella Academy Season 2 (Netflix) TV Show Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
I finished this yesterday, and actually liked both seasons equally. It's not quite as nuts as Doom Patrol, and in some ways that's a good thing, IMO. I find with Doom Patrol if you take your eyes off it for 20 seconds, you can find yourself with no clue what's happening. Thought this was really fun. Second season more an 8/10 for me, same as what I would give season 1. Cheers for the review, Cas.

I've been binging season 2 the last few evenings, and really enjoying it. I'd agree it could easily be tightened up to a shorter run and/or have some better handling of the background elements, but overall it feels like a decent effort. I've got a couple of episodes still to get through :)

I've been watching this the last few days and I think it is great. 5 is bit more manic this series and Vanya is certainly more tolerable. Klaus is Klaus and his interactions with Ben (no 6) are better than Season 1. The antagonist this time around is a little more diffuse than in Season 1 - but a solid 8/10 for me - one of Netflix's better efforts - George

Thanks for the review Cas, so far i have only watched the first 2 episodes but i have to say that i am hugely enjoying it especially
the 1960's time
period.

A few episodes in and visually it's the best looking Dolby Vision streamed content I've ever seen. Shame no Atmos to match, but stunning nonetheless. I can't get enough of these curved windshields slowly panning to lit storefront signs, really impressed.

Would also say i enjoyed this as much as the first season, as you already know the characters. As mentioned the time period of the 1960s makes it interesting and there is also some valid social commentary which applies equally today without going too far over the top.

Also, you find out a bit more about the Commission that feels like it gives more background to some of the characters motives, thought Herb was a very amusing character too.

Some of the one liners between the siblings are absolutely hilarious.

Hopefully it gets another season

Not enjoying it as much as season 1 (I'm 5 episodes in so far)....but its still a solid 7.5/10 for me, whereas season 1 was at least 8.5/10.

Did my best to get into this, but that Klaus character is so incredibly annoying that I reluctantly threw the towel in early.

Did my best to get into this, but that Klaus character is so incredibly annoying that I reluctantly threw the towel in early.
After watching season one (you do know this is a season two review don't you Tim) i'd have thought you'd have been more than used to his charms & depth of character by now.

Season 1 was great 9.5/10

Nearly finished Season 2 and instead of an actual story they just seem intent on building the characters some more as they dont really have a proper story.

After watching season one (you do know this is a season two review don't you Tim) i'd have thought you'd have been more than used to his charms & depth of character by now.

I do know it's season two 'Killing', indeed. I was referring to the season one when I said 'Did my best to get into this'. Apologies for not being more specific.

He was my favourite in S1. Is he annoying now. or do you just not like him?

Just on the last few episodes and enjoying it and just about on par with S1 (which to be honest surprised me).

A great review and score give or take 0.5, but not quite finished it yet.

Thanks

Second seasons of TV series like The Umbrella Factory can prove disappointing mainly because most of the early intrigue you gained from the show no longer exists, the viewer knows what to expect.
I enjoyed season one though did find the frenetic eccentric behaviour of the cast a bit distracting at times, but you quickly understand that this is part of the enjoyment of watching the show.
I will eventually watch season two of this series, hopefully I wont be too jaded by then, with all the new seasons released by Netflix recently. Thanks Netflix!.
My rating for season one of The Umbrella Factory is: 8 out of 10.

Second seasons of TV series like The Umbrella Factory can prove disappointing

I'd agree, a 'How it's made' -esque Umbrella Factory show wouldn't need a second season.

The Umbrella Academy, however, has been pretty good :)

Finished seasson 2 and i find it at the same level like a first one.
8.5 out of 10

I really Enjoy it .... apart from Vanya , she does my head in

I made it to the end and you can see the classic Gerard Way style in
Sparrow Academy
, I'm not sure I like it. Strong season though and looking forward to a third.

Tried to watch this a couple of times and just can't get in to it at all.

I think The Umbrella Academy - along with Ozark - are worth my Netflix subscription. It's quirky and nicely atmospheric. I also thought that Lila was a great addition to the series and it's always a pleasure to see Marin Ireland from Sneaky Pete.
Other wonderful characters - such as The Handler, Hazel (and the doughnut lady), Cha-Cha and Herb has me hope for a third season.

I just hope the whole anti-semitism side of things doesn't bring the show down.

I just hope the whole anti-semitism side of things doesn't bring the show down.
Me to as i am just so tired of all it all. As I believe the Handler speaks all languages so the response seems a little over sensitive but I guess these are sensitive times again. Not to mention the co-creator Steve Blackman & writer of said episodes is himself Jewish.

Steve Blackman responds to the claim's.

The Umbrella Academy showrunner hits back ‘anti-Semitic’ accusations against season 2: ‘It’s hurtful

The Handler speaks every language, including Swedish, Mandarin, Yiddish, and English as we saw this season, and The Commission is not an evil organisation; they do not control finances, governments, or the media. ‘The only thing they control – and more importantly, protect – is the timeline of our fictional Umbrella Academy universe.’

Decent 2nd series with quality picture & sound.👍

Just finished it and I enjoyed it a lot more than season 1 the direction seems a lot more confident and the soundtrack is superb and a great story as well it's over all wacky storyline set in the 60s was a breath of fresh air let's hope Netflix let's it continue

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom