The very beginning of brief sounds CUT OFF on Sony STR-DH700

purpleskunk

Standard Member
Reaction score
This is annoying the BEJEEZUS out of me. Please help.

I have a Sony STR-DH700 receiver connected to my PS3 and TV via HDMI, like this:

[PS3]-------->[Receiver]-------->[TV]

(The arrows represent HDMI cables).

On the PS3's XMB ('main menu'), moving the cursor from item to item produces a very brief audible 'Click'. When you aren't doing anything at all, there is utter silence.

It seems as though the receiver is taking a few milliseconds to 'wake up' to the fact that audio is coming through, so the very beginning of each 'Click' is cut off.

That is, if you move from item to item every few seconds, instead of hearing:

"Click..........Click..........Click..........Click"
... you hear:
"...ck.............ck.............ck.............ck"

The net effect is that it sounds like much softer clicks.

Whereas, if you hold down left or right and thereby produce many clicks in quick succession, you hear:
"...ckClickClickClickClickClickClickClickClickClick"
...as only the very first click is partially cut off.

Amusingly enough, the TV (with its crappy TV audio handling electronics) does not have this problem.

Is there a way to convince the receiver to stop trying to be bloody smart and determine when there is audio coming through, and when there is not audio coming through, and intelligently turn off the audio processing when it isn't, and just keep it on all the time? That is what I suspect the problem is. The bloody thing seems to be turning its audio processing off or something while no audio is coming through, and then to turn it back on, there is a delay of a few milliseconds, so the first few milliseconds of audio get cut right off...

Annoying.

Any ideas?

Okay, you need to go to the AUDIO menu and change 'DEC. PRI' from 'DEC. AUTO' to 'DEC. PCM'.

I also turned on the 'AVSYNC' feature for good measure.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom