The what's turned, and is turning 4K DV/HDR/Dolby Atmos on Apple TV thread.

Nobbler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To try and keep the bargains thread exactly that - heads ups for bargains in iTunes (not everybody's ATV is 4K capable after all..;) ), I think I would be a good idea to raise awareness of any films that have recently turned 4K either Dolby Vision (DV) or High Dynamic Range (HDR) in this thread. The official ATV 4K thread is becoming cluttered with what has and is turning 4K and does detract from the original intention of the thread.

Just watched Predators. Good little upgrade over the HD with HDR, better colours, bright specular highlights.

See @Nobbler, you can polish a turd. Just joking, I think it's a decent action flick.

Predator has definitely take a drop in audio as really quiet soundtrack and vocals now since the hdr update

Is there a list for UK?

Not officially, on here it would take someone to manually add them, and then keep it updated. Normally it would be by the OP in a thread like this, but I don't think Nobbler would be interested in doing that, or many others tbh.

I just use CheapCharts on the iPad and select the UK 4k section.

I think most people will come here to find films that have newly gone 4K.

I think most people will come here to find films that have newly gone 4K.

Yes but that will be for newly added titles, not a list of ALL available titles, which Nabs25 is after.

Well the OP could keep an updated list in the original post or make a Google sheets list or something along those lines. Or maybe we should ask flat panels hd for a UK copy of their list.

I'm having a little crack at this and I thought it would be useful to allow it to cover multiple countries since some of us make use of multiple stores. This is my very limited start on a google sheet:

Apple 4K Movies

It only has three items right now and I'm tinkering with filters for various things and I'm also having a tinker with the google search api to see if I can have it populate the list regularly without me having to do all the work.

I've done some more work on the list and most of the UK 4K movies should be on there now, but I'm still working on getting all of the information in. I've also found that CheapCharts is not actually 100% accurate. E.g. The Bourne Ultimatum is 4K, but CheapCharts still has it as HD.

I've done some more work on the list and most of the UK 4K movies should be on there now, but I'm still working on getting all of the information in. I've also found that CheapCharts is not actually 100% accurate. E.g. The Bourne Ultimatum is 4K, but CheapCharts still has it as HD.
Nice work fella, Spider-Man 3 is 4KDV too ;)

Remember to stick to the specific topic in this thread. Only talk about films that getting upgraded/ will get upgraded soon to 4k soon

Otherwise we will have a mess of two threads

Last edited:
Hotel Transylvania.

I'll try to do some updates to the list I'm making later today. Anyone else have thoughts on it? I think it does what we wanted, but I'm open to suggestions if it needs to be changed.

Anyone else have thoughts on it? I think it does what we wanted, but I'm open to suggestions if it needs to be changed.

The only thing that I can think of is maybe a column titled something along the lines of ‘is it currently available for purchase’
Probably won’t apply to most movies but was thinking of the likes of The Mummy Trilogy which are 4KHDR but not currently available for purchase.

The main reason I started this thread is because the bargains o e was becoming cluttered with things like "Predator removed so should be back HDR soon" - which is fantastic information but had nothing to do with actually being a bargain...that kind of talk can now go In here so if folk were considering buying Predator for example bit already had the HD Blu then purchasing the 4K HDR version would certainly be of interest to them.
Last week I also pointed out that Batman Ninja had been upgraded to 4K DV but to inform both bargain hunters (as it is a bargain at £9.99 with 2 versions and loads of extras), I had to post it in the bargain thread AND the ATV 4K thread. Again this thread negates the need to post it twice. Or three time as I have now ..:rolleyes:

Last edited:
The only thing that I can think of is maybe a column titled something along the lines of ‘is it currently available for purchase’
Probably won’t apply to most movies but was thinking of the likes of The Mummy Trilogy which are 4KHDR but not currently available for purchase.
Is this happening often enough to require a column? I'm not sure the intention would be for movies to go 4K and then regularly remove the option. If this has happened on numerous movies though, I would definitely consider it.

I have also added some 'filtered views' on the sheet, if you click on the Data menu or the filter icon on the toolbar, you now have some options for filtering on different video/audio qualities and there is also a sort by date added to see when movies were last added to the list. you can also manually filter using the filter buttons at the top if you like though. These just give some predefined options.

I'll try to keep this list updated, and will also update it based on comments here. When I finish making it, I wouldn't mind if any of long term members are interested in becoming co-editors too.

I'm still trying to figure out how cheap charts is doing it automatically using the search api, but I have a feeling they use the EPF feed from Apple which you have to apply to get. That might also explaing why there are movies missing from their list as the EPF feed requires manual downloads and updates.

Is this happening often enough to require a column? I'm not sure the intention would be for movies to go 4K and then regularly remove the option. If this has happened on numerous movies though, I would definitely consider it.
At the moment probably not, was the only thing I could think of as a possible.

I have also added some 'filtered views' on the sheet, if you click on the Data menu or the filter icon on the toolbar, you now have some options for filtering on different video/audio qualities and there is also a sort by date added to see when movies were last added to the list. you can also manually filter using the filter buttons at the top if you like though. These just give some predefined options.

I'll try to keep this list updated, and will also update it based on comments here. When I finish making it, I wouldn't mind if any of long term members are interested in becoming co-editors too.

I'm still trying to figure out how cheap charts is doing it automatically using the search api, but I have a feeling they use the EPF feed from Apple which you have to apply to get. That might also explaing why there are movies missing from their list as the EPF feed requires manual downloads and updates.
I think what your doing is credible mate but no really what I had intended when I started the thread. If you see my post above yours you'll see what I meant...but if it helps folk then please keep going :thumbsup:

I think what your doing is credible mate but no really what I had intended when I started the thread. If you see my post above yours you'll see what I meant...but if it helps folk then please keep going :thumbsup:

But you would still need a list of some sort so people who dont check every post can refer to just one post, right?

I get that but as per below having the list serves the purpose yandy mentions too. No need to scroll through the entire thread when it gets long but just maybe refer to the list in your original post when it's ready?
But you would still need a list of some sort so people who dont check every post can refer to just one post, right?

Don't suppose anybody has any clue if John Wick is likely to go 4k on iTunes anytime soon?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom