The 'WHERE?' and 'BEST PRICE?' thread....

Good kit at good price :smashin:

Grey Imports - pros and cons?

Anything I should be particularly aware of?

I am looking at the D7500 with 18-140 lens kit, and my local shop didn't have one, were very helpful, but couldn't answer all the questions I had. £1299. Currys didn't either.

Online Price is £929 - grey import with 3 years of their "own" warranty. A big £370 difference.

Who from?

Who from?
The one I was recommended by a friend is in the Cotswolds, they sell cameras

I have not been able to speak with them to get some questions answered but it’s apparently run by photographers. Just had an email back so maybe that’s their preferred route.

The one I was recommended by a friend is in the Cotswolds, they sell cameras

I have not been able to speak with them to get some questions answered but it’s apparently run by photographers. Just had an email back so maybe that’s their preferred route.

What's the website?

There are even cheaper ones out there (£835), my question was really about the trust in the grey market.
Or are the products so good it is worth the risk?

Any experiences here?

Would any of these T&C on warranty concern you? They mean I won't purchase from this particular grey importer (£835 price above) but at least its in B&W upfront.

"2. For any items with a 1 Year UK Supplied Warranty, XXXXXXX will refer customers to authorised repair centers within the UK to carry out repair work."

Seems like they want you to do all the running around and have nothing to do with the warranty.

"6. XXXXXXX does not provide a home repair service; customers need to deliver and collect their products to and from the Authorised Service Centre’s provided by XXXXXXX ."

"9. XXXXXXX and its Authorised Service Centre’s reserve the right to use new parts, factory remanufactured or refurbished parts whilst carrying out warranty repairs."
No mention of "official" parts - so I would fear the worst.

"13. XXXXXXX shall not be liable for any loss directly or indirectly incurred during the process of repair or transportation to and from the XXXXXXX Authorised Service Centre’s or due to events of force majeure or any accidents."
They seem to be saying you must send it where we tell you, but if they break it during repair - they are not liable in any way.

"18. XXXXXXX reserves the right to refuse providing warranty services and/or demand compensation for any costs incurred as a result of the repair work, investigation costs or transportation costs resulting from situations covered under terms 14, 15, 16 and 17."
And if you are not carefull - they might charge you.

I have left their name out of it, as I have not used them (and Trust Pilot score is very good) - but its information for others to read the small print if this is important to them.

I was unsure about this too
"A: We are unable to provide a VAT invoice. However, we can provide of course provide customers with a standard invoice."
I could find no UK address on their website, so probably completely overseas but with a .co.uk
website.

Have a look at HDEW who have a good reputation.....

Buying "grey" has been covered many times if you search on the supplier name here and elsewhere you'll find out if the specific supplier are generally trustworthy.
They probably can't supply a VAT receipt because they aren't paying VAT in the UK and may not be paying the correct import duties. How you feel about not paying that tax that as an individual is up to you.

I wouldn't be unduly concerned about the warranty, many grey suppliers use the same service centres as the official UK distributors. As there are grey suppliers who offer better than the standard UK terms I'd pay a bit more for more peace of mind.

There are trustworth grey importers who can supply a VAT receipt and have UK premises - they source their cameras etc. in international markets which depending on local prices and currency valuations can make them a lot cheaper than an official UK supplier.

C2C93549-4C23-48AA-8429-7B5377DCD27D.png
John Lewis IN NORWICH [edit] are having a clearance sale. They have the display model olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark ii with the 14-42 EZ pancake lens for £264 which is crazy cheap.
If I didn’t have one already then I’d buy it!

Last edited:
HDEW cameras is pretty cheap. I bought my Canon 70D from them. It IS grey, but you get a free 3yr warranty on bodies. Thanks to a stood sound engineer putting volume way too high (my camera's sound in level was set to 1) I ended up needing a new mainboard, which was repaired at an approved Canon/Nikon repair centre in Scotland. They needed to source one from Canon, and it took about a month. Happy with the service.

Thought I would post on here instead of startling a new thread.
I am looking at selling my gear as it simply sits in its bag looking sorry for itself. All A mount. All as new. Could someone do a price check?
Sony A58 with 18-55mm
Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro
Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 XR
Tamron SP 70-300mm USD
All the above are boxed as new.
Minolta f1.8mm 50mm
I have a few other cheaper lenses as well

Amazon Warehouse have the Sony A7ii with packaging for £727 though it’s missing a battery. Possible chance of £300 cash back on it as you have to wait 30 days from purchase to claim it. May be worth a shout for someone.

Attachments

• 7C4312E5-DB4C-4F97-9ACD-95C6A5E79FAC.jpeg
    7C4312E5-DB4C-4F97-9ACD-95C6A5E79FAC.jpeg
    555.9 KB · Views: 117
Morning!

Has anyone seen the best place to pick up a Z6/Z6 II and FTZ Adapter?

I think its finally time to jump from my D800

I’m 49, going to hit 50 in September. I have always fancied getting into photography, I even looked at doing a photography course at Fylde College nearly 30 years ago, but bottled it. My wife would like to buy me something nice for my 50th, I would like a hobby (not a mid-life crisis), so could anybody please recommend a reasonable entry level camera, something that would be easy to carry around but wouldn’t break the bank?

Hi @Alexandra71 this thread is for posting and finding good prices on equipment - it's also very quiet :)

I'd suggest you post a new thread in this forum.

It would be worth including an idea of how much you'd like to spend and what you're likely to be taking pictures of.

ALERT Grey Advice

EInfinity online for cheapest price, i buy from here and generally it arrives in 10 days, 1 year warranty etc, probably wont find any cheaper online, ive bought 1000s through them....

HOWEVER

Panamoz is my personal Favourite slightly more £££ however take note of their offer of the more in your basket the more you save, and also email them Tina normally replies and gives more discount. BUT the major benefit they give you a 3 year Warranty, which when buying something expensive its worth the Extra, due to UK WARR issues.

The practice is you get Fixation to quote you or Sony/Nikon etc Panamoz pay them. But touch wood thus far i haven't had any claims only a friend i know has.

I ordered 8K worth of gear Weds evening, it was on my doorstep Monday.

The Canon website is offering a comprehensive M50 kit at seemingly a good deal (with a further £55 off until 21/4):

My concern is that in the current inflationary environment this is "too good to be true"!

Anyone have any experience of similar offers and whether this is a as good a deal as it first appears please? Maybe there is an M50 update in the pipeline?

The Canon website is offering a comprehensive M50 kit at seemingly a good deal (with a further £55 off until 21/4):

My concern is that in the current inflationary environment this is "too good to be true"!

Anyone have any experience of similar offers and whether this is a as good a deal as it first appears please? Maybe there is an M50 update in the pipeline?
Cheapest M50 II with lens I can see is £640 so after the £55 discount you are paying £75 for 32gb card, spare battery and backpack.
32GB card: £7.28
Spare battery: £52.98
Total for these: £60.26, so backpack has to be worth around £15 or more for the deal to be cheaper than buying everything separately. But as a bonus you do get a 2 year warranty.

Personally if I was in the market for one of these I'd go with this
Canon EOS M50 Mark II Mirrorless Camera, Black + EF-M 15-45mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM Lens, Graphite in Wi-Fi Cameras at Canon
£634.99 for camera+lens (seems to be the cheapest available anywhere except grey market) with 2 year warranty and free delivery. Using this as base price the backpack has to be worth around £20 or more to come out ahead.

Last edited:
Thank you that makes sense.

I was wondering what quality the SD card and spare battery would be for that price but actually it's not that good a deal anyway.

Seemingly, for anyone else in the market there are a few money off promos on the Canon website for Easter, which are also available at London Camera Exchange and Jessops so probably other stores too.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom