The Xbox One General Chat thread

Sorry if asked before, but I have an Xbox one X. When I finish using it, I turn the console off via the menus. Should I power it down at the wall too, or leave it switched on? Thanks

No issue in either to be honest. Do you have it set to Fully Shutdown or Instant On to keep games and apps updated ?

You know you can hold down the Xbox Icon Button on the Controller and it will give you the option to turn off the Xbox also rather than going through menu's.

No issue in either to be honest. Do you have it set to Fully Shutdown or Instant On to keep games and apps updated ?

You know you can hold down the Xbox Icon Button on the Controller and it will give you the option to turn off the Xbox also rather than going through menu's.

Thanks. I have it set to instant on. I was unsure about turning it off at the wall in case the hard drive might be running.
I had no idea about holding down the button on the controller. I'm not really a gamer at all but got one of these to help through the lockdown.
Thanks very much for the tips...

Thanks. I have it set to instant on. I was unsure about turning it off at the wall in case the hard drive might be running.
I had no idea about holding down the button on the controller. I'm not really a gamer at all but got one of these to help through the lockdown.
Thanks very much for the tips...

If you have it set to Instant On then don't turn it off at the Wall.
I never turn mine off and have it as Instant on.

I think even if you have it set to energy saver you shouldn't turn off at wall either.

Only reason I think this, is because deep in settings there is a full shutdown tab, which is different from normal power off in energy save mode, because it takes longer to shutdown when you click it, which makes me think even in energy saver mode its not completely off either, just in a much lower power state.

Does anyone know if it's possible to set the filters in games and apps to be permanent, they also revert to default for me, for example setting it to show only games stored on my external hdd.

I think even if you have it set to energy saver you shouldn't turn off at wall either.
Are you serious?

Xbox instant on, Sky no option to turn off from a standby mode, most TV's have no option to turn off from standby and your saying you shouldn't unplug them?

🤪

I switch my TV and all my consoles off at the mains over night and I haven't encountered any issues with them. I'd be very surprised if you can't turn it off at the mains from energy saver mode.

Are you serious?

Xbox instant on, Sky no option to turn off from a standby mode, most TV's have no option to turn off from standby and your saying you shouldn't unplug them?

🤪

I think you have taken my post a bit to serious:laugh:, where did I mention TVs and other set top boxes.

All I'm saying is that in energy saving mode on the xbox, i think it's just in a much lower power state, as you can still charge pad, and sometimes I can here the hdd working still, of course you can power off at wall if you wish, but you don't need to.
The only time I ever turn off wall mains is if I go on holiday, I also go into settings and click the full shutdown option before I turn mains off.

Maybe someone can explain what the difference is between switching off from the pad or menu, and the full shutdown option in settings, while in energy save mode?

Last edited:
I switch my TV and all my consoles off at the mains over night and I haven't encountered any issues with them. I'd be very surprised if you can't turn it off at the mains from energy saver mode.

My original post was wrong on that, all I was trying to say is that if you go into settings on xbox there is a full shutdown option, there must be a reason for this to be in settings?

It takes longer to shutdown when you click it, so the normal turn off option cannot put it into a completely off state. I'm sure there is no harm either way.

Maybe it just stops power altogether, like charging pads, I know I can charge pads when console is off in energy save mode, perhaps in full shutdown it wouldn't charge them.

Sorry if asked before, but I have an Xbox one X. When I finish using it, I turn the console off via the menus. Should I power it down at the wall too, or leave it switched on? Thanks

I depends if you use any of the instant on functions, like auto updates(which will update your game when the console is off) or remote downloads.

My original post was wrong on that, all I was trying to say is that if you go into settings on xbox there is a full shutdown option, there must be a reason for this to be in settings

Full shutdown in settings is the same as when you hold the on/off button for 10 secs. This clears the cache and a complete reboot when powered up.

Is there a media player for the Xbox that will read and play video files played on a nas drive ?

Just with the lockdown going on would be handy.
i use infuse downstairs on the Apple TV but would be handy to have something similar on Xbox in bedroom

Is there a media player for the Xbox that will read and play video files played on a nas drive ?

i use infuse downstairs on the Apple TV but would be handy to have something similar on Xbox in bedroom

Kodi

Kodi, Plex, Media Player

I'm starting to wonder if there is something up with my Xbox at the moment, as I swear every time I turn it on these days there is an update to download.

Has there been a load of updates recently please?

So is there any of you that have decided to skip on getting the Series X or is the temptation to upgrade too strong...?

Wont be getting one at launch every launch console i have ever owned has gone wrong yet all the slims I have brought still work fine. so will wait for a second version in a couple of years

Anyone want 3 months of Spotify premium for new accounts?!?

Got it as a perk with Games Pass Ultimate and no need for it.

Anyone want 3 months of Spotify premium for new accounts?!?

Got it as a perk with Games Pass Ultimate and no need for it.
Yes please

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom