The Xbox One General Chat thread

I need to setup accounts for my kids. Is there a limit to how many accounts can access online with gold on my account? Cuz I seemingly have 30 kids at times. But ideally I'll have one for my wife and 4 kids (when the youngest eventually gets old enough to do something other than jump with her characters) so a total of six.
Anyone know if there is a limit?

Cuz I'll be making at least 5 new ones if there isnt a limit. I vaguely remember hearing something like 10 but I want to be sure and to leave myself a good buffer of gamertags for the future if I want a mess around account or two.

The annoying thing about home gold is that it is console only and doesn't extend to the 360. My Son has a 360 so I have to buy two accounts. With the PS I just set him up a sub account. It would be good if I could just buy am MS account, add the family as sub accounts and they get the use of whichever console they log onto.

Ah well, hopefully when Minecraft comes on the One he and his mates will migrate to the XBONE and save me some coin (although to be honest it's only £25-£30 a year so it's not that bad I guess).

Give him the Live account and then he can use 360 and X1 and you all can be sub accounts on the X1. Done.

Slightly different subject, was talking to a friend of mine who likes games in general but doesn't follow them whatsoever. I mentioned I picked up an xbox one and he asked 'oh is that the one where you can't buy used'.

Aside from the arguably poor mainstream communication about that u turn it got me thinking- what would have happened if ms has stuck to their guns? Who would have still got one? Would dd sales be more common place or not due to lack of competition?

I think I would have as I like the system, but certainly not launch

Slightly different subject, was talking to a friend of mine who likes games in general but doesn't follow them whatsoever. I mentioned I picked up an xbox one and he asked 'oh is that the one where you can't buy used'.

Aside from the arguably poor mainstream communication about that u turn it got me thinking- what would have happened if ms has stuck to their guns? Who would have still got one? Would dd sales be more common place or not due to lack of competition?

I would still have had one. I was all up for the DRM stuff. I like the future MS wanted

Agreed, in a weird way I think ms are ahead of the times. The digital rights/ownership furore is coming (eg Bruce Willis' thing - what happens to my iTunes when I die), and ms were trying to define it. Whether that would have murdered their sales I don't know

I would've been less tempted to go PS4 if MS had kept their original policies for the XB1. As it stands, there's less choice in the market with their reversal and while I still went XB1, I can't help but feel if MS had been more bullish and been more competitive with digital (as in cutting prices and enabled preloads) Sony would've lost much ground in the post launch landscape.

I'm still holding out hope that we will see the switch to digital sooner rather than later, but we've got some time to wait yet.

I loved the idea of DD in its entirety and had no probs with not being able to trade/sell games as I never bother, my loft is a shrine to all things retro gaming.
The cost of DD is prohibitive for me, and i dare say a lot of others, if I can buy the disk version of a game cheaper than a download then it's a no brainer which version I'm going to get.
I've paid £42 for titanfall on disk and I dare say it's going to be £55 on DD from the store, MS need to be a bit more aggressive with their pricing structure for DD to take off properly jmo.

The digital pricing is a bad joke when you look at the retail prices for the physical box and disc. I was going to buy The Lego Movie game as a download but got it £10 cheaper and that came with a freebie lego figure and some DLC as well. The PSN prices are just as bad though. If the game costs for digital are high when there is competition from the retailers selling physical copies then I can see no reason for them getting reduced if that option is ever removed.

Microsofts digital world still would have had disc based games sold in shops. The competition was still there.

It is just that once installed the discs were not needed anymore and access to the game was secured though the 24 hour online check.

There were several advantages.

The only disadvantages were needing an internet connection once every day to play and an inability to sell physical disc based games second hand. Though MS did talk about digital second hand sales being a possibility.

The internet check in thing was completely blown out of proportion too. No point buying either next gen console if you aren't having it hooked up to broadband. No point at all both Sony and MS have in effect introduced mandatory online connection by stealth.

DD only would have killed the console for me and i would be a PS4 user now.

I have no desire to hold on to most of my game purchases and trade ins and selling help bring the cost of my next game/headset ect down.

Also as mentioned above, even with competition from retailers the live market place is still overly expensive, with DD only we would be forced to pay whatever price they decide.

The internet check in thing was completely blown out of proportion too. No point buying either next gen console if you aren't having it hooked up to broadband. No point at all both Sony and MS have in effect introduced mandatory online connection by stealth.
Was a pain to lose your console when moving home or if times get tough and internet becomes a luxury

I think you guys are being very optimistic about the ditched concept xb1. The reason they ditched it was because there were so many perceived negatives with their system and if they were able to counter with positives and fully outline WHY they were positive then people would have accepted it. As such they didnt either try to counter the perceived negatives or they just couldn't because they were negative. Instead they reversed everything inside a week. That to me screams there was a lot we didnt know and a lot was still undefined.

If taken at face value then things like family share would have been great. But as such they did not explain the inner workings of it so people were still left in the dark and left to speculate and a lot of the speculation was negative.

There is no evidence to suggest the MS digital marketplace would have been competitive. If anything the disc based digital content would have been the same pricing as retail is now... you search for the best deal and if you want to pay for the convenience then you buy it full price on the MS store.

Your optimism is great but it was changed because there was more negative for the masses than positive.

Personally though I wish they would have stuck to their guns and detailed out everything so there was no ambiguity. I'd have loved to see where they could have taken console gaming.

Give him the Live account and then he can use 360 and X1 and you all can be sub accounts on the X1. Done.
It's linked to my gamer tag though and he's not having that as he'd spend all of his time spamming AVF folk lol. It would have been better in hindsight to register the live against his gamer tag though and then have him as the main account on the XB1 instead.

I would still have had one. I was all up for the DRM stuff. I like the future MS wanted
To be honest I liked the idea as well, but could see how it would have been commercial suicide as a lot of folk take longer to adapt to change.

As it happens I buy most of my games digitally now and can only see that growing. Buying disc games is becoming quite rare for me now. The convenience of digital is worth paying a little bit more for and outweighs any of the downsides IMO.

I've bought most my games digitally. I just wish there was a preload option. With the 20-30% discount on the credit then its not really much, if any, more expensive than physical software.

I believe that MS changed tack so quickly because they were taken completely by surprise when Sony announced they weren't going to be doing something very similar. MS knew straight away that sticking to their guns would have alienated many potential customers and had little choice but to make the reversal that they did. I know a few people that wish they had stuck to their plan, to at least test the water with it.

I do appreciate the convenience aspect of digital games, but as there's no distribution costs, retailer profit margins, physical media, case and printing costs the prices should be lower than retail not 10-25% (or more in some ridiculous cases) above it. And that's considering retail costs at release, not after a few weeks when the price has dropped. I don't know how much MS or Sony charge, if anything, for making games available through their respective stores but doubt it's sufficiently high to account for the difference.

To be honest I liked the idea as well, but could see how it would have been commercial suicide as a lot of folk take longer to adapt to change.

As it happens I buy most of my games digitally now and can only see that growing. Buying disc games is becoming quite rare for me now. The convenience of digital is worth paying a little bit more for and outweighs any of the downsides IMO.
Maybe if we all posted on the Xbox Preview forums to bring some of it back they might do it

I believe that MS changed tack so quickly because they were taken completely by surprise when Sony announced they weren't going to be doing something very similar. MS knew straight away that sticking to their guns would have alienated many potential customers and had little choice but to make the reversal that they did. I know a few people that wish they had stuck to their plan, to at least test the water with it.

I do appreciate the convenience aspect of digital games, but as there's no distribution costs, retailer profit margins, physical media, case and printing costs the prices should be lower than retail not 10-25% (or more in some ridiculous cases) above it. And that's considering retail costs at release, not after a few weeks when the price has dropped. I don't know how much MS or Sony charge, if anything, for making games available through their respective stores but doubt it's sufficiently high to account for the difference.
Yes but then retailers wouldn't stock their games or support the console at all. So it's very much a lose lose if they start undercutting retail. Even tho I wish they would.

I'm not so sure. I think it's more a case of MS and Sony both knowing their stores charge about the same for the digital games and just keep the prices high because they know that they can and enough people are happy to pay for the privilege. If one of them dropped the prices by 10-20% or to retail level then the other would follow suit. Retailers would still have games to sell as a lot of people refuse to go digital for their purchases, they like owning the box and having something tangible to hold for their money as well as something to trade in later on so there'd be enough of a market.

I've bought most my games digitally. I just wish there was a preload option. With the 20-30% discount on the credit then its not really much, if any, more expensive than physical software.

I know I keep banging on about this but your point is only correct if you discount the resale value of physical media.

Most people I know don't squirrel games away when they're done with them. I certainly don't - if I'm not likely to play it again, what's the point of leaving it on a shelf? I accept that may not be true for others, of course.

The fact remains though that it is a big factor in persuading people to accept DD. Where a disc is cheaper than download AND retains (say) 50% of the purchase price, it is a hell of a lot cheaper.

The only selling points that DD then have are immediacy of access and not needing a disc to be able to play. Neither of those is an issue for me - and certainly wouldn't justify the considerable premium that DD currently attracts.

Each to their own but I just don't see a tangible case for DD on consoles in its current guise. I'm quite open to persuasion though if MS was to (radically) rethink DD pricing...

I know I keep banging on about this but your point is only correct if you discount the resale value of physical media.

Most people I know don't squirrel games away when they're done with them. I certainly don't - if I'm not likely to play it again, what's the point of leaving it on a shelf? I accept that may not be true for others, of course.

The fact remains though that it is a big factor in persuading people to accept DD. Where a disc is cheaper than download AND retains (say) 50% of the purchase price, it is a hell of a lot cheaper.

The only selling points that DD then have are immediacy of access and not needing a disc to be able to play. Neither of those is an issue for me - and certainly wouldn't justify the considerable premium that DD currently attracts.

Each to their own but I just don't see a tangible case for DD on consoles in its current guise. I'm quite open to persuasion though if MS was to (radically) rethink DD pricing...

That is not true though. Family sharing and getting to play retail games or portions of retail games for free in some form or another is a massive advantage that would have been there.

MS were talking about some sort of digital trading/second hand market and although that undoubtedly would have been less advantageous than the second hand disc market it wouldn't necessarily have meant at least trading/swapping games was impossible.

I think that it is also important to remember than the MS vision wasn't "download only". You still would have had all the traditional outlets selling the discs at whatever prices they chose to.

Sorry, iwb - I have muddied the waters and the basis of discussion. I'm talking about things as they are, not how MS originally envisaged them before rowing back.

I accept that the original model was more nuanced.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom