Thinking of a ported sub

jonjames

Established Member
Reaction score
Have been looking into ported vs sealed and as I use my sub only for movies and tv, I am thinking of getting a ported one that can get down to 20hz maybe less. My current sub rolls off at 30hz.

I think I am set on SVS, I think the 2000 is a bit big really so am tempted with the 1000. Main question is, compared to my BK p12-300sb DF, will I be loosing any performance if I did this? 12" vs 10". Amp power is the same. I am not necessarily looking for a higher output, I would like lower frequencies and if possible a higher quality sound/bass.

My room is 5.8m by 3.8m. My BK fills this with ease, gain dial set at 10am returns -5db on my avr.

What do you think?

Last edited:
If you want ported SVS then what about PC2000 "hidden" in corner! :) It won´t take much floorspace. AVO had black manufacturer refurb. PC2000 for 599£ week ago. You could ask will they get them more as the condition is good what members have reported plus full warranty.

2000 serie is well worth the extra cost if you can accept the larger box or cylinder! If you buy the PB1000 you are always going to be thinking the upgrade to 2000 model as the price difference is so small. But jumping to PB3000 from 600-800£ to 1500£ is quite dramatic! As you can imagine 2000 serie is clearly the sweet spot price/performance wise which should keep you happy long time.

BK Monolith (485£) is still best bang for buck option if cylinder is out. Notice the different dimensions regarding FF/DF cab below. SVS has deeper tuning and more overall output in whole working range. Also very low distortion figures especially at 20-25hz. Of course you also get class-d amp with DSP and longer 5year amp warranty to 2years of BK.

Monolith FF: 540mm X 420mm x 560mm HxWxD
Monolith DF: 604mm x 540mm x 420mm HxWxD
PB2000: 530mm x 440mm x 640mm HxWxD

Thanks for the reply. That’s my only concern. I need someone who has had both. I just don’t want to find it doesn’t perform at least as well as my current bk.

The svs pc2000 is a possible, trying to picture how it would look.

I don’t mind the cost, I would even consider the sb2000 pro. Even though it’s sealed it has the same frequency response as the the pb1000. I just don’t know whether a ported will be better for me. I generally listen to films around -28db if the little one is in bed, or between -15db and -20db if I’m in my own.

My other thoughts with svs is they are capable of going up to to about 240hz if needed. I may get CA minx again at some point.

Clearly if you want to put emphasize at the 18-36hz octave then larger ported sub will be felt more there.

You need atleast two SB2000 to get close to one PB1000 at 20hz and three SB2000s to match one PB/PC2000 at 20hz. With ported design you also get some extra rumble and impact which adds to the experience.

If you have space for one only subwoofer then the PC/PB2000 if good deal comes up or XTZ 12.17 Edge with compact sized cab. Sadly both black versions are sold out cause the price is very low atm, white finish is available.

Almost forgot the new Arendal 1961 1V would be similar to PB2000 with better looks for modern lounge! ~890£ shipped. Can also be ran as sealed. 55.7H x 39.0W x 50.0D cm

There is something wrong with the 240hz crossover you got. Way too high!

You say you have a BK p12-300sb so that is effectively a ported sub as far as it will behave. With it being a passive radiator it will roll off in a similiar way to ported it just does it in a smaller box (oversimplification and normally after tune roll off is a little bit steeper). PR are more expensive but save a lot of space by not having to have the vented volume and port chuffing. Do you know what your BK p12-300sb rolls off at. BK site only says in room response to 20hz which implies it is higher without room gain. The svs 1000/2000 range only just make it below 20hz. You have to go up to the 4000 to get an option of 16hz rolloff.
I would hazard a guess that the position of your sub is a bigger issue than the sub you have. Have you been able to measure real responses or is this just a feeling it doesnt go low enough?

He has the cheaper sealed version of P12-DF, not the PR version. :) Not a first guy who complains about the deep stuff being on the weak side.

Few close mic measurements of P12-300SB (not PR) to get more idea of the natural response of the sub, less room.

c21b6d91-bcd6-4794-b3a2-8c1ee44685ef-jpeg.1155877

5f80cb88-5913-40de-a960-39e7023a3286-jpeg.1155876

Ahh ok I see, I just punched p12-300sb into google and it takes you straight to the PR. In that case then yes most of the usual ported offerings will give more output than the sealed BK between 20-30hz but you are going to have to double the volume of the sub. I would say though that your kit is pretty balanced at the moment with some sensible choices.

Re crossover, I cross at 80hz now and with ca minx 150hz. The reason I mentioned it was that above 100hz my sub drops off according to rew measurements I have done.

The Arendal maybe an option, still a tad bigger than I would like but all ported seem to bigger.

The other thing I could do is go dual pb-1000, not straight away as got to get the WAF 😆 Subwoofer 101 youtube channel speaks very highly of duals.

Re crossover, I cross at 80hz now and with ca minx 150hz. The reason I mentioned it was that above 100hz my sub drops off according to rew measurements I have done.

The Arendal maybe an option, still a tad bigger than I would like but all ported seem to bigger.

The other thing I could do is go dual pb-1000, not straight away as got to get the WAF 😆 Subwoofer 101 youtube channel speaks very highly of duals.

If you are considering PB1000 then rather get the XTZ 12.17 Edge and save up for second! It´s back on stock as matte black. It had better sound quality already with the older version to PB1000 in French comparison which is on XTZ site and this new amp has make it sound even better what members have reported. Also it looks better than PB1000! Same 5year amp warranty, uses the IcePower amp modules which are used example PSA. You get larger driver, nicer look with compact size and more powerfull amp (700w rms / 1045w peak) plus the ability to run ported/sealed and Parametric EQ.

Ok so the options are:

XTZ - I like this my only niggles are not UK based and just 2 years warranty on the amp, I would like more.

Arendal - Ticks all the boxes just not sure on the look of it.

SVS PC2000 - I don't think this will look right in my room, it's 3 foot tall.

BK Monolith+ - This is very big so not going to consider this.

SVS pb-1000 - This ticks all the boxes, it's just whether I am going to get at least the performance of what I have now with some added LFE under 30hz that I don't really get now. But also it's 10" not 12", but according to reviews this doesn't seem to be an issue.

Stick with what I have - I do find the BK very good and punches real hard depending on the film.

Also looking at Klipsch too see what they have.

Have attached a REW graph of my BK.

Attachments

• REW sub graph.jpg
    REW sub graph.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 43
Ok so the options are:

XTZ - I like this my only niggles are not UK based and just 2 years warranty on the amp, I would like more.

Arendal - Ticks all the boxes just not sure on the look of it.

SVS PC2000 - I don't think this will look right in my room, it's 3 foot tall.

BK Monolith+ - This is very big so not going to consider this.

SVS pb-1000 - This ticks all the boxes, it's just whether I am going to get at least the performance of what I have now with some added LFE under 30hz that I don't really get now. But also it's 10" not 12", but according to reviews this doesn't seem to be an issue.

Stick with what I have - I do find the BK very good and punches real hard depending on the film.

Also looking at Klipsch too see what they have.

Have attached a REW graph of my BK.

I wrote the XTZ Edge amp has 5year warranty if you missed that! The normal 500w version has 2years and you should only consider the Edge model! It`s more reliable, sounds better and performs better.

PB1000 would give you better low end no doubt, but it may sound bit "lacking" in the mid-bass range, atleast with one. Now here is where XTZ 12.17 Edge is better with great low end aswell. It was just in group test with many +1000£ costing woofers and was selected as best with SVS PB3000!

Here is good article about it:

My mistake with the warranty, I thought I read 2 years.

Ok, just need to try and decide now, will read more reviews about some of these subs. If/when I decide I'll update. Thanks again for your help :thumbsup:

The dip you have there is room related. Not the natural rolloff of a sealed sub. If you go to a 12 vented thats twice the size you may still only get a few db. Is the sub corner loaded and have you tried it in different available positions?

When taking measurements take multiple turning the gain right up. Comparing the same position at different outputs can tell you a lot about the current sub and also the room resposnse.

If still wanting to buy I'd consider the pr version of what you have now (if its just the low end response you are not happy with) This is the smallest you will find. If happy to go bigger I would go xtz at current price they are very good value with good flexibility. With ported mock up a cardboard cutout and make sure everyone is happy with the size. Properly designed for av use they are over double the size of sealed equivalents.

The sub is currently about 1 meter from the corner, I have tried moving it over and it didn't really make any difference from memory. So I am probably getting some corner loading I'm guessing.

My measurements have always been done at -25db. When I get some time on my own I will do some at higher volumes and see if it makes a difference.

I wish I could demo some new subs at home, anyone near Gloucester fancy lending me one?? 🤣

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom