Thinking of switching from Sealed to Ported

Room gain is the same for both designs, but as you’re room is very small, sealed is probably the better option as you may also get some useable ULF, and also more placement options!

Ironically, I've very few room constraints on position or size, so a large ported isn't an issue beyond aesthetics. I think larger sealed units or stacked might give me what I'm after.

3.4m Wide x 3.7m deep

That isn't big, a good single sealed box will be fine

Ye it’s a compromise. It’s being built from scratch, but getting 4 seats in was more important so I didn’t want to go much narrower. Two subs, being flexible with placement before EQ will hopefully resolve most of the issues.

The structure and layout of my room means the Subs need to go along the front wall. I guess I could move them to a couple of different locations but measurement results don’t suggest a huge improvement. So up front they are. The front left measures a dip across a certain frequency range while the front right measures a dip across a slightly different frequency range. When I combine those measurements, add in a little EQ, which are actually cuts and not boosts, I end up with a pretty decent result.

Just one Sub ‘may not’ be the ideal and shouldn’t be taken as so. Measurements are a massive help if you can do them.

The structure and layout of my room means the Subs need to go along the front wall. I guess I could move them to a couple of different locations but measurement results don’t suggest a huge improvement. So up front they are. The front left measures a dip across a certain frequency range while the front right measures a dip across a slightly different frequency range. When I combine those measurements, add in a little EQ, which are actually cuts and not boosts, I end up with a pretty decent result.

Just one Sub ‘may not’ be the ideal and shouldn’t be taken as so. Measurements are a massive help if you can do them.

You had the Sub 3s sloth ports open at some point. Do you remember how they sounded vs. sealed which you ended up prefer in your room? Were they boomy/muddy or what? Would be so intresting to hear your thoughts if you would get two PB3000/4000/16U for home demo. AVO offers that, but i think you need to buy something (at the end) or you lose some small amount of money paid upfront.

Would be so intresting to hear your thoughts if you would get two PB3000/4000/16U for home demo. AVO offers that, but i think you need to buy something (at the end) or you lose some small amount of money paid upfront.

That‘s something I could certainly do if someone would kindly send them to me.

Could you also compared octo jtr 4000 captivator ulf versus one Yamaha ystfsw050

That‘s something I could certainly do if someone would kindly send them to me.

I got the feeling that you know Dan from themovierooms and maybe he can make it happen?

Or you will have to risk losing the "fee" using AVOs home trial, if not keeping the subs. They seem to have 1 each finish in stock so you would get those and then if keeping you can swap it.

I think the PB3000 would be a good little tester.

AVO has one open box 1395£ and new one 1550£. Put the order in for both! :D Clearly you have to get two to get the full experience!

nULHsBr.jpg

I just switched from Arendal Sub2 to a Sub1V for similar reasons... I’ve always had sealed subs, but that was due to me having satellite speakers and needing the sub for music. Now I have decent floorstanders I no longer wanted a sub with music...

I certainly don’t miss anything. It definitely goes lower and for my specific use case has more output than the Sub2 until the upper part of the frequency that I have it set to. I have no port noise. It is definitely not as accurate but for me the trade of is totally worth it.

Your system is very different to mine though, so mileage may vary! I was advised that running it sealed would retain the accuracy but have a little more depth... so I figured I had very little to lose.

Interesting. What do you mean by this bit ?
I have a single sub, non optimally placed in a hybrid stereo/AV system.

From memory you have a few subs, placed better in a dedicated room?

I have a single sub, non optimally placed in a hybrid stereo/AV system.

From memory you have a few subs, placed better in a dedicated room?

Ah, got ya.

I've got two Subs up front which as it happens, it isn't a bad spot for them.

Maybe try the Monoprice 15" which only recently became available in EU. They've been available in the US for a couple of years where they get positive reviews and seem to deliver a lot of value for money. Specs are lower down the page, and there's a thread on AVS about them if you're looking for feedback from owners. The negative that keeps returning seems to be the way they handle support. But that's in the US so no idea how that translates to EU support.
They also have free shipping and free return, so can't hurt to try.

Last edited:
That’s an interesting option, not sure there’s a 240v version yet though. And I would need to read a bit more on the specs etc. The 15” driver does appeal though.

Given you have the SB3000 at the moment, the PB3000 would be the most obvious straight comparison. Be interesting To see what you gained or lost by the change.

Given you have the SB3000 at the moment, the PB3000 would be the most obvious straight comparison. Be interesting To see what you gained or lost by the change.

Absolutely. They have the same driver in different cabinets so would be a definite comparison.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom