Thinking of switching from Sealed to Ported

Maybe try the Monoprice 15" which only recently became available in EU. They've been available in the US for a couple of years where they get positive reviews and seem to deliver a lot of value for money. Specs are lower down the page, and there's a thread on AVS about them if you're looking for feedback from owners. The negative that keeps returning seems to be the way they handle support. But that's in the US so no idea how that translates to EU support.
They also have free shipping and free return, so can't hurt to try.

Wow amazing price! :eek: 1085£. Youthman ran compression test against he`s PB16U in same spot and this wasn´t down that much although PB4000 would be more similar. Where PB16U starts to drop around 16hz this sub kept going down to 10hz, so for ultra deep stuff this is beating 3k£ SVS! I have also read people at AVSF have compared this sub to SVS and few others and they love how these sound (accurate & dry mentioned). There is some good people behind the brand, noticed Tom V also praising these. Full review & measurements on Audioholics:

This is putting massive pressure to Arendal, SVS, PSA and many more! Comparing the output data of Monolith 15 THX it outperforms new Arendal 2V from 12,5hz to 40hz, 50-125hz Arendal has ~1-2,7db edge.

How it´s possible to sell this THX Ultra rated product so cheap 1192,60€ vs. 2500€ for Arendal? I mean two of these would be able to fill large space easily hence the Audioholics Extreme room rating! Build quality seems superb using same HDF in the cabinet as Arendal, high output/extension, low distortion, 5year amp warranty etc..

Wow amazing price! :eek: 1085£. Youthman ran compression test against he`s PB16U in same spot and this wasn´t down that much although PB4000 would be more similar. Where PB16U starts to drop around 16hz this sub kept going down to 10hz, so for ultra deep stuff this is beating 3k£ SVS! I have also read people at AVSF have compared this sub to SVS and few others and they love how these sound (accurate & dry mentioned). There is some good people behind the brand, noticed Tom V also praising these. Full review & measurements on Audioholics:

This is putting massive pressure to Arendal, SVS, PSA and many more! Comparing the output data of Monolith 15 THX it outperforms new Arendal 2V from 12,5hz to 40hz, 50-125hz Arendal has ~1-2,7db edge.

How it´s possible to sell this THX Ultra rated product so cheap 1192,60€ vs. 2500€ for Arendal? I mean two of these would be able to fill large space easily hence the Audioholics Extreme room rating! Build quality seems superb using same HDF in the cabinet as Arendal, high output/extension, low distortion, 5year amp warranty etc..

No pressure from me... they're bloody ugly big black boxes! Same reason PSA aren't on my radar... some of us need things that look ok in a room!

Other things that pop into my head (no longer an issue for me). For music playback SVS are a bit mono-syllabic plodders, not very musical at all - which I appreciate is a subjective term. Having owned a number of SVS subs over the years, I'd never go back.

For music playback SVS are a bit mono-syllabic plodders, not very musical at all - which I appreciate is a subjective term. Having owned a number of SVS subs over the years, I'd never go back.

Ported or sealed svs bad for music?

No pressure from me... they're bloody ugly big black boxes! Same reason PSA aren't on my radar... some of us need things that look ok in a room!

Other things that pop into my head (no longer an issue for me). For music playback SVS are a bit mono-syllabic plodders, not very musical at all - which I appreciate is a subjective term. Having owned a number of SVS subs over the years, I'd never go back.

True. :) The 1V you have seems to tick many boxes for typical lounge which i assume you have, not blackened man cave. Good looking and not too massive either.

Competition is always healthy though, more options for customers the better.

Example the Monolith THX 12 seems amazing value when you compare it to SVS PB2000 Pro! 643£ vs. 999£. 🥳

These do look good for the money and if they're anything like their THX speakers should be winners. I reckon they deserve their own thread so will start one. :smashin:

I recall seeing these last year when they were introduced thinking wow just amazing price to performance ratio, if only they sold them here in the UK. But now we have access to them, I've got other priorities. :(

At 58kg each these are beasts! A pair of them would cause serious damage.:cool:

Size and looks are a factor I think. Compared to other 15" subs they are very big, and the looks aren't for everyone.
They also have a 13" and 16" model on the way, which will have a nicer looking paint finish compared to the current vinyl. No target date afaik, and chances are it'll take a while before they become available in the EU after the US release.

Edit: If I wasn't moving to a new place next week I would've already ordered a pair to try out, but my girlfriend didn't even let me finish and give me a very firm no when I asked her "Hypothetically speaking, let's say I order 2 new su--....." NO!
She wants to get settled in first and then see how much space we have, what's possible and where.. :p

Last edited:

Shipped from Europe I believe.

Shipped from Europe I believe.

Wonder if we will see the Monolith Monoprice HTP-1 16-channel AV Processor available on the site soon?

Ported all day everyday. A properly designed ported sub will be just as good as a sealed sub for music

Wonder if we will see the Monolith Monoprice HTP-1 16-channel AV Processor available on the site soon?

Don't know much about it I'm afraid, do hope they all filter over to Europe at some point as we are in need of a little shakeup in terms of competition.

Love how they've done away with most of the legacy connections at the back and XLR (balanced?) all the way! :smashin:

Will need to read up on this little beauty.

I asked them about amps etc a little while back and while they were thinking about bringing them over here, it wasn’t anywhere near the top of their agenda at the time.

Last edited:
Ported or sealed svs bad for music?
In my personal opinion, both. However, if music is important, a sealed sub is your best bet by far - the timing of ported subs is not good enough. There are much better options though.... look for something with a high level input such as an REL, BKElec or the new Kef KF92 subs.

In my personal opinion, both. However, if music is important, a sealed sub is your best bet by far - the timing of ported subs is not good enough. There are much better options though.... look for something with a high level input such as an REL, BKElec or the new Kef KF92 subs.
Why are some of the most expensive hi fi speakers used for audiophile music listening ported then?

It's a myth
I wouldn’t say myth, as there is some truth to it, more a generalisation and dependant on the driver used. Some drivers are more suited to sealed and some more suited to ported enclosures. When designing each one there’s a lot more that can go wrong with ported subs, and more likely that they will sound bad. Sealed subs are pretty much fool-proof when it comes to design, and are very forgiving of T/S parameters, unlike ported subs. While some people will argue the musicality of sealed subs is better, I think what they are really hearing is a lack of low end, which is perceived as a tighter sounding sub, as lower bass does sound slower. Group delay is another one that people will argue over, but there are no actual figures to use to state when this becomes a problem at sub frequencies, the general advice is under 1 cycle for the passband, which all decent subs should achieve with no issues.

What has having had high level for to do with it?

What has having had high level for to do with it?

Probably referring to a form of "pure direct" method of connection using speaker/high level connection, generally used with stereo "hifi" amplifiers that do not have a dedicated lfe out. Of course one could argue this method of integrating sub/sats has more drawbacks due to lack of advanced bass management and EQ. Like everything else there are compromises but it could be made to work under some circumstances.

Just use left/right pre out from the stereo pre amp

Yes that's another option.

In systems that are setup with different amplifiers e.g. AVR for surround, Stereo Integrated for stereo, the LFE sub input is already taken up by the AVR so the option of having high level input offers greater flexibility.

I don't like sending two signals to the sub, unless the other one can be muted. ie I run as SVS SB13 Ultra and SVS SB12+ in a home cinema, Lexicon MC-8 to antimode, then into the 12" then out from that into the 13". First I reduced volume on the 12" to minimum, then calibrated the 13" to 73db. Then switched of the 13". Then increased volume on the 12" to 73db. Then switched on the 13". Then ran antimode, then adjusted master channel level to 75dB. So only audio the subs receive is LFE and subwoofer info from the bass management channels.

I run stereo pre system, but I don't have high level or second low level going to the subs, speakers are set to full range to due analogue pre system, no subwoofer. In effect the two systems are seperate.

Even if I could send bass from the pre, then I wouldn't want the two signals summed, ie

input 1 - full range signal from stereo pre (so need to enable crossovers in subs)
input 2 - filtered signal from lexicon mc-8 (so would need to disable crossover in subs)

Even of the crossovers can easily be enabled/disabled for stereo use, the sub will receive another signal summed up

Indeed, which is why they say a system is the sum of all its compromises. People will pick and choose what works for them.

Why are some of the most expensive hi fi speakers used for audiophile music listening ported then?

Compromise. Mostly.

You'd need a pretty big cabinet (and all the issues that brings) to get the bass depth people want.

I've nothing against ported subs (i own one!) But I wouldn't use them for music as they're not dynamic enough, they're noisier and the ports are usually tuned to specific frequencies that are outside of typical music.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom