Third Dimension - The AVForums 20 Best Blu-rays for 3D & Other 3D Disc Chat.

I've only just bought the ZD9 recently used so have only looked briefly at the 3D, once I turned off motionflow it looked half decent and much better than reports I had read. Obviously not as good as 3D on a projector though.
I have heard that 3D on TV is way more better than on a projector/ theater.

I'm not a fan of the cinema/theatre, 3D I've no doubt is excellent on something like an LG E6, even on a Samsung plasma I had it was great. But for me sitting at home 10.5 feet away from a 106" screen is where 3D is at !.

For me it is, I was turned off 3D from my cinema experiences and made a few anti 3D post here till I got a TV with 3D then my opinion flipped 180 and this is on a QLED not a OLED which I believe even better and would buy a OLED set the next time if they made one that had 3D. You think with the way tech improves and becomes cheaper that at least each manufacturer include 3D in one series of their TVs.

For me 3D is far more immersive on my 106" projector screen than my 55" TV. Size does matter!
My only experience of 3D at the cinema was Superman Returns at the IMAX in London, only a few scenes were in 3D but they looked amazing. Plenty of depth and in your face pop out. Would be good if those scenes could be included as extras but after all these years I don't see that happening.

For me 3D is far more immersive on my 106" projector screen than my 55" TV. Size does matter!
My only experience of 3D at the cinema was Superman Returns at the IMAX in London, only a few scenes were in 3D but they looked amazing. Plenty of depth and in your face pop out. Would be good if those scenes could be included as extras but after all these years I don't see that happening.
The last 3D movie I watched in theater was Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation and it was a very bad experience due to lack of brightness. But then I re-watched it on my E6 and it was super fine. Do all home cinema 3D projectors use active shutter glasses? If it is so I don't think it can be better than oled 3D.

I'm not a fan of the cinema/theatre, 3D I've no doubt is excellent on something like an LG E6, even on a Samsung plasma I had it was great. But for me sitting at home 10.5 feet away from a 106" screen is where 3D is at !.
Since you own both JVC DLA-X7900 3D Projector and Sony KD-65ZD9 3D TV. What according to you has better 3D handling? 3D on TV or on a projector?

Last 3D TV I had was a 4k 50" LG which did passive 3D and it was superb, but then I changed to a 75" Sony that sadly doesn't do 3D. Now I'm forced to use my Epson projector onto an 86" screen with its active 3D and it's pretty damn good, but I think the TV had a slightly cleaner picture with less flicker (though your brain filters out the flicker after a couple of minutes, which is handy).

Oh, and I watched the House Of Magic in 3D yesterday, and yes it does have terrific 3D, lots of pop out and camera swooping about like a big dipper. Great stuff!

Since you own both JVC DLA-X7900 3D Projector and Sony KD-65ZD9 3D TV. What according to you has better 3D handling? 3D on TV or on a projector?
The 3D on the Sony TV better than I expected it to be compared to the W905.
3D motion is better on the Sony but in very very bright scenes there is some flicker.
3D Motion isn't as good on the JVC but basically the whole experience is far better. Just much more immersive.

And yes all projectors I know of for the home are Active 3D including DLP link.

The last 3D movie I watched in theater was Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation and it was a very bad experience due to lack of brightness. But then I re-watched it on my E6 and it was super fine. Do all home cinema 3D projectors use active shutter glasses? If it is so I don't think it can be better than oled 3D.
May I ask where you found Hotel Transylvania 3 from in 3D ?.

Where did you get a copy of HT3 in 3D. I didn’t think it was released anywhere in 3D

The discussion about cinema 3D and home 3D is really interesting. Whilst I've had mixed experiences at the cinema with 3D I've never regretted any 3D purchase I've watched on my LG C6 TV.

An example is The Force Awakens which underwhelmed me at the cinema but impressed on TV.

Likewise I was thoroughly disappointed with Avengers Endgame 3D at the cinema but I've just ordered the bluray today (Marvel doing 2 for £18 offer again!) so hoping this is much better at home - I'll let you know! ;-)

I do think that a 3D projector will be my next move though, so thanks to the people posting comments who do have such systems. I will miss passive 3D should it come to that but do believe that the industry will return to 3D TV which ideally will be a 'glasses free'version!! :)

I think all home projectors are active shutter, yes. That said, 3D on a DLP with active shutter is basically flawless, with zero crosstalk between left and right.

I have still 5 have devices that can display 3D Blu-ray. In order of 3D quality:

1. BenQ DLP projector - bright, crisp 3D, no crosstalk, and huge image. This is better 3D than any cinema I have seen apart from IMAX.

2. Blaupunkt passive LCD, was a cheap supermarket set, 7 or 8 years old, but I still use it for gaming. I believe it has an LG panel. No crosstalk, very bright image, but visible horizontal lines and reduced vertical resolution. (I believe the 4K passive sets overcome this.) The 3D effect is really strong though, and the passive glasses are cheap, light and comfortable (it works with glasses from the cinema)

3. PSVR headset - great 3D effect as left/right crosstalk is impossible given one display per eye. OLED display has great contrast and colours, and it gives a convincing impression of a huge cinema-size screen. However, resolution is a bit low, less than 1080P per eye, so image is a bit soft, and wearing the headset for a whole movie is not very relaxing.

4. Samsung C7000 plasma. 10 years old, but still going strong although relegated to the bedroom TV now. This was one of the first generation 3D sets, I had it for nearly a year before there were even any 3D discs to watch on it. 3D is pretty good, watchable and detailed with full 1080p image for each eye, but too much crosstalk. The first gen glasses use IR signal, and always tended to lose sync easily (It was much improved in later sets with RF sync, apparently). Although I still have some compatible glasses, it’s a long time since I watched 3D on it, as once you go projector, there is no going back!

5. Panasonic DX750 4K LED-LCD. One of the last available 3D compatible TVs, a 2016 model, but I got it early 2017 when it became clear 3D was pretty much finished as a TV feature. (I think the following year‘s EX series were the last 3D TVs released, that I know of anyway). Bluetooth sync active 3D, very dim screen in 3D, and too much crosstalk. It works, but really loses a lot of the impact of 3D. Even a cheap DLP projector will be much better, but at least I can watch my 3Ds if the older devices die on me.

I mean wow!!!! 3D presentation of king arthur legend of the sword (2017) is just so damn good. One of my most favorites 3D movie.
I think its safe to say that 3D on E6 is better than any other TV or projector available in market. It can even do 3D better than any of the high end VR sets that are having oled screens. Is it really so, VR sets lower down the resolution?

I’m a lover of 3D but my tv is on its last legs I think, where only 2 of the 3 HDMI inputs work.

As much as I look forward to getting a new 4K tv I will miss 3D personally.

mine alternative I was thinking of was to also invest in a PSVR headset for my PS4. Has anyone on here played 3D films on it. I assume as it’s 2 separate screens you wouldn’t get any crosstalk or ghosting?

The discussion about cinema 3D and home 3D is really interesting. Whilst I've had mixed experiences at the cinema with 3D I've never regretted any 3D purchase I've watched on my LG C6 TV.

An example is The Force Awakens which underwhelmed me at the cinema but impressed on TV.

Likewise I was thoroughly disappointed with Avengers Endgame 3D at the cinema but I've just ordered the bluray today (Marvel doing 2 for £18 offer again!) so hoping this is much better at home - I'll let you know! ;-)

I do think that a 3D projector will be my next move though, so thanks to the people posting comments who do have such systems. I will miss passive 3D should it come to that but do believe that the industry will return to 3D TV which ideally will be a 'glasses free'version!! :)
My first watch of The Force Awakens was on 2D blu ray and I wasn't that impressed, I later purchased the 3D blu ray and it was so much more enjoyable.
I upgraded my projector over the Christmas period from the Benq W1070 to the Benq W2700. Knowing that I was going to be getting a new projector when I pre-ordered Rise of Skywalker I opted for the UHD version. Really thinking I should have ordered the 3D especially after watching both Guardians of the Galaxy movies in 3D at the weekend. They looked fantastic.

My first watch of The Force Awakens was on 2D blu ray and I wasn't that impressed, I later purchased the 3D blu ray and it was so much more enjoyable.
I upgraded my projector over the Christmas period from the Benq W1070 to the Benq W2700. Knowing that I was going to be getting a new projector when I pre-ordered Rise of Skywalker I opted for the UHD version. Really thinking I should have ordered the 3D especially after watching both Guardians of the Galaxy movies in 3D at the weekend. They looked fantastic.
Order the 3D version too!! Lol, im going for both.

Order the 3D version too!! Lol, im going for both.

With 3D releases seemingly on the decline, I think the film companies should include a 3D version as a simple bonus disc with their 4K releases. At least that way we could still get 3D if we want it (and with the right television, 3D actually looks far better than 4K) without them having to go to the bother of marketing a separate release. The work in creating the disc master ought to be fairly minimal given that theatrical releases are all digital now.

Andre

With 3D releases seemingly on the decline, I think the film companies should include a 3D version as a simple bonus disc with their 4K releases. At least that way we could still get 3D if we want it (and with the right television, 3D actually looks far better than 4K) without them having to go to the bother of marketing a separate release. The work in creating the disc master ought to be fairly minimal given that theatrical releases are all digital now.

Andre
For a while HMV did include the 3D with their UHD steelbook releases, I have Spider-man Homecoming and War for the Planet of the Apes. Cost the same at the time as any other UHD steelbook, I wish they had continued doing that.

Andre
4K not doing that well so combining the two could be more viable as you do not have to create two lots of products(as in separate 3D and 4K stock) or carry 2 different sets of stock. And think the pressing and cost of disc minimal although a bigger cost over a run but makes the end product sales worth and can increase the sales.

For a while HMV did include the 3D with their UHD steelbook releases, I have Spider-man Homecoming and War for the Planet of the Apes. Cost the same at the time as any other UHD steelbook, I wish they had continued doing that.
I got Aquaman from FNAC with 3D, 4K and even a music disc little more than the Spider-Man Far From Home.
I seen other combies 4k and 3D steels on Zavvi going the same price as what they sell 4K steels e.g. Alita Battle Angel.

Typically 4k releases are more expensive than 3D releases however

Typically 4k releases are more expensive than 3D releases however

I'd take a more expensive dual-release over none at all though. And you never know, I might even find a 4K version that looks better on my TV than a good 3D one does (I have a 4K OLED, with gorgeous passive 3D) so it'd be in their best interests to try to convert me.

Andre

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom