Third Dimension - The AVForums 20 Best Blu-rays for 3D & Other 3D Disc Chat.

A super list I think. There's only a few extras I'd give a mention, the bottom line with 3D being that the bad outweighed the good unfortunately. Anyway, some of my additional personal favourites:

Drive Angry
Much like WS Anderson, Lussier knows how to use 3D, but the films themself are a little...lacking.

Tron Legacy
A bit of a mixed bag, as it's quite a dark film overall so hasn't got as punchy an image as other films listed. Some excellent scenes but more often than not the amount of depth in the image is lost on the audience (CLU's speech to the army, that sort of thing).

Top Gun
As conversions go, of grainy, cheesy 80's excess - the dogfight scenes are worth a watch at the very least.

Jurassic Park
Some average bits, some outstanding bits. An entirely different way of watching the film, which works in places.

The Lego Movie
Technically doesn't count as it's not available in the UK, but will probably be remembered as one of the best 3D films, and a cracking film full stop. I'm Batman.

Resident Evil Retribution
Similar to Afterlife, some fantastic use of 3D, but an incoherent, messy, horrendously scripted, terribly acted and generally awful excuse for a feature film. Did I mention incoherent?

Sanctum

This one often gets slated, but I thought the use of 3D was excellent, especially given the subject matter - it enhanced the claustraphobic nature of cave diving.

I'm sure I've missed a few...

What no love for Transformers: Dark of the moon

I hate 3D...but not for the same reason all the other moaning old goats hate it! I've had a 3D Panny Plasma since the get go, and me and the Mrs love it. The reason I hate 3d, is that I no longer find watching normal films as immersive. 3D is all about depth. Admit-ably, you need some good kit and a big screen to make it work properly! Anyway, irrelevant rant over! Just a couple I'd like to add to the list...Prometheus (awesome) but the animated Legends of the Guardians. Not just for the film itself, but they have a good old fashioned cartoon of Road Runner and Coyote in the extras which has got to be the best 3D experience out there. I convert all haters with this little gem!

Titanic's not bad either, for a conversion.

I've mentioned it before on a few threads, but The Great Gatsby looks stunning in 3D. Pacific Rim is still my favourite for 3D (even with the misalignment in the encoding).

I've recently acquired and watched the first 20 minutes of Avatar and in all honesty I was shocked at how poor it's aged by today's 3D standards: cartoony ultra-sharp CGI mixed with not-so-sharp live action, uneven distracting reflections, etc. I'll probably be flamed for being a heretic, but Avatar is not what I'd call demo-worthy.

I don't think anyone's mentioned my stand-out number one here: How to Train Your Dragon.

I'd put it on a par with others I own including Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs and Brave. Another mention for Tron Legacy, too.

I don't think anyone's mentioned my stand-out number one here: How to Train Your Dragon.
How did I forget that one? It's the reason I wanted a 3D TV in the first place! :thumbsup:

Regarding Transformers DOTM, I do quite like it, but the number of scenes that were really used the extra dimension in a noticeable way, were relatively few. It's still among my favourites, and it's a superb demo disc in 2D, but it felt quite restrained in its use of 3D.

The wingsuit scene was superb, possibly as it's one of the few scenes shot natively in stereo. I'd hoped for more aggressive use where CGI was in play i.e. battle scenes - for those, Pacific Rim is the king of showing off gurt big robots in 3D. I have high hopes that the new Transformers film will have better use of the tech, now that Michael Bay has more experience of it.

My Lego movie disc arrived today, so that's tonight's viewing. The 3D fans may be small in numbers, but we will not go quietly into the night, or at least I wont :D.

Surprisingly, there's still a fair few films being released in 3D (with the good people at Framestore being involved) :thumbsup:

The Creature From The Black Lagoon I agree looks fantastic.

Am I the only one who can only see 18 films on the list?

I've got them all except pirates 4, but I'm getting it soon.

So far I've watched Finding nemo, Drive Angry and Up and I was very impressed with first two. Up disappointed me in 3d.

You have to put on your 3D glasses to see the other two.

Haha maybe so but if the creator could let me know what the others are that's great.

And fix the Wreck Em Ralph error too ;)

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Am I the only one who can only see 18 films on the list? I've got them all except pirates 4, but I'm getting it soon. So far I've watched Finding nemo, Drive Angry and Up and I was very impressed with first two. Up disappointed me in 3d.

We counted both Hobbit films and Monsters, Inc and Monsters University, which is why there only appeared to be 18. However in light of the above comments, and to avoid confusion, I've added two more 3D Blu-rays.

Drive Angry is one because the film is great fun and the 3D is awesome and I've also added The Great Gatsby because no one does 3D quite like Baz!

(very minor typo: "Despicable Me was a surprise it when it came out")

Getting my first 3D kit next week (Sony Projector) so might have to pick up one or two of these. You know, for the kids. I actually used Hugo and Gravity (in 2D) to demo the projector so it will be interesting to see how the 3D experience looks.

Star Trek: Into Darkness for me, also Toy Story 3 was great.

A few more...

Wizard of Oz

Oz The Great and Powerful

A Turtle's Tale

Dial M for Murder

Madagascar 3

Beauty and The Beast

Last edited:
Saw House of Wax recently - that should be in the list. Fantastic depth.

I had to google then...I couldnt believe someone would do a 3D converison on such an awful awful film. Thankfully (I hope) your talking abotu the 1953 film

Personally speaking I didnt think the 3D on Gravity was all that. Maybe cause I'd watched the film 2D first

Saw House of Wax recently - that should be in the list. Fantastic depth.

I had to google then...I couldnt believe someone would do a 3D converison on such an awful awful film. Thankfully (I hope) your talking abotu the 1953 film

I'm sure that it is the 1953 version of House of Wax that is being referred to; which was shot in 3D. The newer atrocity; isn't available in 3D AFAIK.

There is a brief moment in House of Wax (1953) when the perspective doesn't seem right. It's a close up of Vincent Price when he is in his wheel chair. His head seems strangely elongated. Maybe that's what happens when you're making a 3D film and the director is blind in one eye...

Star Trek: Into Darkness also has a moment of perspective weirdness; but that also looks wrong in 2D and even worse in 3D. I'll try and find the time code of the scene later.

Not watched it all the way through, but another vote for Madagascar 3. I thought it looked down right amazing in 3D from what I've seen.

For the best in your face gimmick 3D......

Harold and Kumars 3D Christmas. You can almost smell the weed lol!

Not watched it all the way through, but another vote for Madagascar 3. I thought it looked down right amazing in 3D from what I've seen.

I'm particularly looking forward to seeing the 'audition' circus scene towards the middle of the film in 3D.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom