Third Dimension - The AVForums 20 Best Blu-rays for 3D & Other 3D Disc Chat.

Now you’re just being completist - that’s the only reason I could think anyone would buy that one!

Lol, I looked at a trailer and thought it looked good for the 3D!.

Im up to 178 3D titles at the moment, not sure there are too many more I need!? Any recommendations?

Aquaman
Bladerunner 2049
Fantastic Beasts & Where To Find Them
Fantastics Beats ; The Crimes of Grindelwald
Fright Night 3D
G.I Joe Retaliation
Hugo
Immortals
In The Heart of the Sea
Marvel:Thor
Marvel: Captain America The First Avenger
Miss Peregrines Home For Peculiar Children
Nurse 3D
Pompeii
Rampage
Ready Player One
Texas Chainsaw
The Darkest Hour
The Great Gatsby
The Walk
Venom
300 Rise of An Empire

Aquaman
Bladerunner 2049
Fantastic Beasts & Where To Find Them
Fantastics Beats ; The Crimes of Grindelwald
Fright Night 3D
G.I Joe Retaliation
Hugo
Immortals
In The Heart of the Sea
Marvel:Thor
Marvel: Captain America The First Avenger
Miss Peregrines Home For Peculiar Children
Nurse 3D
Pompeii
Rampage
Ready Player One
Texas Chainsaw
The Darkest Hour
The Great Gatsby
The Walk
Venom
300 Rise of An Empire

Picked up The Darkest Hour for £1 from CEX, waiting for BR2049, ITHOTS and Rampage to become cheaper. I own all the Marvel films but never went back to pick up the 3D conversions for the first Cap/Thor films as I had read that they weren't brilliant in 3D?

Not interested in Fantastic Beasts, I've never seen HP!! Ready Player One didn't do it for me but I might pick up down the line in 3D if its cheap. My vertigo in films wont let me watch The Walk either!

Thanks for list though, appreciated!

Picked up The Darkest Hour for £1 from CEX, waiting for BR2049, ITHOTS and Rampage to become cheaper. I own all the Marvel films but never went back to pick up the 3D conversions for the first Cap/Thor films as I had read that they weren't brilliant in 3D?

Not interested in Fantastic Beasts, I've never seen HP!! Ready Player One didn't do it for me but I might pick up down the line in 3D if its cheap. My vertigo in films wont let me watch The Walk either!

Thanks for list though, appreciated!

I'm far from a completist - i just tend to buy 3D films where i liked the film or the disc was super cheap.

With regards to Captain America / Thor - they're not the best 3D marvels of all time but then films like Doctor Strange / Guardians / Ant Man are some of THE best 3D films done period so not much can compete with that level.

They where 'meant' to be 3D and personally I find them very enjoyable and would far rather see them as intended.

To 3D Or Not To 3D: Choose The Right Captain America Ticket

Joe Johnston Defends Captain America 3D - Captain America - Comic Vine

Last edited:
Got stung for £12.07 customs and handling for spiderverse from AUS.

Got stung for £12.07 customs and handling for spiderverse from AUS.
Unlucky, don't forget to claim your GST back though (approx. £2.15)

Unlucky, don't forget to claim your GST back though (approx. £2.15)

Yeah I claimed that back at least, was £2.05 I think, the £4 customs wasn’t to bad but £8 handling fee ?,

Yeah I claimed that back at least, was £2.05 I think, the £4 customs wasn’t to bad but £8 handling fee ?,
I know, it's scandalous, I wouldn't be surprised if in the future that it's looked at and hopefully changed but I suspect it wont be like PPI and we will be able to claim back! But the £8 is standard admin cost, no matter what the value etc... it's criminal! :)

I know, it's scandalous, I wouldn't be surprised if in the future that it's looked at and hopefully changed but I suspect it wont be like PPI and we will be able to claim back! But the £8 is standard admin cost, no matter what the value etc... it's criminal! :)

‘ other ‘ couriers such as Fedex will deliver a package and then send you an invoice after for the tax and their handling fee.

I’ve always responded paying the tax that I owe but refusing to pay the handling fee pointing out their contract is with the sender not me. Sadly you can’t do that with Royal Mail as they hold it to ransom which is questionably legal.

With regards to Captain America / Thor - they're not the best 3D marvels of all time but then films like Doctor Strange / Guardians / Ant Man are some of THE best 3D films done period so not much can compete with that level.

They where 'meant' to be 3D and personally I find them very enjoyable and would far rather see them as intended.

To 3D Or Not To 3D: Choose The Right Captain America Ticket

Joe Johnston Defends Captain America 3D - Captain America - Comic Vine

Captain America is not too bad, it's just Thor that I found unwatchable in 3D. I think the difference is that CA was was shot with 3D conversion in mind, but Thor wasn't. Also 3D conversion technology was still new and improving quickly, so even the short time between the movies made a noticeable difference. The Avengers from just a year later is really good in 3D, and I would argue many recent conversions are better than native 3D, the ones you mention being good examples.

You know, I try and do my bit to keep 3D alive, by catching films in the cinema in 3D. My reasoning is if we don’t use it we’ll lose it altogether. The cinemas aren’t making it easy. We’re lucky in Leeds to have 5 multiplexes in the area. Odeon Thorpe Park is showing both Secret Life of Pets and Aladdin in 2 screens (neither in 3D). Their lack of love for 3D is the only thing stopping me from buying an Unlimited card (the Dolby Cinema isn’t anything special unless the film is mastered in Dolby Vision (Endgame and Rocket Man were disappointingly normal)

Cineworld is only showing Aladdin in 3D in the tiny screen 6, (the equivalent of watching on my tv from 5 feet away) not Pets 3D. The 2 Vue cinemas stopped 3D about 2 years ago and that leaves Showcase (an hour on the bus for me with buses every 30 minutes - so my least favourite to visit). They ran a promotion recently to encourage people to catch films in 3D. So at least they tried. Luckily they’re showing ‘Pets’ in 3D but just one screening a day at 10;50am. - I guess we should just throw the hat in the ring and accept 3D is dead for Leeds.

Captain America is not too bad, it's just Thor that I found unwatchable in 3D. I think the difference is that CA was was shot with 3D conversion in mind, but Thor wasn't. Also 3D conversion technology was still new and improving quickly, so even the short time between the movies made a noticeable difference. The Avengers from just a year later is really good in 3D, and I would argue many recent conversions are better than native 3D, the ones you mention being good examples.

Appreciate it may not be to your taste, but Thor was 'meant' to be 3D and as I like 3D I'd always try and watch a film as the filmmaker intended.

“We absolutely shaped it, shot-for-shot, scene-for-scene for the movie. I’m proud of what we did with it,"

Kenneth Branagh Talks 'Thor' 3-D Effects And The Bifrost Bridge Scene

You know, I try and do my bit to keep 3D alive, by catching films in the cinema in 3D. My reasoning is if we don’t use it we’ll lose it altogether. The cinemas aren’t making it easy. We’re lucky in Leeds to have 5 multiplexes in the area. Odeon Thorpe Park is showing both Secret Life of Pets and Aladdin in 2 screens (neither in 3D). Their lack of love for 3D is the only thing stopping me from buying an Unlimited card (the Dolby Cinema isn’t anything special unless the film is mastered in Dolby Vision (Endgame and Rocket Man were disappointingly normal)

Cineworld is only showing Aladdin in 3D in the tiny screen 6, (the equivalent of watching on my tv from 5 feet away) not Pets 3D. The 2 Vue cinemas stopped 3D about 2 years ago and that leaves Showcase (an hour on the bus for me with buses every 30 minutes - so my least favourite to visit). They ran a promotion recently to encourage people to catch films in 3D. So at least they tried. Luckily they’re showing ‘Pets’ in 3D but just one screening a day at 10;50am. - I guess we should just throw the hat in the ring and accept 3D is dead for Leeds.

I stopped going to the cinema because of so many little issues, well not so little when they mixed up the L&R sync one time!.
I wanted to see a 3D a few months ago but there was only a few showings at an inconvenient time.
I try and do my bit by buying the blu rays.

Appreciate it may not be to your taste, but Thor was 'meant' to be 3D and as I like 3D I'd always try and watch a film as the filmmaker intended.

“We absolutely shaped it, shot-for-shot, scene-for-scene for the movie. I’m proud of what we did with it,"

Kenneth Branagh Talks 'Thor' 3-D Effects And The Bifrost Bridge Scene

OK, I see they gave it some thought, just a technology that wasn't quite ready then. I don't think it's really a matter of taste, as much as the 3D effects just don't really work or look natural. Granted there are few scenes where it works, although a bit cardboard cut-out, but it's not much better than the automatic 2D-3D conversion on my player.

I actually watched Thor pretty recently, in the run up to the Endgame release, and I had to switch back to 2D. All the other Marvels are totally watchable in 3D, and my preferred format.

OK, I see they gave it some thought, just a technology that wasn't quite ready then. I don't think it's really a matter of taste, as much as the 3D effects just don't really work or look natural.

I think 3D is usually a matter of taste its not really a provable black and white fact.

Take 'Avengers Endgame' You've got Phil who on the forums podcast says the 'Endgame' is the Best 3D he's ever seen... You've got another guy in the Marvel forum who claimed to like 3D saying the 3D in Endgame was 'meh and not worth it' and of course the people who dislike 3D in general an moaned that they had to see it in 3D to see an Imax showing... I'm of a different opinion again that it was very good but not 'Top rate' or 'The best.'

People are always going to have differing opinion about what they find visually pleasing but i think its really compounded with something like 3D when its clear people are literally having a different visual experience - ala - is the Dress white or blue ? Do DLP projector exhibit rainbows with movement?

I think 3D is usually a matter of taste its not really a provable black and white fact.

Take 'Avengers Endgame' You've got Phil who on the forums podcast says the 'Endgame' is the Best 3D he's ever seen... You've got another guy in the Marvel forum who claimed to like 3D saying the 3D in Endgame was 'meh and not worth it' and of course the people who dislike 3D in general an moaned that they had to see it in 3D to see an Imax showing... I'm of a different opinion again that it was very good but not 'Top rate' or 'The best.'

People are always going to have differing opinion about what they find visually pleasing but i think its really compounded with something like 3D when its clear people are literally having a different visual experience - ala - is the Dress white or blue ? Do DLP projector exhibit rainbows with movement?

I wonder how much 3D he actually has watched though to give a decent opinion ?, I notice that in 3D proctor reviews 3D is never tested these days simply because a manufacturer doesn’t supply a pair of glasses which is a shame.
I’ve pre ordered endgame simply for completion but at 3 hrs duration it will most likely sit on the shelf for a long time!.

I never bought Godzilla when it was released due to some poor reviews but decided to pick it up, what’s the general consensus for film and 3D ?.

I never bought Godzilla when it was released due to some poor reviews but decided to pick it up, what’s the general consensus for film and 3D ?.
Once I got over the fact that, although trailers made it look like Bryan Cranston was the star yet gets rid of him in about 15 minutes, I actually grew to like this one a lot. 3D is good on my E6, though a lot of dark scenes might not play out so well if using a projector.

Once I got over the fact that, although trailers made it look like Bryan Cranston was the star yet gets rid of him in about 15 minutes, I actually grew to like this one a lot. 3D is good on my E6, though a lot of dark scenes might not play out so well if using a projector.

Strange, the trailers I watched this morning were all day lit/ bright, reading a few more reviews and what you’ve just said about the dark scenes reminded me why I didn’t buy it. I will definitely give it a go though.

Given that 3D conversion technologies have vastly improved, it would be good if Captain America and Thor were re-converted for 3D

I liked it, but monster movies are my favourite genre, so anything Godzilla gets an extra point automatically. So it’s pretty good but general consensus was not enough Cranston and not enough Godzilla. The monster action when it is shown is spectacular and enhanced by the 3D, but some scenes are very dark.

I thought Kong Skull Island (next in the loosely connected series) was the better movie, and by all accounts the new King Of The Monsters is really good, so looking forward to that one.

I highly recommend that one "final destination 4' on 3D blu ray!, Also FD5.

Thanks for the recommendation of FD4 - got a copy from Germany and watched it last night. Absolutely excellent use of 3D, shot native 3D I think with CGI elements. Lots of gimmicky pop out, but totally suits the movie, even the opening credits are great where they remake some of the deaths from the earlier movies in 3D.

Thanks for the recommendation of FD4 - got a copy from Germany and watched it last night. Absolutely excellent use of 3D, shot native 3D I think with CGI elements. Lots of gimmicky pop out, but totally suits the movie, even the opening credits are great where they remake some of the deaths from the earlier movies in 3D.

Nice one, I don’t use the word Gimmicky if I can help it :D. It suits the movie perfectly as you say, I was smiling from beginning to end!.

I liked it, but monster movies are my favourite genre, so anything Godzilla gets an extra point automatically. So it’s pretty good but general consensus was not enough Cranston and not enough Godzilla. The monster action when it is shown is spectacular and enhanced by the 3D, but some scenes are very dark.

I thought Kong Skull Island (next in the loosely connected series) was the better movie, and by all accounts the new King Of The Monsters is really good, so looking forward to that one.

Thanks, I’m looking forward to it, my projector has fairly good black levels and obviously the darkening of active glasses on top, in theory it should be ok unless shadow detail is clipped.

Loved "Godzilla" , was a film that just worked for me , the story and pacing were good and the 3d and soundtrack involving and well balanced.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom