Third Dimension - The AVForums 20 Best Blu-rays for 3D & Other 3D Disc Chat.

I'd take a more expensive dual-release over none at all though. And you never know, I might even find a 4K version that looks better on my TV than a good 3D one does (I have a 4K OLED, with gorgeous passive 3D) so it'd be in their best interests to try to convert me.

Andre

its nice to have both options

non 4k fans can sell the 4k disc and get most their money back, and vice versa with the 4k only fans can sell on the 3d disc.

would make it hard to know who is buying for the 3d or the 4k though but it might boost 4k poor disc sales (slightly...)

With 3D releases seemingly on the decline, I think the film companies should include a 3D version as a simple bonus disc with their 4K releases. At least that way we could still get 3D if we want it (and with the right television, 3D actually looks far better than 4K) without them having to go to the bother of marketing a separate release. The work in creating the disc master ought to be fairly minimal given that theatrical releases are all digital now.

Andre
If they’d done that from the start there might not have been such a steep decline. I wouldn’t mind paying £25 if I got the 3D title thrown in too. couple Of my American purchases did the 4K/3D combo ro start Passengers and Ghostbuster to name two but I don’t think I’ve even watched the 4K version as I always prefer the 3D disc. My eye sight isn’t good enough to notice any uptick in 4K and I’ve always found HDR to be very subtle.

Watched King Arthur tonight for the first tike in 3D it looked great, then put on the Apple HD version, yes it lacked depth but was still good. I know VUDU in USA stream 3D versions of certain films it’s a pity other providers don’t offer the option, it surely can’t cost a lot to put them on the servers, I know I’d buy them over the 4K at the moment,

Finally.....Last night...It was a maleficent watch (sigh)!!!!
And it was so so fabulous.
Post conversion 3D is almost as good as natively shot.
3D should never die.

Maleficent 2 and Gemini man arrived today.

Maleficent 2 and Gemini man arrived today.
Same here. A big storm a coming so I have an excuse to batten down the hatches and forget about closing my exercise ring!

Same here. A big storm a coming so I have an excuse to batten down the hatches and forget about closing my exercise ring!
I've had a few wines, still trying to fathom out your reply :eek: 😂 😂

Trouble is when we have high winds im reluctant to switch on the projector incase of a power cut!. Might watch it on the TV instead as it's pretty good to.

Trouble is when we have high winds im reluctant to switch on the projector incase of a power cut!. Might watch it on the TV instead as it's pretty good to.
I just assumed the package I hadn’t opened was going to be Maleficent (as Zavvi said they shipped it on Tuesday) but it just turned out to be Agents or SHIELD s5. Fingers crossed for tomorrow morning.

I just assumed the package I hadn’t opened was going to be Maleficent (as Zavvi said they shipped it on Tuesday) but it just turned out to be Agents or SHIELD s5. Fingers crossed for tomorrow morning.

I had 3 today, Maleficent and Gemini man, plus The Adams family 2D Blu ray from the eBay USA seller, it would of been great to have had that in 3D.

I had 3 today, Maleficent and Gemini man, plus The Adams family 2D Blu ray from the eBay USA seller, it would of been great to have had that in 3D.
Gemini man is a nice immersive 3D watch but I loved maleficent opening scene with that anchor scene towards audience. Now I think there is only one 3D movie left to be released and that's frozen 2. Its so saddening that they haven't even announced any upcoming 3 movie so far.

You have my sympathies regarding Addams Family I saw it the cinema and though the film is clearly designed with 3D in mind it never got a 3D screening. Plenty of scenes where I thought 'that's obviously designed as a pop out effect' but alas. Thought the movie was awful though!

Gemini man is a nice immersive 3D watch but I loved maleficent opening scene with that anchor scene towards audience. Now I think there is only one 3D movie left to be released and that's frozen 2. Its so saddening that they haven't even announced any upcoming 3 movie so far.
Weird that on disc it's a nice immersive 3D. I saw in in Dolby HFR 3D in the cinema and the 3D seemed really flat apart from one scene where there's glasss flying everywhere. I also thought the clouds seemed muted (for a Dolby film). I've seen the 4K HFR disc and the colours are much stronger and richer, though I didn't benefit from Dolby Vision when I borrowed my mate's disc as my E6 won't do Dolby Vision at 60hz. Looking forward to watching the 3D disc when it arrives. IF it arrives.

Anybody can tell me how's 3D presentation of Rio 2014?
If I remember correctly Rio is a pretty good 3D presentation, lots of depth, rich colours and a couple of pop outs. I thinks it's time for a re-watch. In fact I don't know if I've even watched it on my E6. Think it was my old Panasonic tv at the time.

You have my sympathies regarding Addams Family I saw it the cinema and though the film is clearly designed with 3D in mind it never got a 3D screening. Plenty of scenes where I thought 'that's obviously designed as a pop out effect' but alas. Thought the movie was awful though!
That’s a shame the film is awful! but I will give it a watch sometime, good 3D can often save a film.

Good 3D can't save a bad film. Sure it can give it some prettier eye candy, but that doesn't change the fundamentals such as script, acting, direction, overall production design, etc.

Andre
I agree with panman40 in that good 3D can save a bad film. The perfect example is Jaws 3, in 2D this is a movie I'd never waste my time watching again but the 3D makes it a really fun watch. Need for Speed is another poor movie that's made enjoyable by good 3D and great sound.
I might even get some enjoyment from A Good Day to Die Hard if it was in 3D, although that's one movie that's so bad I don't think anything could save it. So I also partially agree with you.

Good 3D can't save a bad film. Sure it can give it some prettier eye candy, but that doesn't change the fundamentals such as script, acting, direction, overall production design, etc.

Andre
I agree about what you say about 3D not changing/improving the fundamentals but I think people are simply suggesting that great 3D on a poor film can make for a better viewing experience than if seen in 2D alone.

For example, yesterday afternoon we sat down to watch “Journey 2” in 3D (a £2 Poundland special!!) and although there’s no way I would ever pretend it’s a great film, it did make for a fun 90 minutes. The 3D made it a better experience than if we’d have watched in 2D (which if I’m being honest, I doubt I ever would!!)

I believe the 3D does give a film that added dimension (no pun intended!) to the viewing experience, similar to say watching a poor film with great Dolby atmos does for example. After all, this is an AV forum - not just a movie one - so many members are as interested in the visual and audio experience as much as the film intself.

I agree about what you say about 3D not changing/improving the fundamentals but I think people are simply suggesting that great 3D on a poor film can make for a better viewing experience than if seen in 2D alone.

For example, yesterday afternoon we sat down to watch “Journey 2” in 3D (a £2 Poundland special!!) and although there’s no way I would ever pretend it’s a great film, it did make for a fun 90 minutes. The 3D made it a better experience than if we’d have watched in 2D (which if I’m being honest, I doubt I ever would!!)

I believe the 3D does give a film that added dimension (no pun intended!) to the viewing experience, similar to say watching a poor film with great Dolby atmos does for example. After all, this is an AV forum - not just a movie one - so many members are as interested in the visual and audio experience as much as the film intself.
Thats exactly what I was getting at.

We just watched Abominable / Everest. Not the best dreamworks movie and the first part I was struggling with, however it picked up into a sweet little story. The 3D was good but I would of liked it stronger and more pop out would of been great.

a few places I had a lump in my throat.

I'm thinking that Frozen 2 will be pretty damn good in 3D. Released sometime in March, I believe.

Andre
Even I believe that good 3D can make an average movie a better experience. Good example here is king arthur legend of swords. 3D effects of it are marvellous.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom