To all those who are panic buying

Stop calling it 'panic' buying for a start, perhaps use the terms, selfish buying, inconsiderate buying or my personal favourite selfish scum buying?

Shame it’s the mirror and there’s not a lot you can trust that comes from their news/click bait. Probably fake news... either way this highlights what some ppl are like out there...
I don’t think there’s much more to say that hasn’t already been said about this in other threads.

Tescos this morning was a joke, it now seems everything is fair game for bulk buying.
Farm foods are restricting people to one packet of toilet rolls and they have plenty but could not get any white fish fillets so off to Iceland to try there, bit of a worry as it is for my ultra fussy moggie Millie. :)

They should be removed from store. Hopefully, before they have made their made their purchases.

Poor woman :(

People are scum... apart from the ones that aren't. Unfortunately, Covid-19 can't differentiate.

We are due our weekly shop tomorrow. Not looking forward to it.

Popped into a big Tesco yesterday when picking up kids in a remote part of the uk for some apples. Got the apples but all the fresh veg/meat/frozen produce all gone, quite crazy. I could however have had a fillet steak, mushrooms, yorkies and roast potatoes if I'd wanted :D

Staff were closing an aisle at a time and a bunch of them restocking it, seems like they just can't fill the shelves fast enough, I can see them shutting overnight tonight at least gives them a chance to try fill some of the shelves, they all must be exhausted.

Family member mentioned to me that someone checked out of a Tesco with £300 of ready meals...

hopefully when we shop on Thursday, there will be plenty of fresh items. I am expecting there to be based on most people seem to have no idea how to cook and rely solely on ready meals etc.

Anyone else fed up with daily posts on various Facebook sites telling people to stop panic buying/stockpiling etc? As if that will stop them!!! Seriously, some people really think this will do it 😁😁 And not ONE person admits to doing it either. Very strange. Who ARE these stockpilers? 😁 😁 😁

Those with plenty of disposal income I would imagine.

I can see them shutting overnight tonight at least gives them a chance to try fill some of the shelves, they all must be exhausted.

24Hr Tescos and Asda have already said they're going to do just that.

Local Aldi shut it doors today, couldnt cope with the sheer number of people in the store. People were told to come back later. Not the social distancing the government was aiming for...
I was in Aldi this morning and they seemed to have whole aisles of shelves empty.

Stop calling it 'panic' buying for a start, perhaps use the terms, selfish buying, inconsiderate buying or my personal favourite selfish scum buying?
I Will second that, remember you cant fix Stupid!

hopefully when we shop on Thursday, there will be plenty of fresh items. I am expecting there to be based on most people seem to have no idea how to cook and rely solely on ready meals etc.

You'd think that - but when I went (to a larger supermarket) earlier in the week, there were plenty of fresh ready meals (some frozen too, but not as much). But items for cooking from scratch - flour and canned tomatoes particularly - nowhere to be found anywhere (even in smaller shops).

But yes, generally fresh stuff - particularly veg - seems to be more available. Local butcher seems fine as well. Stands to reason really, there's no point hoarding something that will go bad in a week and there's only so much freezer space.

Last edited:
Just got an email from Sainsburys. Restrictions on every grocery item to 3 max, 2 for the essentials. Food counters to be closed from tomorrow to get more hands on the shop floor. Opening hour for the elderly.

funny how everyone was posting that "keep calm and carry on" poster ad nauseum when it was "cool and funny", and now it's relevant, no one is.

Just got an email from Sainsburys. Restrictions on every grocery item to 3 max, 2 for the essentials. Food counters to be closed from tomorrow to get more hands on the shop floor. Opening hour for the elderly.
That's all sensible stuff, shame my local asda which must be managed by F***witts has not adopted a common sense approach to dealing with the mindless/moronic /pondlife scum that buy 50 of everything, we can only hope the food they purchase in such volume goes out of date and gives them all food poisoning, then they will have a real need for the 200 bog rolls that fill there living rooms.

I think to put it in some perspective, what looks like panic or 'inconsiderate' buying to some is just cautious buying to others.

There a 5 in my house including 3 young boys who, even though quite young, can and do eat a reasonable amount of food. Basics like milk and bread - I'll easily go through 20 litres and 2-3 loaves in a week. And that's with 2 of them getting meals in school / nursery. Half-term / Summer holidays / Weekends, consumption goes up significantly with everyone at home.

So if families are expecting a full-lock down for several weeks / months, then it's only reasonable that they're going to be buying stuff up.

Once this inital 'panic' is over, I would expect things to settle down considerably. Once schools are shut and my family are in lock down, I don't intend to go out much for food and only restock bread / milk / eggs every now and then.

As of last night Tesco's are now closed between 10pm and 6am. I popped in at 7:30am this morning to grab a coffee from the Costa there and the queues for the tills were halfway down the aisles. Most of the stock they'd put on the shelves overnight had already gone.

Seems eminently sensible. I've been stocking up myself - let's be fair, most people have - but I've generally only been buying, max, two of some items. Even when I saw people buying up 5 packs of paracetamol in front of me on Monday (stupid, stupid staff that let them) I only got a couple myself. It is possible (and in truth, recommended) to stock up sensibly without going bat**** crazy.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom