To Miele or not to Miele?

I’m the one in profit - as several appliances have required replacement, costing significantly more than I originally paid for them.

I’m the one in profit - as several appliances have required replacement, costing significantly more than I originally paid for them.
You seem to keep ignoring the premiums in the total cost to you, though!

After many Bosch appliances looking tatty and dying after 7-10 years, I have moved everything over to Miele. They work better are nicer to use and don't fall apart. My double oven, looks like new (nearly) after a good clean, and it's 18 years old. I recently bought a WM with twinsdos, (automatic detergent dosing) works brilliantly. I bought the MW, DW and TD all used from eBay, all look and work like new for a fraction of the price.

In my experience, the Miele vacuum cleaner I use has been the best I've ever owned, and it wasn't significantly more expensive than its competitors.

I recently replaced my Bosch washing machine with another Bosch. The old one was still going strong after 17 years, but wasn't energy efficient and only had a maximum 1000 spin speed. I did look at Miele but couldn't justify the expense compared to the Bosch's performance and reliability.

I know German engineering, materials and quality control are stereotypes for excellence, but there is a semblance of truth in it (despite some of the horror stories on this Thread) and I think Bosch is a very good and much more affordable alternative.

My only with issue with Bosch (and the whole BSH group) is the vast discounts they give out which really makes you think they are trying it on with their pricing.

I dont think you can ever really justify the premium price of Miele but if you can afford it they have some exceptional performance. Recently installed a steam combi oven that I managed to get in the sale (current model), as a conventional/fan oven it heats up exceptionally rapidly, it holds its temperature precisely (our old Whirlpool oven would be +/- 10C of the set temp as it heats up above temp then lets it cool down below), the shelves pull out on runners far beyond the oven making basting etc easy and are good up to 15kg, even the oven door is good up to 20kg standing on it. Most importantly of all, using the reheat & crisp function really does make leftover pizza taste like its just been cooked :)

Not always the prettiest machines but they are bulletproof units. Very quiet in operation too, ours remains so even after 6 years of daily use.

Have a Miele Washer and a separate dryer which are around 6-7 years old. Never skipped a beat.

Just bought a pair of Miele ovens, as they're clearing out the last of their 6xxx series models now the 7xxx models are available. These will replace the dreadful AEG tat our housebuilder installed in 2015.

Gone for top end models at over 60% off the RRP, in the shape of a 60x60cm single oven and a 45x60cm compact steam oven.

Annoyingly Miele don't show the discounts, but browsing their website you'll find ovens priced at £1100-1600 that were in some cases knocking on £4.5k each! Couldn't justify at the original prices, which we were quoted about a year ago, but now they're about the same money as Siemens options it's a no-brainer on the longevity front.

Long time Miele fan - sold a washer-dryer when we moved house, and a freestanding dishwasher, which both fetched good money. Already replaced the AEG dishwasher with a Miele and it's well worth the extra cost.

I posted further up this thread regarding a replacement dishwasher. We bought the Miele dishwasher in the end (G6660) and 10 months later we are really pleased with it. I know it replaced the cheapest, crapiest machine possible but this thing is great.

Recently replaced our tumble dryer with a Miele which is also a huge upgrade. I suspect in the future I won't look at other brands - though I'd quite like a range cooker and they seem to start around £10k so I might look elsewhere then!

My Miele washing machine has just broken down after 11 years, unfortunate because it had a 10 year guarantee. I called out the Miele technician (cost £75), who told me that it would cost over £1000 to repair!

So basically, it's beyond economic repair and I'm extremely annoyed - especially when Miele claim in their own advertising that you should expect 20 years out of one.

It had low hours on it too, only two of us in the household, and the tech commented on this.

what did you do about it?

My wwi660 is still going strong after nearly 2 years (and so it should given the price). I do think it may have got slightly louder. I've been using the twindos system, which I'm not 100% about. Sometimes it runs out and you don't notice, so end up doing a load with the detergent switched off. The wifi aspect works well. I have tasker set up on my phone to alert me when the notification comes through, so never forget to empty it. I don't use any of the phone app functions though and don't really see why you would?

As domestic and still somewhat affordable machine go - definitely go for Miele. There are better machines out there, but cost considerably more, even the top end of domestic market ( V-zug or Schulthess ) will cost you way way more than Miele, yet Miele still gives nearly commercial quality. For those horror stories - as they sell quite a few machines, there bound to be some that fail ( simple number game - statistically so many failed machine per 1000s sold - their fail rate is considerably lower than even the second best though ) , yet expectations and service is better than most of other makes, even though it cost more. Not the prettiest WM but who buys washing machines for their looks ? Driers, ovens , hobs are very very good too, coffee machine or microwave is waste of money and more money than sense comes to mind. One thing I would say NOT to Miele is fridge / freezer - buy LIebherr instead ( domestic fridge/freezer is the only appliance that Miele does not produce but buy from -liebherr so you get the same quality for a LOT less.

Yeah agree about Liebherr fridge/freezers. My 12 year old Miele one was getting very loud with door seals failing so it was time to replace it. The A+++ Miele one I wanted was around £900, however the almost identical looking one from Liebherr (also A+++ rated) was around £600 so bought this instead last Xmas. Very happy with it, so spacious and so damn quiet!

My Miele B2C Machine had developed a fault. Miele posted a transport box via ParcelForce for it to be returned to them for repair.

It arrived on Monday, and ParcelForce returned late on Tuesday afternoon to collect it. By Thursday afternoon, Miele had emailed their report on its repair, and by Friday Lunch ParcelForce delivered my repaired B2C Machine.

Excellent service.

My 15 year old Miele is built like a Tiger tank only needing motor brushes £30 which I fitted myself, fantastic wash performance and whisper quiet and turbine smooth. Having said that new model seem cheap and plasticy so I would probably replace with LG when the time comes.

Btw also own two Liebherr fridge freezer both fantastic and identical to Miele fridge freezer when I bought them 5 years ago.
Only complaint salad draws weak.

Well, our 7 year old Miele Washing Machine, with a ten year warranty, developed a fault at the end of November.

On a 'dark & denim' wash, despite actually draining, the display would indicate drainage fault and the programme would stop. Setting it to a separate rinse cycle would let the rinse/drain function as intended.

The fault then appeared on a cotton wash.

Miele engineer booked, attended a week later. Cleared out the pipework (I had already inspected the accessible drainage pump for a blockage and found it to be clear), without connecting his laptop, and after paying a £133 call-out charge as there was a small blockage and thus not covered under warranty, all was well. For three days.

Second visit, same engineer, laptop connected this time, a fault was noted on one of the circuit boards. A third visit booked booked for when the board would be in stock. Told we could use the machine and put it on a rinse cycle as and when the fault came up.

On the third visit the engineer (different to the first two visits) arrived without the board as he'd been informed that it was a routine call out. Apologised profusely and explained that Miele had 'up'graded their computer system and data wasn't being given to those who needed to know. Fourth visit booked.

Complained to Miele and received a refund on the initial call out fee plus a £100 Miele voucher.

The day before the fourth visit we were told that the board hadn't been received from Germany. Fifth visit booked.

Complained again to Miele who agreed that the level of customer service received was unacceptable.

Now, quite out of the blue, I've just been sent an email stating that a brand new washing machine, worth £1,249, will be delivered and installed next Wednesday - along with disposal of the old one.

I'll admit it probably helped a lot that we own so many Miele products all registed on their system.

So yes, things can go wrong, but when they do Miele have always helped us and for that reason will remain our choice of white, and brown, goods manufacturer.

Miele customer service is one of the best. Right there at the top. I have Miele washing machine, condenser dryer, tumble dryer, oven and hoover.

The 10 year warranty on the washing machine is a no brainer.

After 7 years the washing machine developed a fault where the cottons cycle was taking 4 hours at 90 degrees instead of the usual 2. Technician booked and came out and decided to replace the full electrical board. The only regret I have is that the new boards are programmed with the latest water efficiency parameters which means that the machine uses less water in a cycle. Which, in my book, is a bad thing when it comes ot a washing machine. I blame the bloody EU bureaucrats who come up with idiotic rules. Thank god Miele offers the water plus option which compensates for that.

I had a bagged Miele C3 vacuum (top of the range) which was 1200W. That is the best vacuum I will ever own. Fantastic performance, silent and so agile to use. Decided to sell it after 7 years of use (got more money than I paid for it brand new) so that I could buy the new bagless Miele Blizzard. My biggest regret (as much as one can regret a vacuum).

Big mistake! The Blizzard is much bigger in size and the handle is heavier and clumsier to use. And on top of that it's only 890W (goddamn EU bureaucrats at it again). So after a couple of years I have sold the Blizzard (only £50 loss) and I am going for a Dyson V11 stick vacuum. I would get the Miele Triflex but i am not keen on its looks at all and think that when it comes to stick vacuums, Dyson is the king. Plus, I have had enough of the corded vacuums.

Dishwasher cae with 5 year warranty. Performance wise it is superb. Excellent cleaning and very silent. I have never used Rinse Aid in it. Just use 5% acidity white vinegar. On the last month of the 5th year it developed a little buzzing noise which lasted for 20 seconds during the cycle (not every cycle). As luck would have it, Miele shut down due to Covid (March). I emailed them and told them about the fault and asked if they would repair it under warranty if I waited until Covid lockdown finished. They replied and said that they will. Technician came around. Replaced the pump and he also noticed that the dishwasher door was also faulty so replaced the latch on that too. Performance wise it is superb. Excellent cleaning and very silent. I have never used Rinse Aid in it. Just use 5% acidity white vinegar.

The only thing non Miele is the fridge and freezer. Both Liebherr, freestanding, taller than me and excellent. Fridge has 3 drawers with biofresh and even a charcoal filter to filter odours. I believe Liebherr make the fridges and freezers for Miele (to the latter's specification). However Miele branded ones are £500 or more than the Liebherr ones.

Miele customer service is one of the best. Right there at the top. I have Miele washing machine, condenser dryer, tumble dryer, oven and hoover.

The 10 year warranty on the washing machine is a no brainer.

After 7 years the washing machine developed a fault where the cottons cycle was taking 4 hours at 90 degrees instead of the usual 2. Technician booked and came out and decided to replace the full electrical board. The only regret I have is that the new boards are programmed with the latest water efficiency parameters which means that the machine uses less water in a cycle. Which, in my book, is a bad thing when it comes ot a washing machine. I blame the bloody EU bureaucrats who come up with idiotic rules. Thank god Miele offers the water plus option which compensates for that.

I had a bagged Miele C3 vacuum (top of the range) which was 1200W. That is the best vacuum I will ever own. Fantastic performance, silent and so agile to use. Decided to sell it after 7 years of use (got more money than I paid for it brand new) so that I could buy the new bagless Miele Blizzard. My biggest regret (as much as one can regret a vacuum).

Big mistake! The Blizzard is much bigger in size and the handle is heavier and clumsier to use. And on top of that it's only 890W (goddamn EU bureaucrats at it again). So after a couple of years I have sold the Blizzard (only £50 loss) and I am going for a Dyson V11 stick vacuum. I would get the Miele Triflex but i am not keen on its looks at all and think that when it comes to stick vacuums, Dyson is the king. Plus, I have had enough of the corded vacuums.

Dishwasher cae with 5 year warranty. Performance wise it is superb. Excellent cleaning and very silent. I have never used Rinse Aid in it. Just use 5% acidity white vinegar. On the last month of the 5th year it developed a little buzzing noise which lasted for 20 seconds during the cycle (not every cycle). As luck would have it, Miele shut down due to Covid (March). I emailed them and told them about the fault and asked if they would repair it under warranty if I waited until Covid lockdown finished. They replied and said that they will. Technician came around. Replaced the pump and he also noticed that the dishwasher door was also faulty so replaced the latch on that too. Performance wise it is superb. Excellent cleaning and very silent. I have never used Rinse Aid in it. Just use 5% acidity white vinegar.

The only thing non Miele is the fridge and freezer. Both Liebherr, freestanding, taller than me and excellent. Fridge has 3 drawers with biofresh and even a charcoal filter to filter odours. I believe Liebherr make the fridges and freezers for Miele (to the latter's specification). However Miele branded ones are £500 or more than the Liebherr ones.

Yeah, I always use Water+ too!

Good info re. Liebherr, our Miele FF is 15 years old so will possibly need replacing relatively soon so I'll bear that company in mind.

My Miele washing machine has just broken down after 11 years, unfortunate because it had a 10 year guarantee. I called out the Miele technician (cost £75), who told me that it would cost over £1000 to repair!

So basically, it's beyond economic repair and I'm extremely annoyed - especially when Miele claim in their own advertising that you should expect 20 years out of one.

It had low hours on it too, only two of us in the household, and the tech commented on this.
l have a miele washer /dryer called miele.They use independent tech people to come out that cost £200 was told two new circ board will cost £800 plus call out charges that was Snelling of Blofield Norfolk.that is miele sub contracting work out and not dealing with customer one to one miele show very little interest.l now have a machine not working at all.Miele as a company in uk are treating customer like scum and are cutting cost and are only interested in new customer it called following the money.l am moving to germany soon and will have to wait untile then.When l will call out miele to fix it.Miele uk are such a lazy company tradind on the good name of miele in germany.it is so sad that l am going too write to HQ in germany to expose this ad state of affairs in UK.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom