Question to wide

jack45

Established Member
Reaction score
is it possible to have too wide a sound stage

as we all probably do I now and again move my speakers slightly to see in it improves the sound
as I cannot sit dead centre of my speakers due to space restrictions I move them now and again to see what if any difference it makes
my speakers are now toed out very slightly (i know goes against all advice) but instrument separation seems to have improved and slightly more bass now sound stage sounds wide but very flat if you know what I mean

I love a wide open sound stage. There’s no rule book. If it works for you, it’s a good discovery :thumbsup:

What works for you is all that matter.

every speaker to room combination has its own sweet spot. You just experiment with different positions until you find what works for you, as both @Costello and @Helix Hifi mentioned.

The stuff you read online and on reviews are pretty much for an "ideal" situation only

Some speakers do perform better off axis, giving the feeling of a wide soundstage and they can make for excellent speakers for both stereo music and home cinema. I like a wide soundstage where the instruments can expand but again a lot of that will certainly depend on the quality of the recording. SACD stereo to me gives a far wider presentation than redbooks.

I agree completely gibbsy. Some recordings it’s fun to toe out your speakers for a very deep soundstage, sometimes not. But I generally have always toed in my speakers. Non rule are those pesky Dali speakers which we’ll sound to bright toed in because they need to fired down straight from the wall. I don’t like Dali approach at all. All they sound nice.

When you toe in your speakers the soundstage well get narrower, but more open and sweet. You’ll hear details more then if they are not toed in. But many like a wide soundstage, I don’t. We’re all different.

But as gibbsy says manufacturers like DALI like to placed off axis, not on axis. This because of the double tweeter configuration. But now a days DALI have returned to soft dome tweeters only it seems. Perhaps they got complaints from customers it got to bright. My guess. I had many DALI speakers and they play very well with right amp,room ect. But since you can’t toe them in (I have small room) they don’t sing well in my ears. But when you get them right DALI sounds nice. Now a days I have Tannoy speakers. The kings of toe in speakers! My god when you toe them in towards your nose and boom! It all falls to place. But too OP just experiment with your speakers. It’s a real fun game. Sometimes it’s like you got brand new speakers. Have fun.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom