Today's recommendation for a ambient lightrejectin gelectric screen

DeadEye

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Long time no post.

Looking to finally sort an elecric screen, a bit bigger than I have now and with some ambient light rejection.

Ive got the Epsom 9300 so plenty of light - just don't want to be installing black-out blinds for the summer.

Last time I looked the Draper seemed to make the best ALR screen material.

Ay recommendations?

Cheers

Hi all

Long time no post.

Looking to finally sort an elecric screen, a bit bigger than I have now and with some ambient light rejection.

Ive got the Epsom 9300 so plenty of light - just don't want to be installing black-out blinds for the summer.

Last time I looked the Draper seemed to make the best ALR screen material.

Ay recommendations?

Cheers

It's better you get blinds. No screen projector combo can properly fight ambient light. The mid dark/dark parts will be most affected. Unless what you're watching is bright and you don't care about the quality that much, i.e. sports, daytime TV, cartoons, an ALR screen will not help.

Furthermore, with most ALR screens the projector needs to be ~1.9x throw ratio (screen width) from the screen. Otherwise there will be artifacts like hotspots and sparkle, especially in bright scenes.

Treating the walls to reduce reflectivity, dimming the lights, reducing light bleed from windows, recessed lights and generally eliminating any lights that will hit the screen directly, will help.

If you still want an ALR screen you can get a React (3.0), Cinegrey 3D/5D form Elite, or from Hivilux. Painting (a drop down screen) is also possible, and this option will eliminate the hotspots/artifacts since paints can be customized. But the less artifacts a screen has (generally), the less ambient light properties it has.

If you want to see what an ALR screen looks like in different lightning conditions and different types of projected images (brightness wise) check out this link. The hotspot is present because the throw ratio is 1.5x:

It's better you get blinds. No screen projector combo can properly fight ambient light. The mid dark/dark parts will be most affected. Unless what you're watching is bright and you don't care about the quality that much, i.e. sports, daytime TV, cartoons, an ALR screen will not help.

Furthermore, with most ALR screens the projector needs to be ~1.9x throw ratio (screen width) from the screen. Otherwise there will be artifacts like hotspots and sparkle, especially in bright scenes.

Treating the walls to reduce reflectivity, dimming the lights, reducing light bleed from windows, recessed lights and generally eliminating any lights that will hit the screen directly, will help.

If you still want an ALR screen you can get a React (3.0), Cinegrey 3D/5D form Elite, or from Hivilux. Painting (a drop down screen) is also possible, and this option will eliminate the hotspots/artifacts since paints can be customized. But the less artifacts a screen has (generally), the less ambient light properties it has.

If you want to see what an ALR screen looks like in different lightning conditions and different types of projected images (brightness wise) check out this link. The hotspot is present because the throw ratio is 1.5x:

My throw ratio, if you mean then distance from the PJ to the screen vs screen width, is just over 2. The PJ is in a cupboard behind the main seating area dead centre and is about 60cm above the viewer. We have slatted blinds on one window and curtains on the other so we're not talking about watching football in midday sun. However, I don't want not negatively affect picture quality.

I see Draper are now peddling TecVision screen material. Any experience with that?

My throw ratio, if you mean then distance from the PJ to the screen vs screen width, is just over 2. The PJ is in a cupboard behind the main seating area dead centre and is about 60cm above the viewer. We have slatted blinds on one window and curtains on the other so we're not talking about watching football in midday sun. However, I don't want not negatively affect picture quality.

I see Draper are now peddling TecVision screen material. Any experience with that?

These ALR fabrics are similar.

The link with the ALR screen in different types of configuration should tell you if the image will be acceptable or not.

@Rickyj at Kalibrate Sells ALR electric screens using their own sourced material.
Thanks for the recommendation. We do supply screens made for ambient light by Draper, Tecvision, Screen Innovations and Diverse (our own brand). Let me know if you need any more information or a quote.

Ha ha, not a lady...

Did you go with one from Ricky?

I am sending him a sample to take a look at :smashin:

I have been trying to think who might have a screen on the forums (many of my clients are not AVForums users or posters. @the_dude2 uses a borderless ALR screen, and @tommouk has a build thread here, using one of our bigger screens (not all casing are that big anymore).

@Warriors2010 Used one of our 0.9 grey screens in this build here.

Now to work out who you are?o_O

Last edited:
:laugh: I have an N7 ordered with you and deciding on a screen currently (sent you an email reply today with a couple of questions).

I'm liking the borderless ALR screen I got off @Rickyj at Kalibrate a lot.

I probably sit about 1.5 screen widths away, as I'm using a wide angle lens for a roughly 110" diagonal from just under 3m away.

I do see speckles but rarely on 4k HDR movies, and occasionally on SDR. And when I do see them it's rare I find it distracting.

It's a lovely screen and am currently watching Man of Steel on it and it looks great!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom