Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan Season 2 Review & Comments

Yep - also they got there from Liverpool St - but hey this is fiction so a little bit of artistic licence is ok
Yeah lovely college pass it regularly when I visit me mum

It was too Bourne/Bond/pew pew pew for me this season sadly:(

Wow, this is some predictable, trope-laden horseshit, filled to the brim with stereotypes and impossible to swallow events. I mean, right from the first scene, we’re expected to believe that the CIA’s chosen undercover operative in Moscow is a fat black guy. In Moscow. A black guy. Chosen. By the CIA. To go undercover. In Moscow. A black guy. In Moscow.

I have barely seen anything more risible in this genre. So utterly predictable too. The first time we see his Senator friend from Venezuela, I said to my GF: he’s gonna die. Scene after scene of him demonstrating what a great guy he is. He might as well just said the words ‘I’m gonna die and that’s gonna be the thing that lights a fire under you concerning the main plotline, but in the meantime here’s another scene of me demonstrating how inhumanly lovely I am’ in every single scene. He might as well have been daubing a target on his head.

On the technical side, black levels are elevated (common on Amazon stuff) and highlights muted, offering a washed out, unsatisfying image at Amazon’s usual ‘significantly lower than Netflix’ bitrate. There are artefacts all over the place.

Amazon is having a laugh at your expense here. The series was shot on ARRI Alexa Mini cameras — which are NOT 4K (3.2k max, but less if the image is wider as the sensor on the Mini is 4:3). if you want to compare to what real 4K looks like check out See on Apple TV+, with its native 4K production pipeline, finely tuned peaks and blacks and a bitrate nearly three times what’s offered here. It’s night and day. Jack Ryan should be labelled 'HD+' or something because it is categorically not 4K, and I've seen plenty of 1080p streams with more pleasing images.

Sound quality is also not great. Very compressed, and the supposedly Atmos soundtrack sounds like a 5.1 upscale — as in not mixed in Atmos by an engineer, but mixed in 5.1 and algorithmically extended. I've become very attuned to telling the difference. It's easy, in fact.

All in all I hated everything about this and didn’t make it past episode 2.

4/10

Last edited:
Wait a minute. Whilst I always like to see detailed reviews/info on TV/Film stuff, you didn't make it past episode 2?

I've just got the final episode to watch now, and whilst I'll admit it's not in the same league as Season 1, I certainly think some of the critique in here has been overly harsh. But that's just my opinion, and I know others are entitled to theirs.

I would say though you need to watch more than just 2 episodes before you can fully assess a story. I wasn't keen on the first episode myself, but it does improve and the storyline expands.

Wait a minute. Whilst I always like to see detailed reviews/info on TV/Film stuff, you didn't make it past episode 2?

I've just got the final episode to watch now, and whilst I'll admit it's not in the same league as Season 1, I certainly think some of the critique in here has been overly harsh. But that's just my opinion, and I know others are entitled to theirs.

I would say though you need to watch more than just 2 episodes before you can fully assess a story. I wasn't keen on the first episode myself, but it does improve and the storyline expands.
I’m not a professional reviewer (anymore), so I get to stop watching things I’m not enjoying. I thought this was terrible in every way. Terrible script, bad for 4K image quality, predictable, and utterly ludicrous. If you can’t suspend your disbelief even for a second because they are throwing inconsistencies, plot holes and logic failures onto an already overburdened and poorly written show, there is no point continuing the torture.

I don’t mind others liking it. Don’t care. We’re all different. Just giving my honest opinion.

first season was good fun. this is atrocious. Stuck with it on the hope that is had to improve. Sadly it just got worse.

Boxed this off the other night myself. Whilst I think some of the negative comments in here are a bit harsh, I would agree that it wasn't in the same league as Season 1.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the main characters - John K is good as Ryan, and Wendell Pierce always turns in a decent performance.

No the problem was the story. It was a non-starter, and sadly by the final episode it was a dud. It was also very obvious at the end what was going to happen, and who the "bad guy" was. It also didn't make a lot of sense on occasion, got itself a bit muddled in the middle, and Rapace's character actually wasn't needed at all.

I'll still be looking forward to Season 3; there's plenty of source material and road for this. But I shall definitely be hoping for a bit more.

Whilst I'd give Season 1 an 8/10, this season is a 6.5/10 for me.

Not sure if I saw this in here but is season 2 based on Clear & Present Danger? Is there a plan with the seasons to follow the films/books? I have no clue whether the first season was based on any previous Clancy work?

I’d say this season was loosely based on CAPD.

Don’t recall any books that were much like the first season. It’s a while since I read them though

Not sure if I saw this in here but is season 2 based on Clear & Present Danger? Is there a plan with the seasons to follow the films/books? I have no clue whether the first season was based on any previous Clancy work?

I'd say it has shades of Clear and Present Danger. Very loose though if it was the intention.

I don't think there is any plan to follow the books, but there's plenty in them they could pick out.

I'd like to see the introduction of John Clark too.

I'd definitely enjoy a defecting Russian sub series - be really interesting to see how Ryan et al would fair if they do an art imitating life US administration so closely tied to Russia and what the commander in chief would do if presented with such a situation....

I'd say it has shades of Clear and Present Danger. Very loose though if it was the intention.

I don't think there is any plan to follow the books, but there's plenty in them they could pick out.

I'd like to see the introduction of John Clark too.

The attack on
senator with the rocket launcher and the whole special forces int he jungle
was straight out of Clear and Present Danger.

I seem to remember reading that the rights to the John Clark character were owned by someone else, hence him not appearing. I imagine the main special forces guy from both series is probably supposed to be him.

Finished this the weekend and I really liked it. It's just entertainment same as the 1st series. It's not going to win any awards but for something to binge over a week or 2 it's great. Always enjoyed series like 24 and Strike Back and this sit's along side those shows with shorter runs and no filler with the episodes.
Only read 1 book iirc and seen all the films and I like the series. Nothing more than entertainment with booms and bangs !

No where near as good as season one for me, enjoyable at times maybe 6/10 .

I live in India. Jack ryan 2 is not playing dolby atmos inAFTV 4K. More than that, season 1 which was playing in Dolby Vision is not playing in DV from 15th November 2019. No answer from Amazon.
Anyone facing this issue anywhete?

S2 isnt DV - I think Prime are now all HDR10+
As you'll see at amazonforum.com some people dont get Atmos but the solution is unknown.

S2 isnt DV - I think Prime are now all HDR10+
As you'll see at amazonforum.com some people dont get Atmos but the solution is unknown.
Dolby Vision and Atmos was available for Jack Ryan Season One till 14th November but all of a sudden not available from November 15. If amazon prefers hdr 10+ it will be useful only for samsung tv owners. Then no use of AFTV 4K as netflix and apple tv plus doesnot play dolby atmos in fire tv stick 4k.

It borrows from
Clear & Present Danger and Rainbow Six 3. (Corrupt Venezuelan President).

Watched the first episode and was really disappointed. A black man doing covert operations in Moscow. Might be easy to follow and keep under surveillance. Then there's Jack Ryan! The actor playing him has the emotional range of a pancake. Again a CIA Officer falls straight into a honey trap. Leaves sensitive documents out in his hotel room. Sorry wooden acting and a lousy script. Having read the reviews maybe I'm being too picky? Will have a go at watching the second episode.

I was disappointed with season 2, thought it was poor compared to the first. Hopefully season 3 will return to form..

Such a shame. Season one had promise. Season two straight down the toilet. Will never go back.
Moved on.

I just caught up with Season 2

I thought it was great.

8/10 for me but S1 was a bit better.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom