Top 10 Disney Plus Hidden Gems - article discussion

Your forgot the movie, Swiss Family Robinson. :laugh:

Funnily enough, I watched John Carter of Mars again the other day on Disney+ and was saying to my wife and kids how I thought it was a massively underrated movie (I also own the 3D Blu Ray version - which is fantastic).

I'm biased a little because I love the stories but the movie is like two and a half hours of fun stuff happening. It's great!

The books DO NOT hold up to today's standards in a lot of ways (noble savage, manifest destiny, white saviour tropes galore.) Some racial analogues are used to break down stereotypes, interestingly enough - the white Martains are the bad guys: they act like gods and think all the other races are stupid and theirs to control. However, a lot of the analogues are very much of their time - the black martians are savage pirates and the some of worst of the Martian civilizations. Some of the female roles are surprisingly complex, though sadly they've been reduced to "semi-naked Amazonian temptress" in most of the comic adaptations which makes me a bit sad.

A slightly less problematic homage to the stories are Michael Moorcock's Kane of Old Mars books which, like all Moorcock stories, are massively entertaining.

I could talk about John Carter for hours...oh whoops, I have.

The Three Musketeers (1993) is good, clean family entertainment with the added bonus of a corseted Rebecca De Mornay as Milady De Winter (i‘m probably not allowed to say that now in the current climate but I’ll run the risk). And it’s still better than the recent Paul WS Anderson’ed take on the source.

I was quite surprised by the amount of content on Disney Plus, I think they priced it exactly right

I watched Queen of Katwe a few nights ago on D+. In many ways a pretty typical triumph over adversity African story, but still entertaining and well acted. Truly terrible music in it though.

I wonder when they'll drop Onward onto UK Disney+. It's already on the US service and of course is no longer playing in UK cinemas. (it is however, still advertised on the side of UK busses rather perversely) For reasons never explained we've always got Pixar stuff incredibly late.

I watched Queen of Katwe a few nights ago on D+. In many ways a pretty typical triumph over adversity African story, but still entertaining and well acted. Truly terrible music in it though.

I wonder when they'll drop Onward onto UK Disney+. It's already on the US service and of course is no longer playing in UK cinemas. (it is however, still advertised on the side of UK busses rather perversely) For reasons never explained we've always got Pixar stuff incredibly late.
But we get incredibles 2 and wreck it Ralph 2 which is surprisingly not on the US version. Which is annoying as I haven't seen either yet and wanted to watch it in 4k.

"Number 1 will blow your mind" is quite literally the worst click bait tag line of all time... I hope you used it ironically without context... If not... Shaaaaaaaaaame!

The three musketeers is appalling dross.

Only Americans could have destroyed so superb a book.

The three musketeers is appalling dross.

Only Americans could have destroyed so superb a book.
Awwww.

I mean, you're obviously right! Though the BBC had a good old crack at absolutely massacring the material too!

Dumas is one of my favourite writers of all time and the Count of Monte Cristo is one of my top five books.
Hollywood rarely does him any favours!

Awwww.

I mean, you're obviously right! Though the BBC had a good old crack at absolutely massacring the material too!

Dumas is one of my favourite writers of all time and the Count of Monte Cristo is one of my top five books.
Hollywood rarely does him any favours!

I’m a huge fan of Dumas too and , yes I agree, the Count of Monte Cristo is a legendary creation.

I’ve read the Three Musketeers four times over the years.

It’s hard to get enough of Dumas.

The only worthwhile Dumas film or tv I’ve seen is the Micheal York Three Musketeers.

And that’s because it at least tried to capture some of Dumas pace and skill in the dialogue. And, naturally, Oliver Reed was simply awesome as usual.

(I’d forgotten about the BBC abomination. As everyone should).

Everything was going great until No1 and 2!

Parent Trap I can live with but not No1, but I'll happily swap JC for Frozen 2 right now.

I haven't seen it but the presence of Kiefer makes me think it'll be some sort of wholly unrealistic but fun Young Guns type affair?

:smashin:

Exactly that. A cliched western by any other name.

I haven't seen it but the presence of Kiefer makes me think it'll be some sort of wholly unrealistic but fun Young Guns type affair?
It's been a loooong time since I've seen this, but I'll go with your assumption. Kiefer and Bacon are always worth a watch.

Oooooh, now I feel like a Tremors (1 only) night.

It's been a loooong time since I've seen this, but I'll go with your assumption. Kiefer and Bacon are always worth a watch.

Oooooh, now I feel like a Tremors (1 only) night.

Weirdly enough I watched that last weekend. Hadn't seen it in forever. Still a lot of fun.

Just watched the Micheal York 1973 version. Inspired as I was by this thread.

Very dated now naturally.

Still, it’s the Three Musketeers and as such, a gem.

I’ll watch the Four Musketeers tomorrow night and read the book, yet again, at the weekend.

Journey To The Centre Of The Earth is another film from my youth that I’ve enjoyed revisiting, only partly for the terrible Scottish accents...

The Black Cauldron is a good shout. It was one of the first titles I caught when Disney+ launched here. I rather enjoyed it but what a shame that it was butchered by the studio prior to release. Loved the visuals and the darker tone. An underrated gem for sure.

Just watched Mars: Inside SpaceX.

Wow, a watchable Elon Musk! Will never tire of seeing two rockets landing simultaneously having been to space. OK so technology has moved on, but it shows what you can do without Government money and a asking "what if" a lot.

May I add to the list, Tron Uprising and 18 episodes animated series that is fantastic and everything Tron legacy should have been. Woefully undervalued when broadcasting on Disney XD and killed in schedule due to it having its time changed to the midnight death spot!

2 caveats though. The piolet is not on there meaning some motivation of charters is lost. The season ends on a cliffhanger. Still, if enough people stream it, it may get another one.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom