Top 10 Netflix Feel-Good Recommendations - article discussion

"If Friends is a bit too saccharine or safe for you"

This is why I have always loved Friends and always will. There is definitely a fair bit of 'saccharine', however, the series is absolutely loaded with very adult, very risque humour. It always had a rebellious edge...

I always think it's a shame when people dismiss it because of either its popularity, or because they've just caught fleeting glimpses of the 'frothier' material. I'm still frequently amazed by how adult some of the jokes are & how they got away with it...

What, no "Await Further Instructions" about a British family in lockdown in the wake of a national emergency ? :)

This is why I have always loved Friends and always will. There is definitely a fair bit of 'saccharine', however, the series is absolutely loaded with very adult, very risque humour. It always had a rebellious edge...

I always think it's a shame when people dismiss it because of either its popularity, or because they've just caught fleeting glimpses of the 'frothier' material. I'm still frequently amazed by how adult some of the jokes are & how they got away with it...
Totally agree. Friends did become more 'saccharine' as the seasons went on. The humour got broader and became a lot tamer in the later seasons and it became more than a bit soap opera-y but the first 2-3 seasons had some really rather risque laughs and jokes. Those earlier seasons really did reflect the type of things that young, flat-sharing adults experienced and found funny.

My early twenties and late teen niece and nephew watched the whole thing on Netflix a few years ago and it was just as appealing to them as it was to me 25 years ago.

I'm definitely not dismissing it. I mean, I'm recommending people watch 236 episodes of it!

Having said that, I think there are a lot of things about it that are pretty not cool now.
In a lot of ways...could it be any more 90s?

Anyways, I think you have to concede it's very tame in comparison to Always Sunny which...yeah, most US sitcoms are safe in comparison to Always Sunny. And it was in that context that I was using the word.

Totally agree. Friends did become more 'saccharine' as the seasons went on. The humour got broader and became a lot tamer in the later seasons and it became more than a bit soap opera-y but the first 2-3 seasons had some really rather risque laughs and jokes. Those earlier seasons really did reflect the type of things that young, flat-sharing adults experienced and found funny.

My early twenties and late teen niece and nephew watched the whole thing on Netflix a few years ago and it was just as appealing to them as it was to me 25 years ago.
I'm definitely not dismissing it. I mean, I'm recommending people watch 236 episodes of it!

Having said that, I think there are a lot of things about it that are pretty not cool now.
In a lot of ways...could it be any more 90s?

Anyways, I think you have to concede it's very tame in comparison to Always Sunny which...yeah, most US sitcoms are safe in comparison to Always Sunny. And it was in that context that I was using the word.

Oh indeed, I'm really glad to see.you recommended Friends. Kudos!

The Always Sunny comparison? Well on the surface it's far more crude, of course, but I'd still argue that Friends went nearly as dark, even if it was done with more...subtlety (I'd love to provide a few cryptic examples but they're too 'disgusting'!)

As an aside, I could never got into Always Sunny. It may be more adult, but the writing and performances don't come close in my opinion...(not helped by the fact that every character is unlikeable!)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom