Top Gun 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Absolute classic, I hope it streams in this quality too!

Thanks cas. Haven’t seen this so will give it a rent on 4k uhd

One of my all time favourites and can’t wait for this to hit the deck, seen screen grabs of the 4K remastered compared to the previous Blu-Ray and its not even funny how big of an improvement there is, July 8th can’t come soon enough.

Are you sure there are no extras on the UHD though? as dvdcompare lists the commentary as well as the newly produced ‘Legacy’ and ‘On Your Six’ features as being on there.

I remember when I was selling Dolby Pro Logic II and this film made that extremely easy.

thanks Cas great review

as I have lockdown fever and for obvious reasons we will have a long wait for any big releases on 4K disk , I have pre ordered top gun, days of thunder, war of the worlds, jaws and blues brothers on 4K disks and cant wait to play all of them especially as I have upped my sub game with a pair of SVS SB3000's - sorry neighbours!

One of my all time favourites and can’t wait for this to hit the deck, seen screen grabs of the 4K remastered compared to the previous Blu-Ray and its not even funny how big of an improvement there is, July 8th can’t come soon enough.

Are you sure there are no extras on the UHD though? as dvdcompare lists the commentary as well as the newly produced ‘Legacy’ and ‘On Your Six’ features as being on there.
I can't remember exactly what they were called but there is definitely at least two extra features on the UHD disc. I watched the one with recent interviews with Tom Cruise.

thanks Cas great review

as I have lockdown fever and for obvious reasons we will have a long wait for any big releases on 4K disk , I have pre ordered top gun, days of thunder, war of the worlds, jaws and blues brothers on 4K disks and cant wait to play all of them especially as I have upped my sub game with a pair of SVS SB3000's - sorry neighbours!
If I was your neighbour, I'd hammering on your door with all my might demanding........to come in and watch, with 6 masks, 10 pairs of gloves hell even goggles on. Worth it lol.

If I was your neighbour, I'd hammering on your door with all my might demanding........to come in and watch, with 6 masks, 10 pairs of gloves hell even goggles on. Worth it lol.
thanks for that as it made me laugh out loud - unlike space force

You're quite right, I only noticed on playback and was too busy enjoying the film to amend that bit of the review; edited now.

Recently sold most of my Blu-ray collection, one of them being Top Gun (I still have 478 discs), as I mostly buy from iTunes now. So, I was really pleased to see that it is available from iTunes with Dolby Vision/Dolby Atmos on board. I thought that it was an excellent quality stream, but probably not as good as the 4K disc (going by Cas' review). A very nice upgrade indeed.

Thanks for the Review, Cas. This is one I think is best derved by the physical disk, so I'm hoping it pops up on my rental site soon :)

Absolutely spot on review Cas, i purchased this US 4k disc a few weeks back, and it rocks..it's a fantastic upgrade on the PQ front and that Atmos track aint too shabby at all.

This film is like "The Lost Boys", it will never get old and will will never die lol.

Last edited:
You haven’t seen this?!?!?!? 😳

i used to watch this most nights while training to become a pilot! It was very useful!!!

Although I may now need the number for that truck driving school. Does anyone have it? Truck master I think it is?

Thanks Cas, was thinking of buying this, now I'm definitely ordering.

When a review is on the edge, The hotter the intensity. I don’t like this review because it’s UNSAFE!

Love this film - it’s pure cheese but at the highest quality. Aerial shots will only be beaten in Maverick.
Great review, Cas.

While it's a great classic and a great UHD transfer I don't think it's a 10/10, it lacks in the bass department, low frequencies have been filtered. 8/10 for me.

After ordering 6 steelbooks over a period of 2 weeks including the original Star Wars trilogy..I said to myself..Okay..we have to pace ourselves "Ourselves" indicating the the voice in my head. Isn't that right,? "YES!".. A little after midnight I was made aware of, Casmir's review of Top gun on glorious 4k!

A review that was smashed outta the park, and for that reason I had no other choice but to order this title.

A great and informative read by the way. :D

Great to see all these classic 70’s and 80’s getting new leases of life on the format.

But ever since I saw this for the first time back in my teen years, it’s never been one I’ve got along with unfortunately :blush:

This was the movie that got me into surround sound...drifted into a Bose showroom in early 2000‘s and this was playing in their demo room....as planes took off and landed and flew all around, I thought ‘Hell, I just HAVE to have this!!!’ Always a favourite from watching in first week of release, it’s such a great go-to feel good movie!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom