Top Gun: Maverick (27 May 2022) Directed by Joseph Kosinski

Rate me

• Total voters

raigraphixs

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Reports say Oscar-winning screenwriter Christopher McQuarrie (Valkyrie) is working on an idea for Top Gun 2, and Paramount is eager to get the project up and running, with offers out to the original producer/director team of Jerry Bruckheimer and Tony Scott to return. McQuarrie has even devised a way to include Tom Cruise in a minor reprisal of his role as Maverick, by all accounts he is ready to return.

Paramount would no doubt like to see Top Gun become a franchise, too: The original film grossed $353 million worldwide, or roughly $699 million in today's dollars.

But why the move to make a sequel now, all of sudden? We're told that a big part of the reason is the influence of David Ellison, the 27-year-old son of Oracle Corp. founder — and world's sixth-richest man — Larry Ellison. Despite being only three years old when Top Gun first strafed theaters, Ellison clearly became a big fan of the film on VHS, and went on to become both an aerobatic pilot and instrument-rated commercial pilot before attending USC's film school and then ;aunching his own production company, Skydance. His first production was the 2006 World War I drama Flyboys, in which he also starred. It bombed, but Ellison didn't lose his taste for the movie business: Just this August, Ellison the Younger left his Skydance offices (located at Santa Monica Municipal Airport, where Ellison still keeps several small aircraft), swung by JPMorganChase, and raised $350 million to co-finance much of Paramount's slate of films. The first of which will be…wait for it… Mission: Impossible 4, starring Tom Cruise.

Last edited:
I am the BIGGEST fan of the original, but I bet this will suck... However, I'll still watch it!!!

I wonder if they'll drag Val Kilmer out of video hell to reprise his role as Iceman?

I have Top Gun on Blu, it's still a great film, although a bit formulaic.

I actually am quite fond of a very good sequel and as much as I love Top Gun I sincerely can't see how they could replicate the magic. I doubt we will see wonderful cinematography of real fighter jets performing manoeuvres, instead uninspired CGI footage.

As for Bruckhiemer it's been a long time since he made a quality Blockbuster and Tony Scott, I can only imagine the fast cutting, shaky cameras, awful mess he would make if he returned to direct.

Having said that I've got a lot of time for Christopher Mcquarrie after writing and directing "way of the gun".

James Cameron could make the sequel into a thrilling fast paced gritty action movie.

Top Gun 2 has plane crash written all over it. I think that sometimes an old title can help to destroy a movie. Ignoring the Top Gun theme would probably have worked better as a selling point.

Tony Scott ready to direct...

Website What's Playing caught up with Tony Scott today at the Unstoppable junket in Los Angeles...

...asked him whether or not he'd yet decided whether or not he wanted to return to the Danger Zone.

His answer? Yes, he has agreed to do it.

Scott said he will be directing Top Gun 2 but wouldn't say much more nor comment on Tom Cruise's involvement.

Tony Scott has confirmed he will direct a sequel to his 1986 blockbuster Top Gun. The film, he told the Hitfix blog, could focus on a new era of aerial warfare in which pilots control unmanned planes remotely.

Earlier this month it was reported that Tom Cruise might return as Pete "Maverick" Mitchell for the sequel, though not in a leading role. Oscar-winning screenwriter Christopher McQuarrie is to write the film with original producer Jerry Bruckheimer also said to be on board.

Scott said he had not planned to return to Top Gun, but had been inspired by a meeting with a young US air force pilot who worked with unmanned drones.

"I don't want to do a remake," Scott told Hitfix. "I don't want to do a reinvention. I want to do a new movie.

"I'm not waiting for a script. I'm going to do my homework. I'm going down to I think it's Fallon, Nevada, down near New Mexico and it's a whole different world now.

"These computer geeks – these kids play war games in a trailer in Fallon, Nevada and if we ever went to war or were in the Middle East or the Far East or wherever it is, these guys can actually fly drones. They are unmanned aircraft. They operate them and then they party all night."

Scott said the film would also be about the end of the era of fighter pilots. He said: "These guys are still test pilots and they manned the drones when they were first running them."

The film is unlikely to be Scott's next film, Hitfix reports, meaning it will most likely be several years before it arrives in cinemas. Studio Paramount has yet to make an official announcement.

Tony Scott to fly Top Gun sequel in an unmanned direction | Film | guardian.co.uk

A few weeks ago it was said Cruise would be appearing in cameo role, this is not the case, screenwriter Christopher McQuarrie states that Tom Cruise would play lead role.

Just saw Top Gun at the cinema the other night in the classic showing. That film just doesn't get old!

:smashin: for a sequel!

Of course it does, it just oozes 80s, plus it gets more cheesier by the day!

It sunk without trace but they did release a DVD with a new ending. :eek:

We need Top Gun 2 like a hole in the head.

Bri

I thought you were joking about Titanic 2 until I looked it up

Bruce Davison has (no pun intended) sunk to an all time low

Oh god, unmanned drones. Its going to be World Of [-]Warcraft [/-]TopGun! :facepalm:
Yeah there's nothing like the sense of jeopardy like a pilot not in the plane. Wow this is going to suck so badly.:thumbsdow

4 people penned "X-Men: First Class", (Jane Goldman, Matthew Vaughn), the other two, Ashley Miller and Zack Stentz, are in negotiations to write the sequel to Top Gun for Paramount and Skydance Productions.

Last edited:
i used to love the original but after trying to rewatch a few months ago i thought it was god awful!!!

dont think a sequel will work either....:rolleyes:

Sometimes the good ole movies of the 80's are best left to this rose tinted 80's glasses......

Edited this post as frankly quite bored now. It was just funny the first time :)

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom