Towns & Cities With Free or Discounted Parking for EVs.

PRESSTOG

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Thought it may be worth starting a list of places where you get free or discounted parking with EVs, and any Hoops you need to jump through to get it.

Please feel free to add any you know of.

WESTMINSTER - Central London
All Pay & Display Bays. Just Pay 81p for 10mins Parking (Via Ringo App), once paid you can stay in the bay for the maximum allowed period (Check bay but normally 4 hours)

No Preregistration needed..

SHEFFIELD - South Yorkshire
Free EV Green Parking permit available to anyone owning an EV. This allows free parking in all City Centre Pay & Display Bays and all Council Run Surface and Multi Story Car parks in City Centre. (Can Register from any address in UK to obtain the digital permit, nothing to display in car)

Register on the link below and email a copy of your V5 to the email address shown on the registration page. Normally all set up in 24 to 48 hours and lasts for 12 months)

Meadowhall Centre Sheffield M1 J34 Now has 57 Free Type 2 7Kw with Free Parking

Green parking permits

MILTON KEYNES - Bedfordshire
Free EV Parking (ULTRA LOW EMISSION GREEN PERMIT) in the STANDARD RATE BAYS in the Centre of Milton Keynes, (Can register from any address for a digital permit nothing to display in car)

Register on the link below. Normally set up in 24 to 48 hours and lasts for 12 months)

Parking Permits - Apply Here - Milton Keynes Council

Skegness Lincs
Free parking while pluggedin and charging in Town Centre car park. No registration needed

West Yorkshire
West Yorkshire Council is installing 81 Rapid Chargers in car parks around the area, these are offering Free Charging till Oct 2021 and while charging you can park free. There is a 1hr15min limit on the chargers, but as they are 50kw rapids that should be plenty.

West Yorkshire | ENGIE Chargepoint Network

Warwickshire
Warwickshire are offering a free parking pass to EV owners for council run car parks in Leamington Spa, Warwick and Kenilworth, apply free by emailing car details and your details to

[email protected]

Please add any other cities that offer discounts or free parking, if anyone can apply for a permit etc.

Last edited:
I've "stickied" the thread so it will stay near the top :thumbsup:

Quick Addition..

Skegness. LINCS

Free Parking (must be ugged in and charging) in town centre car park EV parking bayz

7kw/22kw chargers operated by Polar

IMG_20190725_095456.jpg

IMG_20190725_120322.jpg

Ditto 2 x locations in Mablethorpe.

all council car parks in dundee are free for EVs regardless of charging or not, just need to email them to add your reg number to the ANPR system

Rotherham MBC. Municipal car parks with EV chargers - free while charging for max 2 hours.

Thanks for this thread I've just got years free parking in Sheffield with my Golf GTE?

I rarely go into Sheffield though and most of the street parking is also marked as Disabled so can't use those anyway.

May come in handy at some point.

Leeds city council offer free parking in their car parks via their ultra low parking permit but NEED to be a resident of proof that you live there.

Bradford council, I'm pushing with the help of a few councillors for free parking, not holding my breath.

Fareham Civic Offices car park, an hour free parking when using the GeniePoint charger, Type 2, CCS, Chademo. Two bays. PO16 7AZ.

Not a Town or City but will add it under Sheffield that Meadowhall Centre M1 J34 have just added 57x 7Kw Type 2 Charging Bays.

57 Bays all for EV Charging only well marked and with fines for blocking them
3 Wider Bays Reserved and Marked for Disabled EV Drivers (Blue Badge)
3 Wider Bays Reserved for Parents with Young Children

All free to use with no apps or cards needed just plug in and go

a 4 hour parking restriction applys to stop commuters parking there all day and taking the train/bus

Leeds city council offer free parking in their car parks via their ultra low parking permit but NEED to be a resident of proof that you live there.

Bradford council, I'm pushing with the help of a few councillors for free parking, not holding my breath.

At least Bradford and West Yorks are installing lots of Rapid chargers (88 I understand), I used the one in Bingley yesterday, and Car park warden said no need to pay to park while charging as long as you were with the car,

And as a bonus the Rapid Chargers are FREE TO USE Till October 2021

You need to register on the Engie website, but one registered and at a charger you can link and existing RFID Card (I used my electronic door fob) to work with the charger in future

Not a Town or City but will add it under Sheffield that Meadowhall Centre M1 J34 have just added 57x 7Kw Type 2 Charging Bays.

57 Bays all for EV Charging only well marked and with fines for blocking them
3 Wider Bays Reserved and Marked for Disabled EV Drivers (Blue Badge)
3 Wider Bays Reserved for Parents with Young Children

All free to use with no apps or cards needed just plug in and go

a 4 hour parking restriction applys to stop commuters parking there all day and taking the train/bus
57!!! That’s a massive number 😮

In fact there aren't 57 yet. There are about 30 (didn't count them) in the Green Zone with the remainder to follow on Orange. Equally, I don't know if the plan includes replace or repair of the single 50kW DC unit in Orange that's presently demic, or whether the entire suite will be solely 7kW AC units.

In fact there aren't 57 yet. There are about 30 (didn't count them) in the Green Zone with the remainder to follow on Orange. Equally, I don't know if the plan includes replace or repair of the single 50kW DC unit in Orange that's presently demic, or whether the entire suite will be solely 7kW AC units.
Still sounds like progress.
Shame they are only 7kW, maybe they will out in some fast chargers which are Pay Per use.

Still sounds like progress.
Shame they are only 7kW, maybe they will out in some fast chargers which are Pay Per use.

Theee are 30 units. Most are double sided so would be 60 but due to the way the bays are 3 are single sided so 57 sockets/bays total

As for faster they have said no as they feel 7kw fits with the dwell time at the centre

They are covering the costs but the posts are on a pay to use backend if they decide to charge in the future

They said with an average dwell of 2 to 3 hours and at 7kw an hour they are happy to absorb the cost at the moment to encourage trade

Would image an industrial tarriff is only around 5p kW so costing them about 35p per hour of use per post

WARWICKSHIRE FREEEV PARKING SCHEME

Warwickshire County Council are now issuing Free Parking Passes to EV Owners to park in the Council Run Car Parks in Leamington Spa, Warwick, Kenilworth.

You can apply for one free by emailing [email protected]

parkin.jpg

Southampton are currently offering free charging at 44 city-wide points as well as free crossing of the Itchen toll bridge

Attachments

• Screener 20.png
    Screener 20.png
    818.4 KB · Views: 79
You need to register on the Engie website, but one registered and at a charger you can link and existing RFID Card (I used my electronic door fob) to work with the charger in future
I have a lot of trouble with Engie/GeniePoint using their Webapp (typically it tells me the nearest charging point is 3900 miles away despite the fact I am parked at one). I have ordered an RFID card but tell me more about key fobs ?

I have a lot of trouble with Engie/GeniePoint using their Webapp (typically it tells me the nearest charging point is 3900 miles away despite the fact I am parked at one). I have ordered an RFID card but tell me more about key fobs ?
Now got my RFID card and it works a treat. I have a free Rapid Engie point just down the hill from my house. I now go there and read a good book when I need to charge.

Good thread!

Wish that there was free use of bus lanes for BEV's.

I am visiting Lords Cricket Ground on Tuesday afternoon. Anyone know if I have any options for cheap parking nearby with an EV. Failing that somewhere on the northwest outskirts of London via tube from Lords.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom