Transformers: War for Cybertron Season 1: Siege (Netflix) TV Show Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
This looks great. Day off tomorrow, so that’s a couple of hours of it sorted

Yes! I'm so excited about this.... Even though I'm grown up now and trying to set my expectations accordingly :)

Finally some decent transformers material since Bumblebee film which was excellent.
Think I have a binge watch coming soon.

I'm a big enough Transformers geek to own the complete original series on disc (at some cost!!), as well as the 80s movie and the Bay 'stuff' (plus Bumblebee).

Hopefully it's more 80s then Bay.

I'll give it a watch in the week. If it's decent I'll hope for a disc release...

Watched Episode 1, such a relief that it didn’t have any kid-friendly comic relief or wacky sidekicks.

Reminded me more of the marvel comic books I loved as a kid, full of the history of Cybertron.

I'm a big enough Transformers geek to own the complete original series on disc (at some cost!!), as well as the 80s movie and the Bay 'stuff' (plus Bumblebee).

My missus bought me it as a present. As much as I want to watch them again, I'm having to pick my moments and see them on my own - we all know that they wouldn't hold up under the glare of a 'noob', and nostalgia can be a very delicate thing.

Still, at least you don't have the mortifying prospect of Grimlock warning of the dangers in not looking both ways whilst crossing the road...

Watched Episode 1, such a relief that it didn’t have any kid-friendly comic relief or wacky sidekicks.

Reminded me more of the marvel comic books I loved as a kid, full of the history of Cybertron.

**PUTTUP** :D

Have to admit the early seasons are a bit difficult without rose tinted glasses and the gleeful joy of a young boy...

Gets better with the later seasons as the animation/story improves.

Best watching in oldskool mode as well - black sidebars with grain

Doesn't look right full screeen/upscaled

It's 1080p. Not 4k
I checked. 1080p 5.9 mbps (or thereabouts) but it still looked amazing.

It's 1080p. Not 4k
I checked. 1080p 5.9 mbps (or thereabouts) but it still looked amazing.

Yup, you're right, it's clearly the Dolby Vision that's making all the difference here.

Only watched the first couple of episodes are it was a hot, sunny (beer-y) day yesterday.
Thought it was brilliant and reminded me of the old comics too.

I got very excited to see Jetfire in the first epsiode, as he was probably my favourite as a kid and was done a complete disservise in revenge of the fallen.
Was also suprised that they called him Jetfire rather than Skyfire!
Either the legal thing doesn't matter any more or Netflix must do a lot of localisation.

Maybe it was my fanboy excitement (and beers) but the Atmos sounded amazing to me. During the sequences with moving objects and the rain sequence it was as though my ears could track everything around the room, exactly as it should be. Maybe it's placebo, or maybe it's something to do with the way the sound track was created and mixed. I have a 7.1.4 setup btw.

Character voices were pretty good too, similar to the old cartoon. Good effort with Soundwave.

Only watched the first couple of episodes are it was a hot, sunny (beer-y) day yesterday.
Thought it was brilliant and reminded me of the old comics too.

I got very excited to see Jetfire in the first epsiode, as he was probably my favourite as a kid and was done a complete disservise in revenge of the fallen.
Was also suprised that they called him Jetfire rather than Skyfire!
Either the legal thing doesn't matter any more or Netflix must do a lot of localisation.

Maybe it was my fanboy excitement (and beers) but the Atmos sounded amazing to me. During the sequences with moving objects and the rain sequence it was as though my ears could track everything around the room, exactly as it should be. Maybe it's placebo, or maybe it's something to do with the way the sound track was created and mixed. I have a 7.1.4 setup btw.

Character voices were pretty good too, similar to the old cartoon. Good effort with Soundwave.

Jetfire/Skyfire is absolutely awesome and the fourth episode set piece (you know it's coming) is tremendous, possibly a season highlight.

I seem to remember him having some of the best G1 Season 1 moments too, including when he is first discovered and has to sacrifice himself to save the planet (IIRC).

Just finished, absolutely brilliant. Can't wait for the other two seasons.

I remember getting a jetfire figure as a kid having no idea who he was, all the armour etc. Dispite having all seasons of the original series on DVD I still don't recall him in it!

Looked and sounded great and that's on a simple 5.1 1080p setup. Awesome

I remember getting a jetfire figure as a kid having no idea who he was, all the armour etc. Dispite having all seasons of the original series on DVD I still don't recall him in it!

Random memory, but apart from the coolness, the thing I will never forget about the toy was that the springs on the wheels were were really strong.
If you triggered it wrong they could fly out at speed and hit you on the fingernails, which was quite painful!

I'm sure in the comic he was a scientist who used to work for the decepticons. I think they actually found him buried in ice but it was a long time ago! haha.

So G1 Jetfire (aka Skyfire) looked very different in the cartoons than he did as a toy (essentially an F14 Tomcat), which is perhaps why it's hard to 'remember' him.

Random memory, but apart from the coolness, the thing I will never forget about the toy was that the springs on the wheels were were really strong.
If you triggered it wrong they could fly out at speed and hit you on the fingernails, which was quite painful!

I'm sure in the comic he was a scientist who used to work for the decepticons. I think they actually found him buried in ice but it was a long time ago! haha.

Yes, he was a scientist, but he didn't work for the decepticons; he existed back when there were no affiliations, and used to do research patrols with Starscream, one of which ended with him crashing on Earth.

4 Billion years later.

The Decepticons discover him, and Starscream convinces him that the Decepticons (despite their somewhat dubious name) are the good guys. Eventually he gets a dictionary and changes sides, and sacrifices himself to save the planet.

Then comes back because the toy was popular.

And yes, his springs hurt like hell.

Not clear if this is a true story. Searched google and found conflicting arguments both for it being fictitious and for it being real events.

Watched the first 3 episodes last night, looks great although there is the odd bit of cheaper looking bits of animation when it comes to fast movement scenes. I also find the moving midsection on prime and megatron a bit odd/unnecessary. Will probably finish the rest tonight. If any wants some other modern Gen 1 animation check out the prime wars trilogy on you tube, it was a web series with decent production/CGI animation.

Thank You Cas,

I am going to try and get my 4 year old boy to watch this with me (instead of youtube rubbish!).

Finished this last night. Watched it over two nights. I liked the style, but wasn't sure after the first couple of episodes, as it felt a bit slow, even with the short runtime, but then it picks up and now I'm looking forward to the next chapter.

Watched the first 3 episodes last night, looks great although there is the odd bit of cheaper looking bits of animation when it comes to fast movement scenes. I also find the moving midsection on prime and megatron a bit odd/unnecessary. Will probably finish the rest tonight. If any wants some other modern Gen 1 animation check out the prime wars trilogy on you tube, it was a web series with decent production/CGI animation.

Yeah they walked like women swinging their hips and the mouth movement was also far to life like. Also, robots with boobs :D I know this was also in the 80s show..

Far from perfect, but it was a decent enough way to waste a few dull hours on a weekend.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom