Transformers

dreadline

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Sat 27th Dec 2008 - 20:00 SKY PREMIERE HD :smashin:

Probably will be on Anytime a couple of days before that though :D

EDIT and so it is :smashin:

Last edited:
Looks very soft compared to the Blu Ray IMO.

I also thought it looked a bit soft compared to the hd-dvd disc I've got.

Not a patch on the blu ray version but then again does any film sky show compare to the blu ray???? The dark scenes looked really weak to me.

Not a patch on the blu ray version but then again does any film sky show compare to the blu ray???? The dark scenes looked really weak to me.

Excellent, so you now understand and accept through direct experience on the same TV that you continue to watch SKYHD on (despite the complaints you have about it) that production choices especially in movies effect the final PQ even when as with Blu-ray they can use uber bitrates:)

Who said Christmas wasn't a time of miracles;)

...that production choices especially in movies effect the final PQ even when as with Blu-ray they can use uber bitrates
Unfortunately, I don't think that's what he meant.

Unfortunately, I don't think that's what he meant.

Too bad if it wasn't:)

You have to assume he is capable of comparing the movie side by side(despite claiming to cancel SKY HD two months ago due to quality and did he get Blu-ray for xmas because I think this is a first for this method of HD bashing) to make any claim in regards to PQ (if he couldn't then why make such a statement it would be rather pathetic). Also by extension as a Blu-ray owner he has probably watched enough Blu-ray movies to see the wide range in PQ offered by a format running at significantly higher bitrates then broadcast HD.

Once you accept that bitrate isn't the deciding factor on Blu-ray then you have to accept that the same situation exists on broadcast HD especially for movies from masters supplied by the same people who supply masters for Blu-ray authoring.
Now that is out of the way we can go back to more practical issues in regards to HD such as production choices and encoding problems not caused by the old bitrate issue and as many have said a lot of BBCHD stuff as improved over the last month despite no change in bitrates.

If that isn't what he meant it and was it just to say Transformers on Blu-ray looks better than it does on broadcast HD well most people accept that is the case just as DVD looks better than broadcast SD.
When you start talking black levels then I check out the TV settings first, perhaps different HDMI inputs are running different picture settings, I know my PS3 Blu-ray has slightly different settings to the SKY+HD and HD DVD.

You have to assume he is capable of comparing the movie side by side (despite claiming to cancel SKY HD two months ago due to quality and did he get Blu-ray for xmas because I think this is a first for this method of HD bashing) to make any claim in regards to PQ (if he couldn't then why make such a statement it would be rather pathetic).
Well for someone who hates Sky so much, he sure seems to watch an awful lot of it. Moreover, if he really does own a Blu-ray player, why watch a movie from Sky that he owns on disc?

As we both know, production values are of paramount importance, throw bucket loads of data at a crummy image and it's still crummy. Producers have to get that right before ever thinking about the broadcast chain, as do those who blindly point fingers at bitrates. We do seem to have seen a slight improvement in BBC HD lately, but I wonder if that's just a matter of perception as the production standards of most programmes has been better of late.

Anyone notice it took up 9% from Sky Prem and 10% on Anytime. The Golden Compass took 5% which is the usual rate now although it was a little shorter run time.

Just watched it...looks pretty sharp to me as sharp as any blu-ray I have seen. But then I have my telly properly calibrated...:devil:

Just watched it...looks pretty sharp to me as sharp as any blu-ray I have seen. But then I have my telly properly calibrated...:devil:
That helps, but having watched a good 25 mins of the Sky offering I've no doubt the BD version is the finer, which is somewhat expected

Anyone notice it took up 9% from Sky Prem and 10% on Anytime. The Golden Compass took 5% which is the usual rate now although it was a little shorter run time.

I've noticed different bitrates more so because I've been recording HD on the PC like it's going out of fashion (which it may do with the new issues smartcards expected early next year). The use of variable bitrate and stat-muxing by SKY to maximise transponder load does occasionally mean we get bitrates pretty much what we had under the old encoders rather than the now established 10mbps ish.
Since Anytime using the downtime of a normal transponder it to must be influenced by stat-muxing so quite possible for the bitrate to be higher thus meaning more disk usage despite being a short presentation.

The last Back To The Future required 11gig while Beowulf only needed 6gig and Lake Placid (guilty pleasure) despite being far shorter than Beowulf needed 6.5gig, all looked good taking into account age and style.

With the settee pulled up close to the telly and the amp cranked up to 11, I thoroughly enjoyed it.. :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom