Trinnov 16 vs 24

Ironman1718

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello

beside the extra channels does the Altitude 32/24 have anything over the lower cost 16 channel version.
Thank you

No, the difference is only in the channel count. As long as you are talking about the 32/16 vs 32/24.

Dan

Compared to the cheapest non-expandable one (16 series?), the 32 series also offers digital output for multichannel which can be useful for external dacs or active speakers like Meridians where their dacs are integral to their design. Being a Meridian owner, this has me looking at the Lyngdorf MP-60, which offers this as an optional extra for a small premium over the base model Trinnov. Even though in theory I'd prefer the flexibility of the Trinnov, I just can't quite justify the stretch to the 32 series for that one extra desirable feature.
That's all academic at the moment though; until I feel we have an economy to come back to, I can't see myself drawing down the rainy day fund much further. Famous last words, I know.

Last edited:
This is where some confusion may lie. The Altitude 16/16 which retails for £13K is a different kettle of fish to the modular 32/16 version which I believe was the OP's question. My understanding based on conversations with Trinnov is that there is a difference in the processing power between the 16/16 and the 32/16, plus every single board including the motherboard, HDMI & channel boards are modular in the 32. So the digital outs are not the only difference.

Dan

Last edited:
In addition to what's been said already, the A16 is 96kHz while the A32 is 192kHz when it comes to processing. So if one has a 192kHz source and wants to do 1:1 without resampling, then the A32 is the choice. Given that all the other options with room correction on the market are either 48kHz or 96kHz, this makes it unique.

As far as the processing power goes, the A16 is using a Intel i3, the A32 Intel i7. The A32 is generally considered upgradeable, the A16 is not. So buy it "as-is" when it comes to hardware, the software can of course be updated. There's a AVB interface for the A32 in the works, if that matters. No word on that option for the A16 yet.

Being a Meridian owner, this has me looking at the Lyngdorf MP-60, which offers this as an optional extra for a small premium over the base model Trinnov.
I wouldn't worry too much about D/A, A/D. When done right, there's absolutely no difference. 10 or 20 years ago it was a big thing, today not so much. I've been using fully digital systems for a loooong time and recently digged a little deeper and did double blind tests with "modern" equipment, because I was told by others this isn't a thing anymore and didn't believe it. The mistake that people make is not having matched signal levels, interference on the cables, not having a matching calibration between inputs (even 0.5dB difference makes a large difference) and so on. A potential issue could be really long cable runs, say if you have the processor mounted in a server rack in the basement and the cables run through the whole house, but that's usually not the case.

What really makes a difference is having digital DSP based crossovers vs analogue ones, but the additional D/A in the processor and A/D in the 271 doesn't matter. Same is true for speakers such as Genelec, Adam and so on, there's no difference in using analogue vs digital inputs.

That being said, the MP-50/60 isn't a bad processor, I think it's much more end-user friendly than Trinnov and provides good quality. But if you don't need the end-user friendliness, I'd forget about the digital out and not think twice.

Last edited:
I have a 271 sitting unused in its box in a cupboard waiting for the day I dip my toe in these waters. Instinctively, I am, as you were, in need of convincing of the non-deleterious effects of an extra DA/AD conversion step, but given your experience, I will certainly consider the Trinnov again. So, thanks for that. After all, even if the the conversion did turn out to be somewhat minimally harmful, but the Trinnov still ended up sounding better than the Lyngdorf, then that concern would be moot.

Hi

anyone know a good AD converter wish to drive a meridian 5000c with pre out but can only find a £50 AD converter on amazon. Thinking of getting an old Meridian 562 but think the AD conversion is only 48khz

Kevin

Do you have other Meridian speakers already connected with a 271 to Trinnov? If so, a AD converter is probably not the best choice, as you might be able to convert SL to legacy for the 5000. Also, is the 5000 a newer one or upgraded to 96kHz? The original 5000 came out in the early to mid 90s from what I remember and was only upgraded later.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom