Trinnov Audio Altitude16 AV Processor Review & Comments (Updated 26th February '21)

My dream Processor...:love: Thanks for the review Steve.:thumbsup:

You would have to pry this out of my dead hands if I had this in my house..:laugh:

Isn't that what the Altitude32 is for, though?

Great review for a lust-worthy toy.

Am I right in thinking that due to the architecture, this never really goes out of date? If you can legitimately continue to use this for the next 20 years whilst staying on the cutting edge, suddenly it doesn't seem quite so much, as opposed to swapping out a £4000 processor (virtually written off after 5 years) a few times.

(granted, if an upgrade for say, the HDMI board, costs £4000 in itself, maybe that argument doesn't quite stick)

Last edited:
What and where do i get movies to use all this?
The UHD discs they put on the market are so limited in quality that i don't see
the point going to spend over 2000.
I don't think there are many if any releases that can supply this processor with enough channels, bits and data to make a difference.

What and where do i get movies to use all this?
The UHD discs they put on the market are so limited in quality that i don't see
the point going to spend over 2000.
I don't think there are many if any releases that can supply this processor w enough channels, bits and data to make a difference.

Isn’t that the point of Atmos and dts:x? They are not limited to channels, so in theory you could have 32 channels and the processor would distribute to the relevant channel correctly.

Isn’t that the point of Atmos and dts:x? They are not limited to channels, so in theory you could have 32 channels and the processor would distribute to the relevant channel correctly.

yes correct but as you said in theory, but i don't know any that do

Wow. I’m happy just looking at the pictures of it.

Be mindful that this thread is for the Altitude 16 which is not upgradable like the 32 model

I do not understand why the Lyngdorf MP50 is not being referenced as an alternative next to the Datasat option.

Yeah with Atmos there should be no such thing as the left, right, center, surround, ect speakers. The whole point of Atmost is arbitrary speaker locations, you can have as many speakers as you want, and in any location and you tell the reviver where they are and it does all the magic for you.

Yeah with Atmos there should be no such thing as the left, right, center, surround, ect speakers. The whole point of Atmost is arbitrary speaker locations, you can have as many speakers as you want, and in any location and you tell the reviver where they are and it does all the magic for you.

If i scan a disc:
Audio #1
ID : 3
Format : TrueHD
Format profile : TrueHD+Atmos / TrueHD
Codec ID : A_TRUEHD
Duration : 2 h 19 min
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 3 218 kb/s
Maximum bit rate : 5 004 kb/s
Channel(s) : Object Based / 8 channels
Channel positions : Object Based / Front: L C R, Side: L R, Back: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : / 48.0 kHz
Frame rate : 1 200.000 FPS (40 SPF)
Compression mode : Lossless
Stream size : 3.15 GiB (4%)
Language : English
Default : Yes
Forced : No

It has all it's data in this stream being 8 channels. So how will it change it to 16?
The objects are fixed to a channel in this stream.
Front: L C R, Side: L R, Back: L R, LFE is there more the receiver can do?

If i scan a disc:
Audio #1
ID : 3
Format : TrueHD
Format profile : TrueHD+Atmos / TrueHD
Codec ID : A_TRUEHD
Duration : 2 h 19 min
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 3 218 kb/s
Maximum bit rate : 5 004 kb/s
Channel(s) : Object Based / 8 channels
Channel positions : Object Based / Front: L C R, Side: L R, Back: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : / 48.0 kHz
Frame rate : 1 200.000 FPS (40 SPF)
Compression mode : Lossless
Stream size : 3.15 GiB (4%)
Language : English
Default : Yes
Forced : No

It has all it's data in this stream being 8 channels. So how will it change it to 16?
The objects are fixed to a channel in this stream.
Front: L C R, Side: L R, Back: L R, LFE is there more the receiver can do?

It doesn’t, it spreads the 8 channels over 16 channels making sure the additional speakers fill in any holes in the sound field for a more immersive sound.

Think of it like a 5.1 or 7.1 system, with most receivers you can add width and height speakers (9.1, 11.1) even though there are no dedicated channels on the disc, the receiver just uses the speakers to fill in the holes that are inherent in 5.1, 7.1 system, thus you get a more seamless immersive sound.

Bill

It doesn’t, it spreads the 8 channels over 16 channels making sure the additional speakers fill in any holes in the sound field for a more immersive sound.

Think of it like a 5.1 or 7.1 system, with most receivers you can add width and height speakers (9.1, 11.1) even though there are no dedicated channels on the disc, the receiver just uses the speakers to fill in the holes that are inherent in 5.1, 7.1 system, thus you get a more seamless immersive sound.

Bill
thanx for explaining

Obviously I’m a lotto win away from ever affording this, but are there comparable standard active speakers that would connect directly to the Altitude16 via XLR?

LCR, surround, surround back, front wide, top front, top rear, LFE etc are still required speaker locations.

I do not understand why the Lyngdorf MP50 is not being referenced as an alternative next to the Datasat option.
The MP-50 is an absolute alternative to the Trinnov as are the Storm processors.

At this level they all sound stunning with each offering different subtleties and flexibility.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom