Trinnov demo their Altitude32 Dolby Atmos and Auro3D processor

Without a doubt, a fantastic piece of kit!! But bejesus.....£25K....euromillions winner anyone?!

DTS-UHD requires a Cirrus Logic quad core DSP chipset so how can the Altitude32 be upgraded to support DTS-UHD?

We see object-based audio playing a large role in the future of our industry, and are excited to be working with Cirrus Logic to demonstrate their powerful quad-core audio DSP with the capabilities of decoding object-based audio content delivered in the DTS-UHD codec," said Joanna Skrdlant, senior director, IC solutions licensing at DTS. "Many of our licensees rely on Cirrus to provide solutions that allow their products to take advantage of DTS audio codecs. Providing licensees with access to the DTS-UHD decoder will allow them to quickly bring to market products capable of delivering new levels of immersive sound enabled by object-based audio.

AVR, HTiB and soundbar licensee partners of DTS that utilize Cirrus Logic quad-core audio DSPs will be able to license the DTS-UHD decoder into their product designs beginning Q2 2014.

DTS Demonstrates DTS-UHD™ Decoder Using Single-Chip Audio DSP at Consumer Electronics Show | DTS

The Altitude32 uses an Intel based chipset.

Even if they can work around the processing aspects, DTS are still not going to offer them a license because DTS-UHD is a joint venture with Cirrus Logic.

Last edited:
For the same reason they can replicate the processing for Atmos and Auro without using DSP chipsets I guess. They intimated that a DTS UHD upgrade was coming, although they couldn't give too many details because DTS haven't actually launched it yet.

Yes, but DTS will not give them a license to use the codec because they do not employ a Cirrus Logic chipset. DTS-UHD is a joint venture with Cirrus Logic. Cirrus Logic aren't going to be too happy if DTS start handing out license deals that don't include the Cirrus Logic requirements.

I can run Mac OS on a Intel PC, but it doesn't mean I'll still get any support from Apple.

DTS-UHD requires a Cirrus Logic quad core DSP chipset so how can the Altitude32 be upgraded to support DTS-UHD?

Even if they can work around the processing aspects, DTS are still not going to offer them a license because DTS-UHD is a joint venture with Cirrus Logic.
where do you get the idea from that DTS-UHD is only implemented on a Cirrus Logic DSP? It's obviously not the case and it's even implied by that old press release you linked to.

"Many of our licensees rely on Cirrus to provide solutions that allow their products to take advantage of DTS audio codecs. Providing licensees with access to the DTS-UHD decoder will allow them to quickly bring to market products capable of delivering new levels of immersive sound enabled by object-based audio."

i.e. it's just some marketing guff to advertise the fact that Cirrus Logic have a new chipset. There is no requirement to use Cirrus Logic there.

where do you get the idea from that DTS-UHD is only implemented on a Cirrus Logic DSP? It's obviously not the case and it's even implied by that old press release you linked to.

From DTS. I can read and it clearly says:

AVR, HTiB and soundbar licensee partners of DTS that utilize Cirrus Logic quad-core audio DSPs will be able to license the DTS-UHD decoder into their product designs beginning Q2 2014.

From DTS. I can read and it clearly says:
that there is a decoder implemented for cirrus logic and can be licenced by users of that chipset != it's the only decoder that will ever be implemented

do you really think DTS are going to hitch their entire format to a single provider of a chipset?

I can only relate what they released via their press release. If you've issue with it then go tell DTS not me. I didn't write their press release. I'd not attempt to second guess DTS on anything and it may be the case that Cirrus Logic chipsets are not a requirement, but why not simply announce the availability of the licensing without any mention of Cirrus Logic. Why not announce the availability of the licensing full stop?

I can only relate what they released via their press release. If you've issue with it then go tell DTS not me. I didn't write their press release. I'd not attempt to second guess DTS on anything and it may be the case that Cirrus Logic chipsets are not a requirement, but why not simply announce the availability of the licensing without any mention of Cirrus Logic. Why not announce the availability of the licensing full stop?
I don't understand your thought process at all & I don't know where you'd get the idea from that a codec would be tied to a particular chipset. I suspect that is without precedent, at the very least it would be classed extremely unusual behaviour.

I got it from what DTS stated in a press release. Maybe I am misinterpreting it, but it does suggest this and I cannot answer for how DTS have represented it. I'm simply going by what DTS infer, what are you going by?

does this mean we might see some stand alone mb [mother boards] with the new formats now that intel and circus logic are involved

Have to say, from the article, it just means CL have a DSP ready for DTS-UHD; that they are one of the licensees. Its a subtle promotion of CL, but not saying only CL have exclusive rights.

DSPs and DACs are simply chips fabricated to perform fixed operations. A full power CPU can be programmed to do all sorts of computation. Else how do we get DIRAC on PCs?

Its like GPS in cars. I remember back in the day, my sis' car had a GPS and it was not a dedicated unit perse, but a small 486 installed under the passenger seat!

I got it from what DTS stated in a press release. Maybe I am misinterpreting it, but it does suggest this and I cannot answer for how DTS have represented it. I'm simply going by what DTS infer, what are you going by?
as @lokyc has said, I interpret that press release quite differently. Other factors are; Datasat use analog devices sharc DSPs and have confirmed they will offer UHD when available, the comments at CEDIA (off the record) that the denon 5200 will get an upgrade to UHD in Q1 2015 (which also AFAIK use analog devices DSPs), that trinnov will have a software decoder, that I am not aware of any other situation where a codec has been tied to a particular DSP chipset.

Fair enough. I misinterpreted what DTS had revealed, but they do infer what I construed within their press release.

CL were probably the first manufacturers to implement UHD; or they were developed on CL chips under some sort of mutually beneficial arrangement. Like tyres and vehicles.

So Datasat makes a subtle plug for CL.

Well it worked!

I've just spent some time with the trinnov, and I can say it's a very nice bit of kit.
Not ideal conditions so it's very difficult to say how it compares with the Datasat, plus they were using an Atmos demo disc and we are running Auro.
It would be nice to spend more time with it in a proper room set for both Atmos and Auro.

My major concern about a piece of equipment costing this much, no matter what it does, would be the support and guaranteed longevity of the company to provide this in the future. Having never heard of this company before, and after checking their website, they indulge in what looks like very expensive limited kit. And they're French? Thought the economy was in the toilet there.
It would scare the pants of me even if I did have the money to consider buying it. I do wonder as to who comes up with the pricing of some of this supposedly exotica, or do they just pluck a figure from the air?
Let me think, 28 grand..... Now what could I buy with that?
If, god forbid, anything were to happen to them, what then would be the real value of it?
At least companies like Naim, when they produce a £165,000 amplifier, have a solid history and well established client base to justify it. They know where their bread and butter is.
But Trinnov? Ooohhhh! Shivers down my back and cold sweats!
As stated though, this is aimed more at custom installs. Perhaps that market is better positioned for sustainability.

Last edited:
Just because some haven't heard of a company doesn't mean it isn't (very) good at what it does.

Im in no way in the market for a £28000 processor but if I was I would probably suggest that kind of money isn't that much of a concern in the first place.

Just because some haven't heard of a company doesn't mean it isn't (very) good at what it does.

Im in no way in the market for a £28000 processor but if I was I would probably suggest that kind of money isn't that much of a concern in the first place.

I wasn't saying they weren't very good, I said I'd never heard of them.
The point was would it just become and expensive doorstop if the company ceased to support it?
Anyway it's purely hypothetical as I can't imagine there are many here with pockets that deep, because the type of people who have that amount of money to burn wouldn't be on this forum in the first place. They'd be out on their luxury yacht cruising the Carribean, or burning rubber on their newest super car around the Nurbergring, or throwing lavish dinner parties at their Lago Di Como villa. ;)

Bit of a pointless tangent this. As Hugo said, if you can afford it in the first place you probably won't care.

I'm slightly curious of the sound quality of the Altitude once it's running optimised. Can't say I have any issues with the Rs20i. If I didn't have the Datasat, then it'd be a two horse race, but as it stands...all dandy here :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom