Question Tripod recommendations

mpw2081

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Looking for a decent tripod for my canon 50d. Also looking for a head to fot both quick release. I've no idea as never really had a decent camera before and just starting photography now with the wife. Oh not looking to spend a fortune just something to get me started.

You can't go far wrong with one of these - provided you are not wanting to do any video, just stills.

The ball head makes levelling a sinch and you can run it with the legs folded up as a mono-pod where a tripod is either not allowed or would get in the way.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Bembo any good

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200305-152618_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20200305-152618_Facebook.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 55
Manfrotto is generally considered to be one of the better brands and all spares are available.

This one is currently 33% off - and that's a genuine saving, so probably not a lot more than something of similar quality 2nd hand.

A ball head is great for 2nd hand, but you might want a pan and tilt head if you want to do any video. For something quite smooth, you will be looking well into 3 figures, but the beauty of these tripods is that you can change the head to a different type quite easily.

Nothing wrong with the Bembo. Easily on a par with the Manfrotto. What head has it got on it?

Not sure what this one is

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200305-152942_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20200305-152942_Facebook.jpg
    712.9 KB · Views: 48
A basic ball. Quick and easy to use. The Manfrotto one I linked to has a quick set ball, but they do the same thing - getting the camera pointing where you want it and level as quickly as possible.

I've just bought a 50d canon with 4500 shutter count. Loads of extras with a decent lens. So looking for some extras

Nice. I have an old 600D with an 18 - 135 lens for run and gun and a newer 70D with a Sigma 17-55 and Canon 55-250 when I get more serious.

IMG_6997.JPG

After aound 30 tripods in 10 years, I now have a Manfrotto Beefree aluminium tripod. It has a pan tilt fluid head coupled with a ball joint below the head. I do mostly video & it's dead quick to set up. Amazon have it for £149 but look around as it may be cheaper elsewhere. Be careful though as there are various models of Beefree, this is mine https://www.amazon.co.uk/Manfrotto-...manfrotto+befree+tripod&qid=1583427740&sr=8-5

Another vote for Manfrotto. I've had my 055C for years and have the 115 head on it. Not the lightest combination, but very stable and flexible (if that's not a contradiction).

In my experience, if you cut corners and buy a light tripod, you'll end up regretting it.

Whatever you get, try to test it first to see how solid and stable it is.

Edit: Same head, but different tripod, but this looks cracking deal:

Last edited:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Cheers pal a little more than I want to pay
You'll note I've had around 30 tripods in 10 years at an astronomical cost, the Beefree is the best I've had. you'll be saving money not shelling out for loads of tripods you don't like if you aren't careful. If there is a Wex shop near you. you can go & check them out before buying.

Welcome to the Photography Forum!

Looking for a decent tripod for my canon 50d. Also looking for a head to fot both quick release. I've no idea as never really had a decent camera before and just starting photography now with the wife. Oh not looking to spend a fortune just something to get me started.

What are you planning on shooting?
I'm asking because some people - e.g. landscape photographers use tripods all the time - in other circumstances they're not needed at all and will slow you down and get in the way.

I bought a stupidly cheap one from 7Dayshop years ago. I've only used it outdoors once :blush: it gets a run out once or twice a year to take a family group shot on a timer so I can be in the frame but I'm glad I only spent £20 on it in the first place.
I don't shoot video, use lights, do product shots or high speed photography with flash or take long exposure images so a tripod isn't needed (for me).

Looking at MBP and Park Cameras the 50d is £60-90 for the body only used. I'm sure it's a good camera and you'll learn loads with it, but I'm not sure you want to spend more than its value on a tripod before you get going?

I would recommend this book Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson - which many others also recommend - as a great place to being understanding how to take great pictures

You'll almost certainly get better value from taking a lot of photographs and trying out the trials of some of the photo processing software then spending your money there.

Right I managed to get a compact advanced manfrotto brand new from another camera selling site for £45. So will see how that goes

Sorry to hijack your thread! I wondered if anyone could help me find a cheapish tripod for shooting food etc, so with horizontal bar.

Sorry to hijack your thread! I wondered if anyone could help me find a cheapish tripod for shooting food etc, so with horizontal bar.
Buy a used 055 series from Manfrotto if you want the horizontal centre column. Giottos also did a range like this but I'm not sure they're still trading.

You can't go far wrong with one of these - provided you are not wanting to do any video, just stills.

The ball head makes levelling a sinch and you can run it with the legs folded up as a mono-pod where a tripod is either not allowed or would get in the way.
I use one of these for video and have quite good results (I only have 2 sections extended as its for yoga videos). I am only using a Pansonic Lumix, so not a heavy body or lens. Overall a nice little tripod

Been using one of these below for a while and haven't found any faults with it as yet.

Vanguard

Manfrotto are well thought of in the world of amateur astronomy so you cannot go wrong there. For those who like wood there is Berlbach. Awesome tripods.

I've been using a carbon fibre Vanguard for a few years now. Its light enough to travel with but stable even in wind. I'm less in love with their current pistol-grip heads. I'm considering a Manfrotto equivalent but that would mean getting a foot plate converter: Manfrotto don't seem to support Arca Swiss quick release plates.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom